More varied features for 3.0!

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

More varied features for 3.0!

Post by Dylan Hsu »

To complement the new terrain, I'm putting out a request for some feature models (trees, etc.) with a little bit more polys and detail. One could then combine trees and elevated vegetation terrain, along with perhaps some feature variables, that would create a much more realistic landscape.
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Re: More varied features for 3.0!

Post by Dylan Hsu »

Berg's tree that he didn't want to post himself

Attachment with pie is 3 parts.
Attachments
tree.part03.rar
(84.92 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
tree.part02.rar
(97.66 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
tree.part01.rar
(97.66 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

http://wzgraphicmods.svn.sourceforge.ne ... z?view=tar
Three trees in an archive if some one wants to use them.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Berg wrote:http://wzgraphicmods.svn.sourceforge.ne ... z?view=tar
Three trees in an archive if some one wants to use them.
Very fine work. :)

BTW, did you scale to the Arizona or RM tertile set ? Have you already tried 'em in game with either set ? I'm guessing RM but I haven't tried to put in game yet.

- Regards RV 8)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Rman Virgil wrote:BTW, did you scale to the Arizona or RM tertile set ? Have you already tried 'em in game with either set ? I'm guessing RM but I haven't tried to put in game yet.
I have not used them in game I dont have a map editor that works on Ubuntu
The models are approx one tiles wide and 1 1/2 high being the highest
Rescaling should not be an issue I don't think and I did not know that maps tile sets had different scales if this the case are the tanks and structures scaled to suit the the different maps?
Regards Berg
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote:BTW, did you scale to the Arizona or RM tertile set ? Have you already tried 'em in game with either set ? I'm guessing RM but I haven't tried to put in game yet.
Berg wrote:I have not used them in game I dont have a map editor that works on Ubuntu
The models are approx one tiles wide and 1 1/2 high being the highest
Rescaling should not be an issue I don't think and I did not know that maps tile sets had different scales if this the case are the tanks and structures scaled to suit the the different maps?
Regards Berg
Let me first post a couple pics from FlaME were I mix all 3 Feature sets on the Arizona Tertiles with some specific droid objects as well. I'm doing this in FlaME because compiling and running a map constructed this way yields, at present, a fracked-up visual mess were the textures are not matching up to the apt features or their geometry. Pay especial attention in the second screen blow-up to the Baba/Scav figure, Oil Drum, Well Head Cap & Super Cyborg legs to the right of the Baba Jeep.

Now I'll explain, as best I can, my understanding of this in 360 degrees.

Since the invention of perspective by fine art painters in the early Renaissance, the human figure has served as the standard frame of reference for portrayal of photo realistic scale. This still holds for any technical illustration work (though for fine art this prerequisite expectation / ideal was shattered some 100 plus years ago, like for example, in Picasso and Braque's Cubism).

So I begin with the Scav figure. In RL a 50 gallon drum comes to about waist high on most folk and the 50 gal is the standard so that 1 peep can manage moving it around. In RL the Oil Well Head is just big enough to be managed by 2 pairs of hands. Look at the one boulder in relation to any number of game objects - it's all over the map scale wise.... same with Scav walls, towers, ..... trees in relation to other objects, etc... Anyway, you can see most of the scale anomalies without my pointing them out in the group cap.

Now Pumpkin trumped RL scale for visibility in strategic camera mode and the fudging did not smack you in the face because most of the juxtaposition of objects that would expose scale discrepancies rarely happened in game (if at all in the case of mixing feature sets) and when they did it was usually in the course of a visceral Heat of Battle where cognitive attention was on survival thus trumping any sustained focus on nuanced scale anomalies.

Tanks / Units, playable Base Structs / Defenses remain uniform throughout all the tertile sets (unless placed such in map-making as to be deformed).

Features like Veg are all bounded within 1 tile but can be scaled within relative to whatever other game objects are prevalent within the set. However, now that Scavs and their objects can and are being used by map makers across all 3 tertile sets it makes for a more complex situation visually and how you choose to scale within 1 tile gets tricky.

Btw Pumpkin made Arizona Veg Feature textures (Saguaro Cactus which is prevalent in Arizona and is quite visually arresting) that were never used because they made no models for them.... the res is really poor too.

- Regards, RV :ninja:

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Rman Virgil wrote:Post by Rman Virgil » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:16 am
I see the drum and other objects are mismatched, I have been working off a standard I invented right or wrong it fits the tanks walls structures etc. Basicly keeping things the same size as default from what you point out here is wrong.

Needs more research...?

Regards Berg
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote:Post by Rman Virgil » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:16 am
I
Berg wrote: see the drum and other objects are mismatched, I have been working off a standard I invented right or wrong it fits the tanks walls structures etc. Basicly keeping things the same size as default from what you point out here is wrong.

Needs more research...?

Regards Berg
Probably.

Even though you can't run FlaME you can do GFX file swaps (.Pies & Text pgs) direct without changing, or having to add, any of the set file identifiers in Base.wz Like for your new tree you can see it in game on stock RM maps with tree placements using that procedure. Actually using FlaME first would double the work load to see it in game.

One related area I'm not clear on is the rigid 1 to 1 relationship at present between Feature to a single Tile and how that will work with the New v.3.0 Terrain Renderer. Will it be the same or will you be able to place many features per ? I dunno.

- RV 8)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Im not to sure
Rman Virgil wrote:One related area I'm not clear on is the rigid 1 to 1 relationship at present between Feature to a single Tile and how that will work with the New v.3.0 Terrain Renderer. Will it be the same or will you be able to place many features per ? I dunno.
You would have to enquire with the people that know these things but 1-1 is rigid for now tanks baulk at a feature cyborgs get stuck in them etc.
With the way it is now placing more then one feature per model can get around the 1-1. Do note that the city buildings features are 2x2 at least
Just wondering if the defines for features is stored some place like stats folder, features.txt, structures.txt and wrf files with stats on them maybe make them use 1/4 tile because some are defined as using more then 1 tile.
EG:- Feature key,Width,Breadth,Damageable,Armour,Body points,Graphics file,Type,--->Tiledraw<---,Allow LOS,Start visible
Anyway this is getting way off topic but i got on a roll sorry.
Regards Berg
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Well Berg, I really don't see those considerations as OT because Features can indeed serve gameplay as more than just lovely, immersive, eye-candy.

They can actually expand tactical gameplay in interesting, fresh & fun ways and part of that would necessitate working with their stats.

A couple years back I did work along these lines on another WZ project and the results were impressive visually while at the same taking gameplay to places both amazing & engaging. This involved new Feature Buildings & Structs for the Arizona & Urban sets plus making cliff-face & massive rocks as 3 D models. The stats were adjusted to balance the destructable properties of Features vs the deliberate need to eliminate some of them as part of unfolding tactics and strategy.

This is readily understood in the case of Urban Buildings & Urban Warfare but, like in the case of the giant 3D boulders, mappers could make temporarily obstructed natural terrain passages into the likes of canyons that players would have to discover & remove as part of game play to exploit tactically.

- RV :cool:

macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I think they would look better if the black was replaced with alpha transparency - no jagged black edges in-game.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

What is the scale of warzone's units / buildings / features ?
I have never seen them documented anyplace. O_o
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

scale I reply in a not knowing way.
I look at tiles as 128 pixels across pie files seem to use the same range per model size.
Thats my method.
regard berg
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I have changed the wrecked camper its more the matter of scale that I show here
vw.png
vw3.png
If you noted the size of the man to the camper I think it looks correct if you look at the wrecked blue car it looks way to small for a man to fit.
Also I uploaded the pie and the texture.
There is 2 campers one not damaged and one on its side and a bit beat up.
This matter of scale is frustrating I think the building are too small and features if you want to sync the scale to the units.

Regards Berg
Attachments
wreckvw1-2.tar.gz
(79.09 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

resized campers made them the same size as original
wz2100-20120210_111331-CAM_1A.png
Attachments