some graphic remake(updated jan-14)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Nick Morro
Greenhorn

Re: some graphic remake(updated jan-14)

Post by Nick Morro »

Olrox wrote:It is interesting, but way too different and, in many parts, very weird. Most of your models makes me think of a sixth, different faction, that doesn't seem to be from earth.
Again, I agree that the creativity of your work is top-notch, but I just can't like your textures (by the same reason I didn't quite like the transport model you've made some time ago). They have improved a great deal, but definetely still look too punk/badass/dirty/twisted xD
For example, I'm still intrigued by the metal grates in the hardpoints, and by the patterns, overall :rolleyes:

I really like the geometry, but yet, think that the textures could use a bit more sense and refinement ;)

. I agree with Olrox, but more so. I don't like the textures. The colored parts are oversaturated. The gray parts are noisy and distracting, and the shapes don't fit each other - some look alien, some look industrial...

. I can see a lot of potential in your work, and you look like you could do a lot of good in the future. Right now, however, I would advise you to work on the basics.

Regards, Nick. :ninja:
"Most men complacently accept 'knowledge' as truth". They are sheep, ruled by fear and yet, appeased by ignorance. - Sydney Losstarot
Xenon
Trained
Trained

Post by Xenon »

Grey textures because all it building maked from TITAN :) !!!
i not think what buildings in 2100 year have brick material O_o
Sorry for my english
Xenon
Trained
Trained

Post by Xenon »

Very well :) ... I be worked in this way...

My work complete at 75-80% :D
Sorry for my english
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Everything below this post has been reconstructed due to a topic split - the following posts have incorrect post times.

An off-topic conversation was split to: viewtopic.php?p=46296#p46296
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

The first half of this post was off-topic, and was split to: viewtopic.php?p=46371#p46371
Xenon wrote:Grey textures because all it building maked from TITAN :) !!!
i not think what buildings in 2100 year have brick material O_o
Ah, I'm glad to know you didn't run away with all this misunderstanding here! About the grey, there is no problem at all in using it. But I must make my personal addendum to this:
As I've already mentioned twice or thrice somewhere else in the forums, I'm almost graduating in a construction course. It's been 4 years studying diverse subjects, and 3 years of them had a specific subject, 4 hours a week, about construction material.

After all this, I couldn't help but be fussy about the coherence of my models. Not that I'll make designs by calculating the possible resistance for each element, and the dimensions of the columns and beams and pillars and slab and so on.
But I must say that I go all-in on the following: Concrete will be the most cost-effective structural material for impact-resistant structures until our world collapses. Because concrete is cheap, is easy to apply, and after applied, is as sturdy as rock! But of course, only concrete doesn't make up for all resistance types, as any metal as well. Concrete is excellent for compression resistance, but not good at traction and shear resistance. Mettalic alloys, such as steel are the opposite to concrete in these two factors, and that makes for the creation of reinforced concrete: you add an intricate grid of mettalic beams inside the concrete while casting it.

Synthesizing the thick info, It's not good to have only metal or only concrete in a structure: the ideal is to blend both, so that you can get the best of each, making for nearly-perfect structures. The problem is that the result is a very heavy material, and that's why they're not commonly used in buildings taller than 35 floors :)
But our average military base buildings are bunkerish, therefore they are meant to be short, heavy and sturdy!

In my late "New Structure Models" topic, the conclusion I ran into, asking the community, was that the most "warzonish" feel is that of Bunkerish, rough & sturdy, metal-clad structures. I've then started to work on new structures that would have a cohese style (so that the base would indeed look like a base, and not just some buildings put together), but my work ended due to a long series of events.

But oh, well, even if you take a look at the technology tree, you'll see that the materials are concrete (mostly fictional) variations! The ones from the base structures are not mentioned, but the ones from all the defensive structures are. But thinking about it, it'd make sense that the structural materials are similar, since the base structures need to be resistant to attacks as well.

In the end, I think that it's okay to keep 'em grey, but should work a bit more on the reinforced-concrete concept, because the technology info really points towards it!

Sorry for the long post, I've got inspired :P
virgilglyph
Trained
Trained

Post by virgilglyph »

Xenon wrote:Very well :) ... I be worked in this way...

My work complete at 75-80% :D
Cool. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

The second half of this post was off-topic, and was split to: viewtopic.php?p=46395#p46395
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Again, an off-topic conversation was split to: viewtopic.php?p=46296#p46296