why aren't the models or textures being used?

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Re: why aren't the models or textures being used?

Post by Carme Taika »

I don't think Battlemechs { 'Mechs } should be used at all; they're too tall to come out of that poor little factories' creation bay(s).
And then what? Adding another factory type ( 'Mech Gantry ?) just to deploy units with 'Mech propulsion?
I'd rather see working Naval units.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Carme Taika wrote:I don't think Battlemechs { 'Mechs } should be used at all; they're too tall to come out of that poor little factories' creation bay(s).
And then what? Adding another factory type ( 'Mech Gantry ?) just to deploy units with 'Mech propulsion?
I'd rather see working Naval units.
Well, I bet you'd rather wait to see the mechs I could make before making this statement ;)

~Olrox
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

Olrox, as completely ungodly epic; and did I mention incredible?
you and MaNGusT's co-op Models/Textures for units are;

'Mechs are just another Land unit;
The Sea is completely devoid of droids/units;
It should be a more pressing matter; don't you agree?
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Carme Taika wrote:Olrox, as completely ungodly epic; and did I mention incredible?
you and MaNGusT's co-op Models/Textures for units are;

'Mechs are just another Land unit;
The Sea is completely devoid of droids/units;
It should be a more pressing matter; don't you agree?
Not *completely devoid*, hovers and VTOLs can move over water. I personally think that it's very hard to fit the current Body>Prop>Turret design system with naval units, they look weird (seen the testing versions myself already, and they fail to look good). IMO - as a quick comment, I'm not seeking to start talking about that yet -, those should be designed separately to look good, or have "dedicated bodies" such as the ones I could imagine for special air units.

Currently no warzone VTOL can look like a fighter, I think, because of turrets and the bodies, as they're just the same ones used for normal tanks - no way for them to look great this way. Naval units aren't too far, but the turrets really aren't a problem.

But I agree that naval units have a real niche - would open many possibilities of map designs, which would be endless worth of entertainment with the new map editors (flaME and Atlas), which already provided us with many interesting maps, as can be seen on http://guide.wz2100.net/addons/. Given those horizons for expansion of game experience, making acceptable-looking naval units is prior to making mechs, in my imaginary "to-do list".

I'm delighted with your appreciation, looking forward to improving those models - effectively revolutioning the art revolution itself - really soon. I've already got to more time-consuming matters using my vacations, but I'm getting back to college tomorrow, so I'll get back to my daily editions of models, which take less time (as they're separated into quick steps rather than a whole bunch of work at a time, like building mods still is, at least for a beginner like me).

Thanks one more time,
~Olrox
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

>.> If you call yourself a beginner, I must be a loser...
Or perhaps just clueless...
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Carme Taika wrote:>.> If you call yourself a beginner, I must be a loser...
Or perhaps just clueless...
Well, beginner at least in modding I surely am. And I'm still learning how to properly use graphical editing softwares :)
And there are no *losers* until everything it's over. Everyone got talents to find, I'm sure you have one. I myself am still looking for all my true talents, but that's only because I'm not satisfied with just what I have - need to control that as I grow up. But no one really finds and take the best from his talents without ambition, I think. ;)

~Olrox
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

Well I am still young, and apt to learn something I have talent for, such as Photoshop and Modeling...
So hopefully my modeling & Texturing ability will develop well...

I'm just laughably inept at time management.

EDIT: This is getting off the topic of the 'Mechs in this thread, and of art itself; perhaps continue this in PMs?