Models by macuser

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Re: Models by macuser

Post by milo christiansen »

IMHO: The warzone engine with a little(LOT) of work will be just as good or better than trying to graft in a new engine. A new engine will make a lot of work and take a lot of time to add, during which new bugs will be introduced. :augh:
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Well the way the engine renders stuff is so inefficient and full of spaghetti code, it seems like it would be better to start over.
Well this weekend a friend of mine told me about a game called wolfenstien ET: a FPS allies vs axis. So i tried it out - nice game only boring after a while BUT I would guess is has a LOT more polygons than wz2100 and i know it had things like normal maps too, however it ran perfectly fine on an old mac laptop i have with 64 mb graphics card 43FPS average! it did not even ever turn my fan on!

What puzzles me is: why does warzone, having less polys and less mapping features like normal maps, slow down on that laptop to about 15FPS and it does make my fan come on when wolfenstien ET does not?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Remember that much of the stuff that slows down the game is not in the rendering engine, like pathfinding, ai, defensive structures' base vertices projecting against the ground etc..
Changing the render engine propably won't speed this up.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

The proposition is NOT to simply graft a new render engine - it is preceded by a strategic coding design development course change that was stated clearly in a previous post that was ignored via a transparent ploy to engender anomie to side-step the valid point raised (which is never gonna work to a respectable end, to be sure, especially with a native New Yorker). :3

- Yebo, sanibonani. :ninja:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

well anyhow.... it is just my opinion ;) . i'll try and help as much as i can once i'm done with my c++ class
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

About the twinmg, unfortunately I have been unable to reproduce your problem, do you import in 2.49 or 2.5x?
Anyway, uploading the blend here...
Attachments

[The extension blend has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

ImageImage
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

tried both, but thanks ;)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Well this is kind of wierd.... I open up the blend file and it does not freeze but there is nothing in the file - it is blank.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

ARGH no wonder... I accidentally linked it instead of appending it (which means it looks for the model from another .blend file on my hard drive)
Attachments

[The extension blend has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

ImageImage
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Thanks ;)

here ya go :) just a quick color job here
Attachments
1.tiff
1.tiff (46.34 KiB) Viewed 6263 times
twinmg.zip
(584.78 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Some more modifications:
Attachments
1.tiff
1.tiff (98.02 KiB) Viewed 6250 times
twinmg.zip
(587.95 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Ok, looks nice so far, but remember to make the teamcolour into a 1-bit tcmask. Also maybe make the blue less saturated and some more details on the barrel cooler.
Another idea: what about some numbers/inscriptions (just a quick idea I had recently)
ImageImage
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Started work on heavy laser highpoly

Attachments
hlaser.png
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Pretty nice start, although I think a few changes to the overall shape might be good.
-The barrel needs some way to adjust its elevation, and a simple mirror wouldn't really be sufficient when considering the intensity of the beam...
-the front could use some heavy sloped armour plating
-also, for texturing it really needs a warning sign like this somewhere :P http://shaktronics.com/files/2010/02/bi ... -laser.gif
ImageImage
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

LOL OK XD . 1 How does it currently adjust elevation? 2 Sloping armor... sure thing.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage