New Models for 3.0, that make use of the mask feature wanted

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Buginator
Professional
Professional

New Models for 3.0, that make use of the mask feature wanted

Post by Buginator »

With the merging of the shaders branch into trunk, we are now looking to populate trunk with the new, improved models.

In short, if you want the model to be used in trunk, then we must get permission, and a valid license agreement so we may distribute the work as part of the game.

More details will soon follow.

Forum member Berg has fixed all of the original models to use TCmask. This job is done! A big should out goes to him!

For *new* models, we are still looking for a complete set...
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: New Models for 3.0, that make use of the mask feature wa

Post by i-NoD »

Here is a small guide for TCMask #851 feature. To use it you must have at least a 3d model file (.3ds or similar) and a diffuse texture. You'll have to make a .pie file from your model and a special mask from diffuse texture. Plus you'd make some modifications to game's .wrf files if you're going to test your work.
  • If you have a .3ds file then you'll need to convert it into PIE format with 3ds2pie. Grab renewed 3ds2pie win-tool (requires VC++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) to run) or compile it from source by yourself. Just check 'Enable TCMask texture' during conversion to activate the feature for your model or it will not work.
  • If you got a .pie file by other means then you'll need alter it to enable masking. Open .pie file in your favorite text editor and change standard type from

Code: Select all

TYPE 200
    to

TYPE 10200
    It's unlikely to happen, but you will need to add 10000 to any other value. Consult with PIE3 format specs, if you'll detect something unusual.
Now you should prepare a diffuse texture. For example I'll take some standard WarZone texture Image.

After you've identified some area that will use team coloration make this area monochrome (try to keep you color range with decimal values 96+-48). In fact, this feature could take 3-rd frame from old team animation and give you all the other colors. Here I've converted 1-st 'green team' frame to monochrome colors:
Diffuse texture
Diffuse texture
page-16-droid-drives.png (41.78 KiB) Viewed 14508 times
Using the same area you'll need to create a special TCMask texture. It will only utilize alpha channel:
  • Coloration area should be filled with opaque black color #000000FF
  • All other pixels should be completely transparent #00000000
TCMask texture
TCMask texture
page-16_tcmask.png (370 Bytes) Viewed 12711 times
You may save it as 1-bit alpha .png file.
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

TCMask texture name is expected to be in form of 'page-<diffuse page number>_tcmask'. For previous example it's the following pair: 'page-16-droid-drives.png' and 'page-16_tcmask.png'.

To test your model in-game:
  1. Add as new one or replace some existing model with your TCMasked .pie
  2. Add/replace diffuse texture into 'texpages' folder
  3. Add mask texture into the same 'texpages' folder
  4. Modify limiter_tex.wrf and vidmemX.wrf files (grab them from mp folder for skirmish mods) with TCMASK line:

file		TEXPAGE	"page-16-droid-drives.png"
    file		TCMASK	"page-16_tcmask.png"
  5. Run current trunk version of the game and check for results
Here is a windows trunk build based on revision 10396. Please post all TCMask related issues into this tread and bugs into #851.

Both diffuse and mask textures could be up to 2048px x 2048px is size. However it's best to keep some proportions between model's element size and its texture island size, so when textures will be downscaled in-game (for gfx adapters with small amount of video memory) it won't be too much blurred, like factory on the screenshots below :wink:
The fact is that both factory and the lab do have same sized 1024px textures. All is fine when you set up game to use 1048px textures, but feel the difference when they are downscaled to 256px. If you can, please check you work at 512px at least.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: New Models for 3.0, that make use of the mask feature wanted

Post by Buginator »

Some screen shots of a sample of what is going on...
wz2100_shot_001_3.png
wz2100_shot_004_3.png
Note: don't mind the fps, this is from a linux box using a very old radeon 9600.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Note: don't mind the fps, this is from a linux box using a very old radeon 9600.
No, you just forgot to turn off a shadows. ;)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Whoa, nice truck ;)
Hey, sorry if that's off-topic, really.

I guess that the best way to avoid problems with license would be to publish the models under CC0, right?

BTW, I can adapt the truck model so that the "container" is larger (and thus, making it more distinguished as a *truck*). I've almost forgot about that model. Right now I'm able to handle game files. Or do you think it's good enough as it is? That wouldn't represent changes to the tex page, most probably.

~Olrox
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Olrox wrote: I've almost forgot about that model.
I have the modified version of your truck model. I've reduced a polycount and bla bla bla... :ninja:
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Bump...
A small guide has been added as second and third posts. I hope it is understandable enough.. :lecture:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

i-NoD wrote:Bump...
A small guide has been added as second and third posts. I hope it is understandable enough.. :lecture:
Very interesting info, thanks. I'll study it indepth as soon as I have a good opportunity :)

~Olrox
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Nice mini tutorial.
Can you guys make it so that we can pick our own team colors instead of the defaults that warzone uses by putting that data in some external file warzone can read in?

Are the buildings & units the only things that will get this mask treatment, or will the UI also do something with the masks? I was looking to change the flags, but I rather use the masks and not the old way.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Flank4 wrote:
Nice mini tutorial.
Can you guys make it so that we can pick our own team colors instead of the defaults that warzone uses by putting that data in some external file warzone can read in?

Are the buildings & units the only things that will get this mask treatment, or will the UI also do something with the masks? I was looking to change the flags, but I rather use the masks and not the old way.
already done. look palette.txt in base.wz :wink:
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

MaNGusT wrote: already done. look palette.txt in base.wz :wink:
ImageI totally missed that!
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I like the new mask feture and the new models and all... but the bottom pad thingy is asynchronous with the new model. and the "dirt" on the team colors could be reduced a bit.

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

macuser wrote:I like the new mask feture and the new models and all... but the bottom pad thingy is asynchronous with the new model. and the "dirt" on the team colors could be reduced a bit.
ow, baseplates... I guess elio's intension was to remove them completely or to use semi-transparent ones.

I don't remember anything about 'dirt'... :hmm:
Could you hint me with some details?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

i-NoD wrote:ow, baseplates... I guess elio's intension was to remove them completely or to use semi-transparent ones.
Baseplates can be rendered the same way as decals... that should prevent problems like z-fighting.