Warzone Artwork policy

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Olrox
Art contributor

Warzone Artwork policy

Post by Olrox »

Split from: viewtopic.php?p=46670#p46670
virgilglyph wrote:.

@ Xenon: Your art work is totally Avant-garde. I like it very much.

As you have already found out with responses to your Transport, many vocal mind-sets in this neighborhood have a rigid perspective of what is right and proper for WZ - frack that philistinism !, I say ("right & proper" are words better suited to illustrators with a mediocre, consensus, vision, not true artists, IMO). Keep to developing your wide scope vision. You can collect it all into one truly revolutionary art mod that will find its appreciative audience. Beyond that, I would guess that while others may go on to illustrate cereal boxes or huckstering web sites, fine art gallery shows could very well be in your future. :)

Cheers, VG :cool:
Yes - Artists should make things in the way they get daily inspired to, making a whole pack of ugly pieces that doesn't relate to each other in a consistent way. Are you sure?

If you were being sarcastic, referring to me as one of the "illustrators with a mediocre, consensus, not vision, not true artists", I cannot help but feel sorry for that.

This topic's about graphical remake, not "graphical make", and thus, work is inspired by the primary source. You can't be truly serious by letting out comments that ignore this context, and criticizing people like you don't give a sh*t about their work. This is simply disrespectful and pointless, even unproductive...

It is because of this kind of comment that I've ceased producting any content for warzone, and I feel sad to know that there's more like this everyday. The only thing that makes me happy in here is to know that there are still people like Xenon who are struggling to keep the artistical production going. Anyone around here, who knows anything about anything, also knows that I really care about the new artists of the community and offer support to anyone, anytime, in any case that I can help.

I really hope that I wasn't the one taxed as an illustrator with a mediocre, consensus, not vision, not true artist though :-S

If it wasn't clear, I appreciate the distinct style of Xenon's artistry, but really think that it can be improved, from good to excellent and so on...
Last edited by Olrox on 03 Feb 2010, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
virgilglyph
Trained
Trained

Re: some graphic remake(updated jan-14)

Post by virgilglyph »

@ Olrox: Wasn't referring to anyone or anyone's work in particular with your paraphrase of my comment - "illustrators with a mediocre, consensus, not vision, not true artists". Just a general aesthetic statement. (Actual: "right & proper are words better suited to illustrators with a mediocre, consensus, vision, not true artists, IMO.)

"Make" - "Remake" - more a difference of degree than kind as the act of creation goes. Inspiration from the "primary source" cannot be constrictively pre-defined unless you seek results that are purely imitative, clearly derivative.

Sturgeon's Law: "90% of anything is crap."

Virgil's Law: You have to wholeheartedly embrace making crap to have an excellent chance at getting to the 10% that is exceptional. It grows Myelin in your brain and that process leads to greater mastery in any effort. Check the science, it's quite fascinating. :)

Sorry you took my comments as pointing a finger at you. They were not.

A Toltec warrior doesn't take anything personally. "Toltec" is a Pre-Columbian native Nahuatl word meaning artist.

Regards, VG :cool:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

That's a relief... it's because I've already felt kind of "right and proper" because I cared too much about mantaining the original style of the game, even if it was my sole objective when producing content. And I've posted a few similar comments on Xenon's New Transport topic.

I apologize for jumping into conclusions.

The stuff about Myelin is interesting, I think that's why my mother always told me to keep drawing the ugly things when I was kid :stare:

If those laws are on the good 10% of your post, then again, Xenon's work is good (maybe, more than 10%), but he can keep improving it until every new version's 10% add to anything near 100% :P
virgilglyph
Trained
Trained

meta

Post by virgilglyph »

Olrox wrote:
The stuff about Myelin is interesting, I think that's why my mother always told me to keep drawing the ugly things when I was kid :stare:
Yep. Mastery has been calculated at about 10,000 hours of "fiddling" or deep practice. Even Mozart composing at 5 fits.
Olrox wrote:If those laws are on the good 10% of your post, then again, Xenon's work is good (maybe, more than 10%), but he can keep improving it until every new version's 10% add to anything near 100% :P
Yup. Always room for "improvement". Leonardo continued working on the Mona Lisa until he died of old age - some 4 decades. Many a great poet has attested to never really finishing a poem but merely abandoning them.

I didn't quite realize till your response that I was not just speaking to artists in my comments but equally to non-artists. Non-artists tend to think their opinions, their likes and dislikes, are worth their weight in gold when they are really mostly clueless about the process of artistry, let alone any intrinsic values.
Nick Morro wrote:
. I agree with Olrox, but more so. I don't like the textures. The colored parts are oversaturated. The gray parts are noisy and distracting, and the shapes don't fit each other - some look alien, some look industrial...

. I can see a lot of potential in your work, and you look like you could do a lot of good in the future. Right now, however, I would advise you to work on the basics.

Regards, Nick. :ninja:

I know no relation to "Moro Nick". Inside joke, maybe ? ;)

Rabindranath Tagore in Esperanto..... Interesting.

I agree as well with you both in these details.

I would go a step further and recommend Xenon take a look at Olrox's texture work and tutorial (his comments on his process prior to the formal tutorial are also instructive). Like I said months ago, this is exceptional artistry at work.

Incidentally, the technique was first developed hundreds of years ago by classical master painters like Rembrandt - achieving nuanced texture effects by painting in 7 layers... the first layer called the Imprimatura. The technique transfers to the digital pallet every bit as powerful as oil on canvas, me thinks.

Regards, VG :ninja:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

virgilglyph wrote: Incidentally, the technique was first developed hundreds of years ago by classical master painters like Rembrandt - achieving nuanced texture effects by painting in 7 layers... the first layer called the Imprimatura. The technique transfers to the digital pallet every bit as powerful as oil on canvas, me thinks.
If you are careful enough, you can achieve better results, because you can modify a single layer at any given time! It requires a great sensitivity to identify which layer needs to be improved, though, but there's always the option of creating an additional layer to correct another one you couldn't find :D

Perhaps that's the key, yes. I didn't want to say "take a look in my guide", that would sound like "my method is better than yours" :cool:

And about the username and posting style, it's all very weird. I've got to know that Whippersnapper (that's how I've got to know him) ran 3 profiles at once: Rman_Virgil, whippersnapper, Moro_Nick...
And then there's virgilglyph, who uses some words like whippersnapper would, places a dot at the very beggining and very end of the post, and a "ninja" smiley after the "regards, virgilglyph". Now, for things to get more weird, someone called Nick Morro appears, placing a dot before the post and one at the very end as well, but doesn't quite talk like whippersnapper. The "Regards, Nick. :ninja: " is also identical to the end of whippersnapper's posts.
It IS very weird and probably would make anyone observant enough, quite paranoid :rolleyes:
virgilglyph
Trained
Trained

Post by virgilglyph »

Olrox wrote: If you are careful enough, you can achieve better results, because you can modify a single layer at any given time! It requires a great sensitivity to identify which layer needs to be improved, though, but there's always the option of creating an additional layer to correct another one you couldn't find :D
How right you are. With oils and canvas you have to wait 4 weeks between layers and there is no undue !

Olrox wrote:And about the username and posting style, it's all very weird. I've got to know that Whippersnapper (that's how I've got to know him) ran 3 profiles at once: Rman_Virgil, whippersnapper, Moro_Nick...

And then there's virgilglyph, who uses some words like whippersnapper would, places a dot at the very beggining and very end of the post, and a "ninja" smiley after the "regards, virgilglyph". Now, for things to get more weird, someone called Nick Morro appears, placing a dot before the post and one at the very end as well, but doesn't quite talk like whippersnapper. The "Regards, Nick. :ninja: " is also identical to the end of whippersnapper's posts.

It IS very weird and probably would make anyone observant enough, quite paranoid :rolleyes:
I am all those (plus others, beginning with Rman Jack) BUT I am not the "Nick Morro" of recent registration and postings - I have a feeling of who it might be though I'm not really sure. However, I take it as just fun, like an inside joke. :D

I started doing the multiple monikers back in Pumpkin's BBs in '99 for comedic effect and was joined by quite a few others in 2 Forum RPGs that were grand fun for the whole community (even members of the Pumpkin dev team participated !). In later years I found other peeps taking over my handles on other fan sites I was not registered on (which was quite annoying) but there was no way I could stop that practice so I would simply create a new handle because though my fictitious nicks could be stolen my voice, mind & spirit could not - no matter what moniker was used.

"Nick Morro" has captured some of my current typographical style and I find it genuinely amusing and harmless. Again, my tripartite voice-mind-spirit cannot be imitated, in the end, and I am consistent with those. It is another Toltec warrior precept I follow: "Always be impeccable with your word." And, in any case, where my RL name mattered to me, it was used by Pumpkin-Eidos in the GPL License of the WZ 2100 source distro.

Regards, VG :ninja:
Olrox
Art contributor

Meta

Post by Olrox »

Well, that's sad... I can't explain why, but it's plain and truly sad to me :-S
I think that I'll really get out of here permanently, I've got utterly disappointed because I'm feeling...
Ah, quotes!
On [url=http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4340&p=43186#p43186]this topic[/url], I've wrote:I am sorry to leave behind so many unfinished works and dreams, but my hopes were dying quite some time ago and now I'm feeling pathetic and ridiculous.
Because perhaps I was born old for this kind of fun I see more often than I'd feel okay to.
Maybe I'm too rugged to understand why people only take me seriously when they look into my eyes, but not into my words...
virgilglyph
Trained
Trained

Post by virgilglyph »

Olrox wrote:Well, that's sad... I can't explain why, but it's plain and truly sad to me :-S
I think that I'll really get out of here permanently, I've got utterly disappointed because I'm feeling...
Ah, quotes!
On [url=http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4340&p=43186#p43186]this topic[/url], I've wrote:I am sorry to leave behind so many unfinished works and dreams, but my hopes were dying quite some time ago and now I'm feeling pathetic and ridiculous.
Because perhaps I was born old for this kind of fun I see more often than I'd feel okay to.
Maybe I'm too rugged to understand why people only take me seriously when they look into my eyes, but not into my words...
I hope you reconsider. Sleep on it.

This time has a different temperament and culture than the early days of the WWW. I've lived through these changes of the last couple decades on the Net.

Your gifts and intelligence are singular and obvious. You are also strongly empathic. Empathy is a powerful state of being and quite valuable in many respects. It also makes you vulnerable. The great challenge for those who are strongly empathic in this day and age, is to hold on to it, cultivate it even, while minimizing vulnerability to forces that would undo it.

Adversity happens for a reason - we have an opportunity to learn something that will make us stronger. more able, in the way of personal power. While smooth-sailing is comforting it will not draw out the best of our seamanship like weathering a mighty storm. This is a soul crafting belief and I trust I have not offended by taking the liberty of expressing it here. If I have taken too far the liberty of expression, my humble apologies.

There is saying amongst the Special Forces of the US: "Everyday above ground is a good day !"

Regards, VG :D
Last edited by virgilglyph on 31 Jan 2010, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

virgilglyph wrote:Regards, VG :D
He didn't place ninja!!!
Nick Morro
Greenhorn

Post by Nick Morro »

virgilglyph wrote:I am all those (plus others, beginning with Rman Jack) BUT I am not the "Nick Morro" of recent registration and postings - I have a feeling of who it might be though I'm not really sure. However, I take it as just fun, like an inside joke. :D

. When I created this account, I was hoping I could get a laugh out of you, so that is indeed the attitude in which I hoped to be received. :)

virgilglyph wrote:"Nick Morro" has captured some of my current typographical style and I find it genuinely amusing and harmless. Again, my tripartite voice-mind-spirit cannot be imitated, in the end, and I am consistent with those. It is another Toltec warrior precept I follow: "Always be impeccable with your word." And, in any case, where my RL name mattered to me, it was used by Pumpkin-Eidos in the GPL License of the WZ 2100 source distro.
virgilglyph wrote:Rabindranath Tagore in Esperanto..... Interesting.

. They say that good artists borrow, and great artists steal. Well, I suppose that depicts me as a mediocre artist. The inimitable quotations in your signature I found impossible to reproduce, so I hoped the Esperanto would mask that somewhat.

. I suspect you know that I am not imitating your current typographical style, but that of one you have ceased using. Your voice is indeed quite unique - I have copied some aspects of it, but I confess that I do not have an extensive enough working vocabulary to do so fully.

In good fun, Nick. :P
"Most men complacently accept 'knowledge' as truth". They are sheep, ruled by fear and yet, appeased by ignorance. - Sydney Losstarot
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Well,
I think that it's
. Harder than that
.To copy the real one
Regards, Nick Molrox :ninja:
xD
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Ahhh, Olrox ! Good one. :)

Getting back on topic...

I do look to the latest versions of the art work in this thread being revealed.

And not just here - there is a proliferation of fine art all over these boards..... more in sheer volume and quality in one short windo of time than ever I can recall in the last decade. :D

IMHO, what the team needs is a first rate 3D artist who also has excellent people and leadeship savvy, is a good communicator in this medium & willing to serve as an art asset coordinator-facilitator for all the fine GFX WIPs such that there is a total official art upgrade of all the units and structs in the game for release in the near future...

It's a big effort, no doubt about it, for all involved.

Not that I presume my opinion to carry any weight whatsoever... nonetheless, I can see one person here abouts that fits all the above criteria for such a position. I won't embarass him by spelling his name out but I think it's obvious whom I'm refering to. If he would be interested taking such on the team would greatly benefit, as well the game, community of artists and players - IMHO, naturally.

You all should ask him, I think. His moniker begins with the letter "O" - just to make sure there is no doubt. ;)

Regards, RV :cool:
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

If you do Pick an art co-ordinator I agree they have to have good people skills
Orlox
New user

Post by Orlox »

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha (x41)

I don't know anybody with a moniker like that :ninja:
I was almost not embarassed until the
You all should ask him, I think. His moniker begins with the letter "O" - just to make sure there is no doubt. ;)
, heheheheheheheheh!

Glad you didn't have my postal code or phone number xD

I'm working on fulfilling the "pre-reqs" expected from a wannabe-official artist. Now that I really know what is expected from me, the odds are getting interesting. If that works out and I'm really adequated for that role, and I really wish that... Then I'll make a real effort to converge the other artist's skills, sure.

But it IS still uncertain, and I hope that the staff's decision is mantained to depend on my true skills and qualities, otherwise I wouldn't feel good, being "pushed" or even "made up" to look fit.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

WAT
O_O