destruction and built works

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
tracureK
Greenhorn

destruction and built works

Post by tracureK »

as far as how the game has come along since the origanol, its amazing!. though one thing still is offputting for me, the way buildings just vanish with afew bursts of flames. though the way the Vtols achually falls from the sky in pieces and the same with ground units the way they breakup. mabie the buildings falling down or breaking up for now.

also building things has been the same since the origanol version.just raises from the floor which seems to be abit dull in this generations, im not dissrating the game in any way, though mabie for the future that when buildings are being build it could be done for the same amount of time but insted its putt together bit by bit like a jigsaw. then for the destruction it comes down bit by bit.

just a thourght.
Tracurek
Ceiling Cat
Trained
Trained

Re: destruction and built works

Post by Ceiling Cat »

Maybe with a new model format.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Try shooting at a 5 story building in the urban map XD it is sweet!!! just the smaller buildings blowup funny

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

I'd love to see new 'effects' anyway. New explosions and weapon effects for instance. The ones in there now are pretty dated and redoing just the big explosions can change the way destruction of structures look completely! Smoke effects could probably be used as well.

Build-ups can use some work as well. It always seemed to me that the building process in Warzone was not unlike the way it was done in Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander. Perhaps some queues can be taken from there? Is there any animation/artwork/docs done by Pumpkin that goes more in-depth about the construction process?
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Rider wrote:I'd love to see new 'effects' anyway. New explosions and weapon effects for instance. The ones in there now are pretty dated and redoing just the big explosions can change the way destruction of structures look completely! Smoke effects could probably be used as well.

Build-ups can use some work as well. It always seemed to me that the building process in Warzone was not unlike the way it was done in Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander. Perhaps some queues can be taken from there? Is there any animation/artwork/docs done by Pumpkin that goes more in-depth about the construction process?
We probably can make necessary models for construction stages for AR buildings. Perhaps making some frames around the construction site as a first stage and then make the structure go up, and then the frames go down, would already be better than we have now. I don't know how much detail the devs wish to give the construction procedures, this is the most important thing to know, before enything else.

~Olrox
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Since the construction process is unlikely to repeat very often at the same time, there should not be a big performance problem by making it more detailed. And what is built is displayed quite large, so some more details may be in order.

I've noticed that some games have a separate building variant for during-construction that includes scaffolding. If this during-construction model was made in such a way that it looked fine even if it were clipped by a rising cut plane, that might look kinda cool. But that might require making it a volume texture to avoid clipping artefacts - and I have no idea how hard it is to make those.

Just some idle thoughts.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Per wrote: I've noticed that some games have a separate building variant for during-construction that includes scaffolding. If this during-construction model was made in such a way that it looked fine even if it were clipped by a rising cut plane, that might look kinda cool. But that might require making it a volume texture to avoid clipping artefacts - and I have no idea how hard it is to make those.
Yeah, scaffolding would be nice. Hmm, I also dunno about volume textures, I'll take a look at it, Colditz probably knows.

~Olrox