Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: Tcmask, Animation and Models Info and Ideas

Post by KukY »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Anyways, it's here now :lecture:
But he isn't...

Berg, in what way did you achieve this effect?
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf3T01b5g8M the animation on the bodies is for show only as i did not have a premade body for wulfkind to use we just renamed walls to a body.

Wilfkind did more coding and has enabled animatoin for bodies and tracks also.
the tracks only animate when moving so this allows fans to work on wings only when the vtol is moving and or any animation on tracks.

Regards Berg
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Berg wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf3T01b5g8M the animation on the bodies is for show only as i did not have a premade body for wulfkind to use we just renamed walls to a body.
That was entertaining :)
Berg wrote:Wilfkind did more coding and has enabled animatoin for bodies and tracks also.
the tracks only animate when moving so this allows fans to work on wings only when the vtol is moving and or any animation on tracks.
Always tried to imagine what this would look like.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

KukY wrote:Berg, in what way did you achieve this effect?
:lol2: texture flipping

I had a great deal of help from everyone.

Regards Berg
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Berg wrote: :lol2: texture flipping
Well, I wasn't sure was it that or was the same texture moving up-down...
natbob1
Trained
Trained

Post by natbob1 »

I was quite entertained by the electric fence units. :D I'm glad to hear that the abilities to animate the units is being expanded.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

At the moment I am working on the animation of truck wheels.

I have made a vid but my poor old PC is struggling to get a close up and render the game recording the desktop.

If you look closely the wheels are turning when truck is moving and stop when its idle.

Question is. If its worth animating the tracks on smaller tanks?

Anyway thats a question for another day.

here is the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUE567QE_z8.

Comming soon to a warzone near you animated bodies and wall section model.

http://wzgraphicmods.sourceforge.net/

I will compile a windows installer with the new animation code in it when I have added a few models with example animations using the new code.

If you want to play with a sourcecode version with the animation code you can svn check out.

svn co https://wzgraphicmods.svn.sourceforge.n ... erg-models models-animation

There has some animated model in it but no wall body or tack models yet.

Enjoy folks and if you want to add models you have made and or need some assistance ill be on IRC most Australian day time periods.

Have fun

Regards Berg
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Berg wrote:If you look closely the wheels are turning when truck is moving and stop when its idle.
Good enough for beginning but, as for me, I prefer frame-based texture animation, like gif animanition works. :)

Current texture animation has no future, imho.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

MaNGusT wrote:
Berg wrote:If you look closely the wheels are turning when truck is moving and stop when its idle.
Good enough for beginning but, as for me, I prefer frame-based texture animation, like gif animanition works. :)

That may be true. Nevertheless, exploring every possibility is extremely valuable in finding out the most suitable solution. There's no harm in trying and seeing the outcome. It helps provide substantial results to base final conclusions on. :hmm:
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

MaNGusT wrote:Good enough for beginning but, as for me, I prefer frame-based texture animation, like gif animanition works. :)

Well I dint know you can do texture animation show me this animation.

Will be interesting to see what you have done with it.

Put a video up with it in game?
Wulfkind
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wulfkind »

No future? Well, just as soon as you can provide a animated gif (who uses gif files anymore?) patch that has the kind of control Berg has shown you, I'll believe you.

It sickens me to the bone that you must be so petty as to just out and attack an achievement of something that HAS NOT BEEN DONE BEFORE without so much as saying well done. Regardless of what your views are on the future of the game engine it is still important to nurture people who have REAL ideas and a real chance of actually applying those ideas.

Seriously, please prove me wrong and provide an example of a better way to do this, otherwise, let Berg have his time in the sun. I was there working with him all day yesterday to accomplish what he has shown you and I will tell you now, we thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it.

Personally, I don't write code for Warzone for anyone but my own and Bergs enjoyment, if you do not like something that has been done, go do better and come back with a better example, otherwise, keep your petty opinions to yourself.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

MaNGusT wrote:Current texture animation has no future, imho.
because number of frames are limited by the texture "size". This way we can't do the smooth animation.
I prefer frame-based texture animation, like gif animanition works.
I didn't say that I use gifs(engine doesn't support it anyway). I said - like gif animation. I just wanted to advise you in which direction you should move and don't waste your time.
like gif animanition works
I mean it would be better if texture animation will work so: split frames into many png files and then when we need(event-based) play it from 1st to last with necessary speed. This way, there is no limit in a texture size and number of frames.

You are so nervous. What's wrong with you? Do you think that I criticize your works because I have nothing to do? :wink:
I can shut up if you are not interested in my opinion.
Wulfkind
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wulfkind »

MaNGusT wrote:[You are so nervous. What's wrong with you? Do you think that I criticize your works because I have nothing to do? :wink:
I can shut up if you are not interested in my opinion.
Actually, you're right, I'm not interested.

As for whats wrong with me? Not a lot mate, just don't like it when someone bags out my work without valid constructive criticism, most people get along with me. Either way, what Berg and I accomplished works and works well, if you have any concise and intelligent suggestions to make, I'm very interested to hear them.
Wulfkind
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wulfkind »

MaNGusT wrote: I mean it would be better if texture animation will work so: split frames into many png files and then when we need(event-based) play it from 1st to last with necessary speed. This way, there is no limit in a texture size and number of frames.

I'll actually talk about your suggestion now that it is clear...

It is an interesting idea, but I think people commonly forget that many people who run this game don't have the resources to load metric tons worth of images. The issue with that idea is the 'frames' still need to be cached in memory for quick access. The way that it is done at present (texture pages) or even perhaps implementing something like an animation page (seperate from your normal textures) may work a bit better with less sacrifice made to system resources. That way if an animation ever does need to play it is a: ready to go and b: not loaded if there is no chance it will be played.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

MaNGusT wrote:I mean it would be better if texture animation will work so: split frames into many png files and then when we need(event-based) play it from 1st to last with necessary speed. This way, there is no limit in a texture size and number of frames.
So you are recommending a new engine to make all this possible or you have already got this engine working?

I understand what you are saying I also understand the limitations of a lot of the playing community face as my PC is classed as a low end PC.

You say you can use multi images to achieve a better animation so for example you would need 32 images to make an electric fence as shown in this thread or would you use more?

Next will these be using PIE format?

Do you intend for your animation to use tcmask or will there be no future for that either?

If you do use tcmask as I understand it you will need to have multi images for that also to follow your animated images otherwise the team colour will be out if in animation so now you double the images required. Tsmask will require double the ram on your already ram hungry method.

Anyway it's all well and good to get ideas on what you are trying to say but I think if you show the community exactly what you have done then and ex-plane how you did it then there is no reason not to use your ideas and also those here in this thread.

After all the thread is call animation ideas and info

So show your work and don't posture with statements like it has no future and not ex-plane yourself in full.

So far you have been less then constructive in your approach.

If you dont have working animation to show ingame then say so otherwise justify yourself.