Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Re: Cannon models (light, medium and heavy). Request to join

Post by Crymson »

Damn dude, that is pretty slick! :cool:
You guys really need to release this stuff so we can show people in game, their jaws will drop!
icefire
Trained
Trained

Post by icefire »

Crymson wrote:Damn dude, that is pretty slick! :cool:
You guys really need to release this stuff so we can show people in game, their jaws will drop!
If they are used to seeing modern games, they probably won't.

Back on topic,
You say that the coloring will hopefully distinguish this model enough from the machinegun. But what I always identified them with is their long shiney barrels and angular turret bases.

This new model is neither, and I am very concerned that people new to the game will be even more confused than normal if these were implemented in AR, and from there into Warzone. (lets face it, if this mod actually gets done it's probably 90% chance it will be integrated)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

"As close as possible to originals" © motto of the AR team :lecture:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

icefire wrote: This new model is neither, and I am very concerned that people new to the game will be even more confused than normal if these were implemented in AR, and from there into Warzone. (lets face it, if this mod actually gets done it's probably 90% chance it will be integrated)
We may rescale the back of the turret so that it sesembles this "angular look" you're talking about. I also think that the barrel may be scaled ub a bit? Both the housing (brown stage in you textures) and the barrel itself?

Mangust is very skilled in making those changes that resemble the original models :wink:

~Olrox
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I've always thought of the straight cannon barrel as being simply a way of saving polygons for more important purposes
but I've thought about it and made some changes, I'll post them tomorrow
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

The latest version. Note that the textures are preliminary
ImageImage
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Jorzi wrote:Image
The latest version. Note that the textures are preliminary
Nice, they look more like the old cannons. What do you guys think, are the changes acceptable or do we need to make it more like the old cannon? :hmm:

I think it's fine now, the barrel housing creates a new look that will probably make cannons easier to distinguish from other weapons - with improved textures, they look completely awesome :D (I've made those already, we are just creating some expectative :twisted: )

~Olrox
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I dunno. Personally, I'd prefer the metrics of the barrels to match the old models even more closely. I otherwise like them.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hmm, Jorzi, can you import the original PIEs so that we can compare their sizes? I dunno to which level the perspective distorts the cannons' apparent size, but it'd be nice to have something to use as reference, just in case. Just Import the three cannons, both "gun" and "turret", and rescale all of them in an equal rate, until their size match what you think is best in relation to your models :)

Zarel, you mean the proportion between the barrel diameter and its length, right? - Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

An option to make the barrel's proportionality more close would be to make the whole model bigger, until the barrel diameter is the same, and then change its length until it is similar enough to the original cannon. The turret size can be a bit bigger, I think there's no problem with that :ninja:

~Olrox
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Actually, when we're doing metrics, better just to do no perspective at all; just use isometric/orthographic rendering.

Barrel diameter is the most important part - as an artist, you have to realize that a significant number of people (I'd venture to guess a majority) will be playing the game zoomed out as much as possible, and the barrel should be clearly visible at that resolution.

The barrel should also be a bit thicker for Heavy Cannon than Light Cannon.

At this size:

It should be about that readable, i.e. about four pixels wide.
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

This might just be me, but I'm also finding it hard to distinguish between the 3 cannons. They just look like slightly bigger versions of the same model now, which I can imagine won't help telling them apart ingame.

Maybe some minor adjustments to the turret shape would help there. Make them a bit higher for instance.

They do look pretty sweet though! Hats off to you! :)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

There you go :)
I personally think the sizes are about right and I don't think that barel visibility will be a problem. The original barrel texture actually seems to be designed to make the barrel look thinner so that the muzzle brake would stand out
ImageImage
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

This image shows how much new models and textures are far better than old ones, but also shows how less different they are now, there is really need to make them easier to distinguish. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Post by Dalton »

The barrels need to be thicker, they look almost as small as a hyper velocity cannon.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Jorzi wrote:I personally think the sizes are about right and I don't think that barel visibility will be a problem. The original barrel texture actually seems to be designed to make the barrel look thinner so that the muzzle brake would stand out
The original textures probably don't take blending into account, the dark border wouldn't be there without that.