Tcmask, Animation and Models Info and Ideas

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Berg
Regular
Regular

Tcmask, Animation and Models Info and Ideas

Post by Berg »

This is not an attempt at being a guide or a lesson.
Ok this thread is about the trunk models for now, Buginator asked for new models and Im sure you artists are well on the way to making some wonderfull textures and pie's so here is what little I know about Tcmask and texture animations
It has been discussed in a few threads about tcmask and animation in the same or different threads, and how they conflict on the same pie. As of a few minutes ago SafetyOff gave me a patch for trunk to test.
The patch was to enable both tcmask and animations AND worked as expect so now we can have both on the same models.
I am not a good narrator so any info you need is best to ask here.
In the wiki the pie format is explained although a lot is missing from it there is a good deal of info to learn http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/PIE_format .
For those who understand how to patch here it is:-

Code: Select all

Index: lib/ivis_opengl/piedraw.c
===================================================================
--- lib/ivis_opengl/piedraw.c	(revision 10793)
+++ lib/ivis_opengl/piedraw.c	(working copy)
@@ -289,7 +289,7 @@
 		polyCount++;

// Run TextureAnimation (exluding the new teamcoloured models)
-		if (frame && pPolys->flags & iV_IMD_TEXANIM && !(shape->flags & iV_IMD_TCMASK))
+		if (frame && pPolys->flags & iV_IMD_TEXANIM && !(shape->flags & iV_IMD_TCMASK && shape->numFrames == 8))
 		{
 			frame %= shape->numFrames;
Just patch from top directory

As i said Im not good at this narrating so please excuse the randomness if any in this post

Tcmask is rather interesting effect I found by mixing the saturation to some degree I could achieve very subtle shades of what ever team colour you found yourself in but with the grey and black team this effect looked rather out of place so I refrained from painting walls of structures with team mask rather I just used it on small areas on the bas structures. sidings etc. or the F1 on factories.
There is already a guide for how to make tcmask on this thread viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4951
I do note that just de-saturating and coping those sections to a tcmask image works very well.
When I was doing the tcmask on the old models for trunk I had to lighten the old team colour sections a bit to get colour to show at least close to what used to be team colours. These still need work, fine tuning there is a patch I made here http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/1757 If anyone wants to redo the texture or finds errors in patch please help.

Ok that about it for mask any question or ideas just add them to this thread.

Now the animation and above mentioned patch
By default all team colours and animations in pie format are the same flag (see pie format) the patch now makes it possible to use the same flag as before for animations excluding 8 frame animations. From what I understand any other frame amount will be treated as animation 8 frames will be ignored.
Hope this info is useful for you.

Best regards
Berg
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: Tcmask, Animation and Models Info and Ideas

Post by Berg »

More info today i was attempting to make a 5 frame animation
I started with 2 frames to test my texture positions etc
This worked so I then continued to add the 2 frames to 4 different sets of faces on the pie this all worked
Proceeding further I added 5 frames to one of the faces...this did not work it continued to use 2 frame animation.
After asking I found that if you have animation in a pie the frames are all to be the same otherwise it defaults to the lowest frame count as being default for all.
Hope I explained that correctly and I hope it is helpful.

Regards Berg
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

For people that can't compile on Windows, here is a version of svn trunk with the tcmask patch applied so animation and tcmask models work https://sourceforge.net/projects/wzgrap ... e/download
Please give Ideas and feed back to this thread
regards Berg
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Hmm ideas, feedback. The first thing I can think of is if someone would implement event driven animation. For instance half-tracks/tracks turning when the droid itself moves.

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Here is a mod that uses Tcmask and has animations for you to play with.
the mod will not work well unless you patch trunk or use the win build on the link above
This mod is for trunk only
Attachments
animation.wz
(681.75 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Here is a short video of ingame animation.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDaltx#p/u/0/cb9XgNPhRmk

Regards Berg
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Thanks, but I can't tell what you animated in the movie :?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

macuser wrote:Thanks, but I can't tell what you animated in the movie :?
The cyborg factory door's upper part and the power generator's modules' top parts. Those are texture animations only, I believe.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Prob becuase my frame rate on my laptop with flash videos is horrible :stressed: .
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

News on animations Safetyoff has fixed a few more things and given modellers the ability to move the power rings on the power generators using connectors that actualy work.
Here you will find the Patch http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/1932
You can place the factory smoke anywhere with connectors and you have now 3 puffs to play with.
The mind boggles at the design you may come up with using the new power rings position.
Each individual ring needs a connector so have fun.

Regards Berg

JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Berg wrote:Here is a short video of ingame animation.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDaltx#p/u/0/cb9XgNPhRmk

Regards Berg

The possibilities of in-game animation are mind-blowingly amazing!! Woah! That video looked like it made WZ2100 more alive :shock:
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Ok folks with safertoff new patch I can now control texture animations frame rate and count I have done little to no testing but what I have seen is magic pie files can now use texture animations and the limits are only what you set them to be.

Note this is only for structure animations so far.

Some help with testing would be a help.

This fix is for trunk only I have not tested it on stable release.

you can find the patch for the fix http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/1871 here.
I like to thank SafetyOff for putting up with me.

Regards Berg
m1ndgames
Trained
Trained

Post by m1ndgames »

from what ive seen.. it looks so much better now! thanks for the great work! :bowdown:
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

After some testing I have found I can apply all three patches.

Animated Tcmask patch

Power rings connector define Patch

Frame rate and frame count patch.

These are all in this thread or have links

Thing to note is the animation looks like it is not working when rate is very high speed.
The animation data should be added to you poly co-ords in this order this is also in wiki.

Animation flag = 4000 + poly co-ord flag

Points count = 3 (this is fixed)

Then you have the 3 points in data used

Then you will need frame count you can use anything except 8 that is reserved for old team colour

Then Frame rate=1-# I have found that a rate of 10000 is about 1 second delay (note be higher then 100 is good)

Then you need your texture size 2 co-ords width and height on texture page. (normally =width height of face.)

after that you have your 6 co-ords for your poly 3 points

example data 4200 3 62 63 82 5 200 44 44 43 233 39 246 22 233

Regards Berg