Higher quality textures for the old models ?

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: Higher quality textures for the old models ?

Post by Jorzi »

How hard would it be to simply have it disabled for machines not supporting it and using simple textures instead? All our models (well, at least mine) will be made so that they look good both with and without bumpmaps.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

MaNGusT wrote:
Buginator wrote:Having a fallback for bump mapping / normal mapping / xyz mapping shaders is very difficult, and would mean that the openGL requirements would need to be increased. I don't have a problem with this personally, since I have hardware that can handle it.
can it be together? I mean, make it in this way -> engine checks the hardware, if the video card supports the needed OGL version then the "normal mapping" option will be available to enable, if doesn't then it will be gray(unavailable) and player will see only a regular textures and engine will use a lower OGL version.
In a perfect world, yeah, but that requires us to maintain 2 different rendering engines. We tried that before with the hardware / software renderer, and in the end, the software renderer died off, since nobody could maintain it.
It would require different setup routines as well... :hmm:
Adding in those shaders isn't that hard, but adding it to the current rendering engine would require lots of changes.
especially get rid of wrf's dependence, at least for textures that is used by models. It is the most time consuming sh*t when I want to test a new textures ingame. :x[/quote]
Yeah, WZ's resource system is crappy, and looks like it was made with the PSX in mind.
Jorzi wrote:How hard would it be to simply have it disabled for machines not supporting it and using simple textures instead? All our models (well, at least mine) will be made so that they look good both with and without bumpmaps.
Same answer as to what I told MaNGusT.

Maybe someone can convince i-Nod to take a vacation from what he is doing, and work on Warzone again ? ;)
and it ends here.
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

Buginator wrote:These textures are really very low quality, anyone care to try to improve them ?

These are 256x256, we could use higher resolution version of these. 512x512 would be a good start. :...:
:...: page-9-player-buildings-bases.png
page-9-player-buildings-bases-rockies.png
Buginator, I modified these texpages shown in the quote above 256x256 to 1024X1024!
page-9-player-buildings-bases-rockies.png
page-9-player-buildings-bases.png
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

it looks no different than if you just blew up the original texture :?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

macuser wrote:it looks no different than if you just blew up the original texture :?
you better do a quote on who's talking!!
if you're speaking of my textures, you're wrong, they are different, one from Arizona and the other is of the Mountains!! :lecture:
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Sry bout that, I mean the factory texpages that you listed above
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Black Project wrote:Some progress made on base plates + features, universal feature support were added, so mappers will not have problems placing desert features in a urban map or urban features on a rockies map & etc on future Warzone 3.0.x releases if implemented in-game.

Both textures are 1024x1024 without blur, seems a little pixelized, but looks better than the blurred 256x256 ones.

Scavenger textures are not done yet. Coming soon.
wz2100-20101023_142313-Sk-TBL_X1-T3.jpg
wz2100-20101023_141646-Sk-TBL_X1-T3.jpg
wz2100-20101023_141555-Sk-TBL_X1-T3.jpg
BP
universal feature support were added

Question for Bug: Will this be added to the Base .wz of the latest release ?

I think a number of mappers are chomping at the bit for this (including myself). In particular I wanna use urban building features on both Arizona and Rocky Mountain Terrain Textures. I wanna specifically make it so that a new gameplay element comes to the fore which I call Player Tactical Dynamic Map Deconstruction which as I envision it would make for such a particular map being less susceptible to, for lack of a better expression, walk-throughs & thus make for a less predictable experience (a good thing in my GPM aesthetic).

From my experiments with this there will be an issue now that Tank Transports are enabled for MP. At least it is an issue with the releases I've played with to date. Namely, clipping. Which if you build maps with an significant elevation above sea level and you add Urban Building Features to those upper elevations, those Tank Transports will be flying through and landing within buildings - while by no means a deal-breaker for me it is a bit off-putting to the total immersion experience. Something to consider.

In closing, from my point-of-view, any work on improving the look of Urban Building Features is absolutely NOT a waste of time as has been expressed about the artful enhancement of other game objects like structures and droids. For one those others are pure aesthetics whereas Urban Building Features can be used to directly change for the better (i think) the way game play unfolds tactically.

- Regards, Rman :hmm:

Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Black Project wrote:universal feature support were added
Rman Virgil wrote: Question for Bug: Will this be added to the Base .wz of the latest release ?
Yeah, he submitted a patch, so it should be in the next beta (beta 3).

and with that I am :zZz: (so pardon me if I didn't answer something)
and it ends here.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Black Project wrote:universal feature support were added
Rman Virgil wrote:
Question for Bug: Will this be added to the Base .wz of the latest release ?
Buginator wrote:Yeah, he submitted a patch, so it should be in the next beta (beta 3).

and with that I am :zZz: (so pardon me if I didn't answer something)
Great to hear ! You answered the core of it. (The potential clipping deal can be dealt with down the road.)

Man, along with all the other stuff you been doing - tweaking the New Terrain Renderer for passable / impassable terrain clear demarcation, implementing and balancing the Tank Transport for MP - and now integrating BP's Universal Map Features - what an abundance for fresh creativity and game play to look forward to. Throughly jazzed by the possibilities - and I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. XD

- Regards, Rman :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

After digging around in the artwork forum looking for something else, I accidentally found this:
in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4513
ImageImage
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Hmm, must have been on of the many posts I have missed while I have been away.
I will send him a PM, since we need a license for his work, or else we can't use it. :(

Thanks for the heads up!
and it ends here.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

For coming up with new textures, would it be worth imagining what the world looked like just before it got nexus-nuked? In 2150 (or whatever the year was prior to nexus-nuke) I'm guessing buildings would be looking a fair bit different to how some of them look today. By reimagining what the un-damaged, pre-nuke, buildings might look like it could give some inspiration as to what they'd look like post-nuke?

For example, I always like the powergen designs from [img=http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=machin ... hQfkgJ3YDQ]machines at war[/img] - sort of round nuclear reactor type things that rotate.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Slye_Fox
Trained
Trained

Post by Slye_Fox »

Sources say it was 2085 when the N.A.S.D.A. system developed the """fault""" during the routine system maintenance.

Also;
A lot of the buildings in WZ are more traditional are are very similar to what we have now.

And most of those buildings in the game you posted, can be gotten from these guys.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Jorzi wrote:After digging around in the artwork forum looking for something else, I accidentally found this:
in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4513
We never got a reply from him.. so can't use it. :(

Anyone else working on this ? Would be nice for the 3.1 final...
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Yeah, too bad... :/

I'm currently working on other stuff, though, so I'm afraid you'll have to make do with old stuff for the time being
ImageImage