Re-done PIEs

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Re-done PIEs

Post by Rman Virgil »

* Yep. That would all make a huge difference.

* I can see that between Kage & Deus there's a mighty powerful & practical vision-strategy for bringing the WRP WZ GFX into the 21st Century.

* Now comes into play that aforementioned unified support for the  effort that can sustain focus to the term of these goals. In RL that always falls to passionate, inspireing & inclusive leadership.

- RV :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

Uhm, I'd like to add a little support here, now I'm not really a leader type (or I don't want to be... ;)) and my modelling/coding skills aren't of the quality required to do this stuff... but I do have an FTP server which might solve the
and give them an upload-through-web-interface account on some server

bit of the 'problem' :)
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Rider wrote: Uhm, I'd like to add a little support here, now I'm not really a leader type (or I don't want to be... ;)) and my modelling/coding skills aren't of the quality required to do this stuff... but I do have an FTP server which might solve the bit of the 'problem' :)
that sounds fantastic :)

at some point i'm even thinking we can code a database-style frontend for searching, viewing, and comparing mods -- such a system could tie into ftp servers, and possibly work its way in to the actual wz menu :)
Ursa
Trained
Trained

Post by Ursa »

Are these updated models likely to be included in a future release of Warzone, because some of these are leaps and bounds better than the originals (I like the Machineguns BTW)
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

It looks like devs aren't much interested in putting these models in game, altough it would be good to have better models in Warzone.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

doom3r wrote: It looks like devs aren't much interested in putting these models in game, altough it would be good to have better models in Warzone.
I wouldn't say that.

It looks kinda strange to only have some models done, and they would have to make sure they are setup correctly.

If people can test those out, and confirm they have no issues, that would be a big help to the devs.

(and by no issues, you have to take into account how many polygons the units have compared to the original, and then build lots of them, and see if you get framerate hits and whatnot.)
and it ends here.
Ursa
Trained
Trained

Post by Ursa »

Are these released on any public source?

I have a rather ludicrous amount of free time coming up, and could test these.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Ursa wrote: Are these released on any public source?

I have a rather ludicrous amount of free time coming up, and could test these.
* That's exactly what Deus, Rider & Kage were talking about making a reality a few posts up here.

* I've seen no announcemet that it has been done yet so I would say the answer to your question is, sadly, no.

* But perhaps they are indeed working on it and it's not ready just yet.

* Perhaps that will be clarified here with your question.

- RV :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

*necro*

Is there any hope this project will ever see the light of day?
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Rider wrote:*necro*

Is there any hope this project will ever see the light of day?
Resurrecting the dead are we ? Or is it just plain necrophilia ? J/K O_O

Read the whole thread. Interesting in many respects. But in answer to your question.....

With the GFX pipeline unchanged as of yet and the prevailing culture slanted toward eliciting inequity aversion, I'd hazard a guess & say the chances of this thread's efforts (or any like it coming down the pike in the immediate future) of ever being completed is as likely to happen as the folks in Purgatory licking ice cream cones or suffering frost bite.. O_o That said, once the GFX pipeline is fulfilled as per the WRP development roadmap the chances of this project being realized in total will improve dramatically by leaps and bounds. I think Deus said it best (& with a genuinely amusing analogy to boot) earlier in this thread (Btw, Deus is a fine artist and knows his craft deeply from all I have reviewed over time... Plus he's a hella sharp cool cat, IMHO. How's that for a mixed-metaphor but genuine prop.)
Deus Siddis wrote:There are a couple of things that would smooth the way for graphical artists to help bring the wrp into this decade visually.

The first would be the creation of tools and a method of content handling that allows models, textures and animations to go easily from the powerful free open source content creation tools like blender and gimp (as well as popular commercial 3ds max and photoshop) into warzone and then, using editor tools or by editing xml files, set how they function in game (body, propulsion and weapon stats for example) without having to recode and recompile or spend hours hunting down non-official documentation on the forum or having to ask the folks who created these tools, how to use them (full documentation would be downloaded with them or could be found in the wiki). The simpler and more standard this process is in relation to the content pipelines of other recent mod-friendly games, the more time and effort artists can and will be willing to put into actually making the content that will go into the next wzr build. Fortunately, it looks like this will be the next big focus for this project, after the current beta phase is over.

The second is to heavily upgrade or replace altogether the ancient graphics engine wz currently uses. This makes it much more rewarding to make massive overhauls, your efforts not being limited by a lack of non-ambient lighting, shaders or engine limits on resolutions or polycounts.

Otherwise it is a little like painting for free a mona lisa replica on fax paper, scanning it in askew and then rotating it back digitally, converting it to jpeg at a '90s compression level and then displaying it on 16 color monitors. Or like trying to optimize the current warzone codebase so that it can be run on history's fastest vacuum tube computer. :o

Okay I'm exaggerating a little but you get the idea. ;D

Regards, whip :ninja:
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand