Rookie
Rookie

Re: Re-done PIEs

Post by eikei »

that is unbelievably amazing.

:)
now all we need is some way to make those wheels rotate and tilt
That woud be great, but there are two problems:
1. The shaows on the wheels are not real. It is only a texture. So t's impossible to make nice rotating wheels using this method of creating shadows.
2. The warzone's animation method is quite unusual.

But rotating whees are not important, as i see. Wheeled vehicles are fast and it's very difficult to see whether the wheels rotate or not.
Attachments
ssht5.JPG
ssht5.JPG (7.94 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
Sorry for my English:)
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eikei »

I'm going to continue creating new mdels and textures for wz. The only prblem is that I have not much time for it now and that's too bad >:(
Computerboy319
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Computerboy319 »

Not to steal your thunder, if you want, you could be a texturer on my project. My tech project will be finished by today or tomorrow and then I can get to work on making the light cannon. Having someone else do the models will certainly free up a lot of your time...and your textures will probably be better than what I had originally planned, which was to have someone else draw the textures on paper which I would then scan in and resize and refit (although that would have an interesting look to it, come to think...)
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

eikei wrote: I'm going to continue creating new mdels and textures for wz. The only prblem is that I have not much time for it now and that's too bad >:(
Just curious did you create that viper body and wheel propulsion with pie slicer?and what is the size of the body/wheel texture?
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eikei »

Just curious did you create that viper body and wheel propulsion with pie slicer?and what is the size of the body/wheel texture?
Yas, I used PieSlicer to create the models. The size of textures is 256x256 for each model. PieSlicer cannot work with larger textures as you know.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

eikei wrote: Yas, I used PieSlicer to create the models. The size of textures is 256x256 for each model. PieSlicer cannot work with larger textures as you know.
yes, but you can multiply all texture coords by 4 after you're done with pie slicer, and it should immediately work with 1024x1024 textures.
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eikei »

I think 1024x1024 is too large for vehicles. But it would be good for buildings for exumple.
The Noid
Rookie
Rookie

Post by The Noid »

:o Damn, these look good!  :)
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

eikei wrote: I think 1024x1024 is too large for vehicles. But it would be good for buildings for exumple.
Yes that's right. I ve been thinking about this before and came t the conclusion that using a single texture file per model was the most logical and easy choice. Like you said, small models quite use 256*256 or even smaller textures and large models like buildings could use large ones. This way you also don't have to bother accidentally breaking other models textures. But as far as i know there's still a limit to the amount of texpages warzone can read. As long as that's not replaced, we can forget about making separate textures for each model. :(
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

i was just thinking of something, as far as i know, throughout the history of warfare, the hardware used was always marked with the flag,logo,... of the side that used it. Wouldn't it be nice if your white logo on the side of the wheels would be replaced by the project logo? It would've looked really bad in the old textures but with the improved resolution used by these models, it could look really great :p

edit: building on the previous: What if all factions in game could have their own textures? These would replace the kinda boring team colors. I m not sayingthey would have to be completely different for each faction but changing a logo and some colors would be nice :)
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Hatsjoe wrote: i was just thinking of something, as far as i know, throughout the history of warfare, the hardware used was always marked with the flag,logo,... of the side that used it. Wouldn't it be nice if your white logo on the side of the wheels would be replaced by the project logo? It would've looked really bad in the old textures but with the improved resolution used by these models, it could look really great :p
... i think that "white logo" is the project logo, and if so, i think it's a really damned stylish representation, so i'm personally in favor of keeping it exactly as it is, or leaving it to eikei's discretion.
Hatsjoe wrote: edit: building on the previous: What if all factions in game could have their own textures? These would replace the kinda boring team colors. I m not sayingthey would have to be completely different for each faction but changing a logo and some colors would be nice :)
not tough to do, since you can do whatever you want with team colors -- i did just that for my (abandoned) world war 2 mod.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

kage wrote: ... i think that "white logo" is the project logo, and if so, i think it's a really damned stylish representation, so i'm personally in favor of keeping it exactly as it is, or leaving it to eikei's discretion.
I first thought the same. hopefully eikei can confirm
kage wrote: not tough to do, since you can do whatever you want with team colors -- i did just that for my (abandoned) world war 2 mod.
But who's going to ?
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

kage wrote: yes, but you can multiply all texture coords by 4 after you're done with pie slicer, and it should immediately work with 1024x1024 textures.
No, need to modify any texture coordinates at all. All you need to do is swap out the 256x256 texture with one of your own size.

You do not need to modify anything about the PIE file as long as you keep the relative positions in your textures the same. So you only need to use a 256x256 texture with PIEslicer, just swap that in warzone with a 512x512 one for example. (Warzone automatically recalculates the texture coordinates to fit correctly.)
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

i see... so if the pie asks for a 256 256 texpage, and the texpage is actually some multiple of two that's larger than that, warzone will automatically adjust texture coords as necessary? what if you have the pie ask for, say, a 512 512 texture? also, what's the largest supported texpage resolution atm?
Kyor
Trained
Trained

Post by Kyor »

In my new textures project, all textures are 1024*1024 with 32bit colors... I'm replacing the textures with extremelly real textures, then, you think the graphics are cool even if the zoom are maxed =]