Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by Jorzi »

Thanks guys :)
Here's the textured lowpoly, 118 triangles...
How much texture space should be devoted to features like this btw? currently it is 256x256 with additional space for a 128x128 map. I'm wondering because there are quite a few features and my current models already use approximately 30 texpages (not counting normalmaps and tcmasks) how high can the tcmask numbering go and would it be easier to handle if we merged some of the texpages?
Attachments
oilwell2.jpg
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

There is no finite limitation on the number of texture pages. It would be nice to merge them, though, as it would mean less texture switching on the GPU.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Ok, not that hard to do, although I'll have to re-export the models of course (and that has to be done anyway when we change to a new format)
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I didn't see that commercial games use merged textures, well, not so regular. It's very inconvenient for designers.

about Oil well. the black color of oil should shine and have some reflections. :)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Yeah, will fix that once specular maps get supported ;)
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

oh .. and add more blue colors to the metal parts :roll:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Are you sure it needs more blue? (yeah I know the original was quite blue but I think the new one looks ok ingame)

Also, final update for tonight: Scavenger buggy
Attachments
oilwell_ingame.jpg
buggy1.jpg
ImageImage
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

MaNGusT wrote:I didn't see that commercial games use merged textures, well, not so regular. It's very inconvenient for designers.
The original Warzone2100 was a commercial game, and it used merged textures ;-)

But I suspect most modern games have a tool that stitches the textures up in an optimal way as the data files are packed for release, or something like that, instead of doing it manually. (It could also be the case that the Pumpkin's had such a tool, and we are just seeing the end result of it.)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

screenshot of the oil is good. btw why is the terrain around the oil so orange. Desaturate it to fit terrain texture color. :-)

about baggy - nice! would it be better to place the weapon on top of the buggy?
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Per wrote:But I suspect most modern games have a tool that stitches the textures up in an optimal way as the data files are packed for release, or something like that, instead of doing it manually. (It could also be the case that the Pumpkin's had such a tool, and we are just seeing the end result of it.)
what modern games do use merged textures? just imagine this: we have thousands of texture files, we need to sort em, put em to the right folders to be able to find needed ones in a future for some purpose. It's the 1st problem.
2nd: do you understand what do uvw mean? I really don't want to edit each model for this because I may "miss click" and texture will be a bit twisted or stretced. :(
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

The orange tint on the ground is partly because of specularity (lack of spec map) but I guess a bit of desaturation would also be good.
About buggy: on the original buggy model the gun is placed like that since it is operated by the driver, while on the jeep, it is on the roof and operated by a second person. I think it would be good to keep this difference...

About merging texpages: Mangust has a point about having to do it manually potentially causing small errors. A script would be nicer (I think blender has one actually) and the most convenient thing would be if the game did it internally. However, in my current mod I have a total of ~120 texpages (tcmasks and normalmaps not included) as well as normal mapping and a secondary lightsource for sky reflection and I am noticing no slowdowns at all on my single core athlon 64 with an nvidia 8600 gt card.
ImageImage
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

Mhmm, I think it is best to leave them unmerged until later when more thorough cost/benefit analysis can be performed.
MaNGusT wrote:I really don't want to edit each model for this because I may "miss click" and texture will be a bit twisted or stretced. :(
Who knows, maybe that's where all the off-by-one errors in the current models came from.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Some updates on the buggy...
Attachments
buggy2.jpg
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

nice! how many polys has the lowpoly model? :)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Forgot to mention that :)
Lowpoly is 158 triangles, which I think is fairly low considering that it has no separate turret or propulsion.
I'm planning to do a simple interior to the cockpit as well, using alpha channel for the steel beams.
Attachments
buggy3.jpg
ImageImage