Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by Per »

Really nice!
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Jorzi did you read the licence and FAQ's for http://www.cgtextures.com/ textures
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Berg wrote:Jorzi did you read the licence and FAQ's for http://www.cgtextures.com/ textures
You mean like this from the FAQ Berg ?:
May I use these textures in my Open Source (Creative Commons, GPL, etc) project?

No. These textures may not be used in Open-Source projects. The licenses are not compatible. Almost all Open-Source licenses allow redistribution of the materials, and redistribution is not allowed for these textures.
And you brought it up because of this ?:

Jorzi wrote: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6816

Re: The future of Warzone by Jorzi » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:23 am

Blender+GIMP only. Ground texture downloaded from cgtextures.com (no license problems with those). Procedural camouflage with blender. Everything else is hand painted/modeled from scratch. (no easy way I'm afraid). Oh and python texture was originally made by olrox ;)
Though concrete surface variety is such a common place in any urban environment that shooting your own with even an average digital camera can yield very useful results without any issues over licencing - it's yours to do whatever.

- RV :hmm:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Thanks for pointing this out, I've seen the licence before, but I've always been distributing renders only, so I haven't thought of it as a problem...

I haven't thought of the fact that the textures always have to be bundled with the model and that the licence transfers to any textures I make using pieces from cgtextures, which means I propably have to remove a few attachements...
I also need to remake the tower and bunker texture...

Does anyone have an open-source-compatible image of a bare concrete surface? It should be rough but not broken in any way.

I do have a good camera, but right now everything is covered in 50cm of snow, which is beautiful of course, but might not fit into the arizona landscape :P
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Jorzi wrote:Does anyone have an open-source-compatible image of a bare concrete surface? It should be rough but not broken in any way.
Gah, all of my concrete textures are painted, though you might be able to find a decent image at http://gpl.imageafter.com
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Not sure if these fit your criteria:
It should be rough but not broken in any way.
These are scaled to 35% & @ 90% compression of originals. Originals are about 5 mbs each.

Attachments
101 Scale 35.jpg
111 Scale 35.jpg
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Thanks mysteryem, it's a good resource, but unfortunately I haven't yet found something that fits as well as the one I got from cgtextures (for the bunker and tower, that is)
@Rman virgil: thanks but that is plaster and not concrete. We usually think of them as the same thing but they actually look quite different.
I am looking for something like this:
http://gpl.imageafter.com/image.php?ima ... ors288.jpg
http://gpl.imageafter.com/image.php?ima ... ors143.jpg
Unfortunately those images are not very good for textures...
ImageImage
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Jorzi wrote:...

@Rman virgil: thanks but that is plaster and not concrete. We usually think of them as the same thing but they actually look quite different.

Actually, they can be confused because they can be made to look like one another for aesthetic effects.... but they are indeed VERY different as far as structural characteristics. And I would know 'cause....

Hehe... :lol2: I worked all the construction trades for a number of years (including concrete & plaster). Never confused the 2 in building a structure. Thank goodness for that last as one is mainly a load-bearing material and the other not. Those exterior surfaces forms are of crete not plaster (predominantly an interior wall material... unless your making art with Plaster of Paris).

Concrete can be made such to take on many visual looks (by various mixtures, forms used, texture surfacing, & load-bearing densities)... which is why I wasn't sure what you were after with your succinct description. The concrete that will be part of an external aesthetic will have its surface made to look different than concrete that will be hidden. And in cases were surface aesthetic is not a factor, like in a dam, the concrete will be left to look as if it would were it hidden, like in office buildings.

Here's a small sampling of the many looks of concrete:

http://mayang.com/textures/Architectura ... index.html

But I understand now the particular crete look your going for with those samples from GPL Image After - might have some of those. I'll have a look see after work. :)

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Thanks, I just talked with olrox and he found the same site :)
In fact we already found and image that works fairly well (I think)
See for yourself ;)
Attachments
tower4.jpg
ImageImage
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Jorzi wrote:Thanks, I just talked with olrox and he found the same site :)
In fact we already found and image that works fairly well (I think)
See for yourself ;)
Ahhh... that Olrox, even when he's not around our brain waves seem to cross. O_o

Beautiful work ! :D (Strange choice of word for a war machine... but, this is art and art can be made out of war.)

- Regards, Rman. :hmm:
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

Post by CyclonatorZ »

That tower keeps looking better and better. Also, I have to say that this...

Is nothing short of perfection. 2-3 years from now, I hope every in-game tank model looks like that. *thumbs up*
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

CyclonatorZ wrote: Image
Snow camo!! :lol2:
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Thank you guys, snow camo indeed :D
If you want some full colur renders, check my thread in the lounge viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6816 :wink:

I finished the bunker and tower textures, now with 0% license problems :)
Attachments
bunker&tower.jpg
ImageImage
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

WOW that looks even better than before ;)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Square
Trained
Trained

Post by Square »

omfg! Adorable!