Regular

Re: Models by macuser

Post by macuser »

More revisions
Attachments
vtol.png
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Lowpoly 108 tris
Attachments
vtol_low_tri.png
vtol_low_tri.png (11.21 KiB) Viewed 8572 times
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Wireframe plz? Is there an opening in the wing?
Oh and by the way (on the hipoly), the turbine blades need to be thicker and rounder, see aerofoil on google ;)
In general it is good practice to make even the thinnest objects have some thickness...
Also try to avoid perfectly sharp edges, it is much preferable to either round them with subsurf or bevel them (or both :P )
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

There is no opening on the lowpoly.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I have farther reduced the lowpoly by using geometry that goes through other geometry. 61 tris
Attachments
vtol_low.png
vtol_low.png (11.28 KiB) Viewed 8513 times
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Ah, at first I thought the shadow was part of the geometry,but now I see how it works :)
Just one thing: Am I mistaken or does the wing get infinitely flat along this edge?
Attachments
vtol_low.png
ImageImage
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Yes, is that a problem? I can change that if u like.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

It's only a "problem" if you can clearly see it from certain angles, since it might not look so good...
Wings usually have a certain thickness, so I'd say try to change it, since you have some poly budget left to spare anyway ;)
ImageImage
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Long due update:
Attachments
render.png
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

IgorBrehm
Trained
Trained

Post by IgorBrehm »

much better than the original one 8)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Looking good :)
Are you planning to do some kind of transition shape between the square intake and the circular turbine? (can be challenging to get right, but a good excercise)
ImageImage
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hey man, nice work!

I've actually arrived from my classes, looked into that model and thought up about it myself a little bit. Then I've made a draft, perhaps it has something that may inspire you? IDK, but I'll post a link here and maybe it'll make new ideas sprout :P

More info and screenshots at the respective thread, out of off-topic's harm:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8493#p88213

Now I shall be going, see ya! Keep up the good work :D

~Olrox
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

nice Smooth model Olrox =)

macuser: I think body looks like python from game & I think it should not be like that. It supposed to be a flight machine so it should be smooth. But overall seems & looks good, has a familiar original parts combined with new stuff. I like it.
Last edited by Terminator on 04 Oct 2011, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Python body is by Mangust and Olrox.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Terminator wrote:nice Smooth model Olrox =)

macuser: I think body looks like python from game & I think it should not be like that. It supposed to be a flight machine so it should be smooth. But overall seems & looks good, has a familiar original parts combined with new stuff. I like it.
Hey Terminator,

Thanks.

About the aircraft body, that's one of the most traditional paradigms in WZ2100 - How do we ally modular unit design with verisimilar aircraft outputs?
IMHO that can be shortly put "We can't do it with the current turret designs", regardless of the body-propulsion interaction. Even if the propulsion is awesomely blended with the propulsions so that it looks like actual aerodynamical fuselage (which becomes a little more likely with the smoother models brought by AR, going a bit away from the extreme boxy looking old models even though the main design guidelines are mantained), the turret is undeniably the cherry on the top of the implicit inconsistency.

That is, speaking of fixed-wing aircraft of course. I believe that rotor-wing aircraft look reasonably OK with current turrets as well as modular propulsion.

Another solution for fixed-wing designs would be to make distinct models for the turrets (the game already separates the files from the VTOL weapons anyway, it'd be more of an artistical trouble if you get where I'm going). I grew very fond of the idea but I'm a dreamer anyway :P

Another way to make them look more like aircraft could be via codes that altered the body meshes in-game, scaleing them to be a ittle bit narrower, thinner and longer, so that they look less boxy? I dunno. Unlikely to happen & look good anyway.

I believe that mixed designs like V-22 osprey one's would fit the bill better than what we know as WZ VTOL designs. Part fixed wing, part rotating rotor, that provides some axial rotation which would be more harmonious with turrets (which also have axial rotation). That is, if we ever get the mythical event-driven animations in a feasible way.

Bottom line is, I think that anything other than light bodies with small turrets will look absurd with the current design method. We either get over it, or... get over it 8)

~Olrox