Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by lav_coyote25 »

macuser wrote:Well the repair turret is way too big for the back of the body. It is starting to come over the hump even

whats it look like in game??? you cant rally tell by this pic. get in game... then critique. :3
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

hmm I'm pretty sure my models are to scale with each other...
Edit: Added a comparison picture
Attachments
repairtank2.jpg
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Jorzi wrote:hmm I'm pretty sure my models are to scale with each other...
Edit: Added a comparison picture
ok, i see it now... yes they are the same except for one tiny difference - the hump in front of the repair turret... it isnt on the original because the original is flat, not humped. perhaps make the main body slightly longer to accommodate the turrets, with out it looking like it tears into the humped bit... :3 :)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I've been watching this topic sporadically, and interestingly, I might have something quick to say about the viper's humps (pun intended)

As far as I can remember, Mangust made the model with a heightened "platform" for the turret - like a hexagonal pyramid stump - probably having in mind that the turret would have clipping problems with the body if it was positioned in the standard height.

Probably adjusting the respective connector in the PIE of the new model is enough to solve the clipping, and since I believe that you assembled the tank model using .3ds files, maybe you got the "platform" as something that went in to the turret's bottom, properly connecting the models?

I might be terribly wrong, but my bet goes into that platform, either making the connector be on its surface, or making it bigger in a convenient way so that the plane that contains its upper faces doesn't offer any clipping with the rest of the bodies (would solve problems with any turrets then).

Other than that, beautiful art as always - from the first to the last page, this topic is a great example of change, from good to magnificent. You are truly gifted, Jorzi!

Off now to my evil plans - Unreal Interactive on its way.
See y'all later,

~Olrox
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Olrox It's good to see you :) I forgot to mention, I intentionally placed the repair turret a bit into the turret platform, simply because the turret base was so wide compared to the platform it looked almost as it floated above the tank anyway... This of course at the price of some intersecting geometry at certain angles.
Btw now I'm getting interested in your evil plans :P
ImageImage
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Hi Olrox, hows your "Evil Plans". BTW A new artrev release is on it's way soon.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

Jorzi wrote:Thank you rider.. I'm not entirely sure what you mean with the cylindrical parts protruding, but since It was an easy thing to do without changing texturing etc. I experimented with a thicker turbine part. What do you think?
I'm afraid I don't see too much of a different. What I actually meant was something like this.
Attachments
show.GIF
show.GIF (3.07 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

ah.. I see. It would be nice, but it would also require additional polys (Teh horror!!1!)
polycount would be raised by about 36, which is quite substantial for a 174 poly model...
ImageImage
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

Really? 36? That's quite a bit. What about if you only extend a single side (just to the front or to the back)?
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

Hey, long time no see! Just my two cents on the viper body looking too small compared to the turret and tracks: Ever seen a WW1 Renault FT-17? It was the first tank featuring a fully articulated turret, separated engine- and crew compartment and general layout of any tank after. From some angles, the resemblance to a viper-tracks-HMG/light cannon is stunning, especially the artrev version. Check your favorite search engine for tons of pics. Here's one that gives a good impression about the FT-17's size:
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Fastdeath
Trained
Trained

Post by Fastdeath »

Just looked trough this thread, respect Jorzi you make a GREAT work here.
I hope the engine supports what you do or we can get it to do so.
Nightly builds available here see buildbot for more infos about them
Lobby Server: here and here
SharpFlame the new WZ Map Editor
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Thanks for the kind words Fastdeath :)
I do my best to keep my models compatible with the current standard and I am pretty confident that my models can be used, although the shading might not be as advanced (at least yet)
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Quickly threw together a building for a change, not entirely finished yet though...
Attachments
urbanbuilding1.jpg
ImageImage
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

Is that the hi-poly or the baked low-poly? looks good ether way :)
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Interesting, very interesting indeed!
Are you thinking about making them stack-able? Otherwise, it'd be a nice addition to put in some air conditioning stuff around, esp. in that flat side, to make the texture richer.

I can provide you with fairly decent insight into buildings, since I'm now officially a Civil Construction Technic, diplomated in the Federal Technological University here in Brazil :D

A very interesting thing would be to do some (at least shallow) research on architetural styles of the regions where the features are supposed to be at. I mean, maybe in the future we can have different tilesets for different regions, blending different types of terrain in very large maps with regional themes (european, american, african, south-american, east-asiatic)?
Since the large buildings are currently for north-american metropolis, I think a large variety is acceptable, but I personally think that brickworks with large cornerstones look so very "European" :hmm:

It is, nonetheless, top-quality much like since the early pages of this topic. I'll never get tired of repeating, that's the work of a most talented artist. Truly noticeable mostly by the ever-growing notion of proportion and harmony in the composition (and it is, don't be mistaken, nothing less than an artistical composition!).

Quickly getting off-topic, I must say again that I'll never forget this community and always hope to reach a lifestyle where I can eat everyday and produce stuff for WZ without having to choose one or another. Times are tough, but ahead lies... the best stuff. Ever. :wink:

Best regards,
~Olrox