Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Post by MaNGusT »

Iluvalar wrote:Now that I think of it... maybe we dont need 2 colors on the same model. Could color the body green, the propulsion blue and the turret black via code only if we want to make fancy factions...
And how are you going to determine what is what? I mean that people will just get confused i.e. what player attacks them.
Another option is to add a second tcmask texture that will paint stuff same colour but in different style, i.e., as I stated before, could paint only some small parts or stripes, keeping overall texture in gray-ish.

P.S. I've got an idea for a tcmask mod! :ninja:
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

It is probably too late to mention this, since you alredy finished the model, but here are my two cents anyway. I agree with Jorzi that the viewports on the model are too wide. This coupled with the facets you gave to the front plate make the Cobra very BRDM-2-ish. It also makes it look more like a odd colored Panther then a original Cobra.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

MaNGusT wrote: And how are you going to determine what is what? I mean that people will just get confused i.e. what player attacks them.
Well, I don't think we could let the players pick all their colors as they want. Because of the problems with the pink/white/pink player attacking the pink/light gray/fushia player. No one could tell which is which in the heat of the battle.

But on a map or mod basis. I think someone could come up with original and good looking sets of color which are clearly distinguishable from one another. Say a player with red propulsion, blue turrets and black bodies. As long as the flags in the tab button show the same colors. The map and the gui could stay on the color of the propulsion.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Corporal Punishment wrote:It is probably too late to mention this, since you alredy finished the model, but here are my two cents anyway. I agree with Jorzi that the viewports on the model are too wide. This coupled with the facets you gave to the front plate make the Cobra very BRDM-2-ish. It also makes it look more like a odd colored Panther then a original Cobra.
Well, while the original cobra model has viewports opened, I think I could close them on my model... i.e. by an armor plate, as I did on the truck model. Any adds else? I just want to collect as much suggestions as possible and then I could go back to remaking/fixing process. Just don't want to do same work third time.
Next time I will post one unfinished model for suggestions and will start to work on another to save time on waiting for comments. :)
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

some kind of armor over the ports would be good, can't think of anything else without going overboard on redesign..

next body Panther?
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

The problem is not so much the viewports, now that I think of it. It really boils down to the original Cobra having a single face on the front, while in your model the viewports are at a significantly steeper angle then the rest of the front. Or rather, the front faces above and below are at a significiantly lower angle then the viewports. This seems to result from two things: The headlights on your model seem to be higher then on the original, so the "hood" below the viewports becomes less steep. Secondly you added a tilted roof section above the viewports that the original model does not imply to that degree. My suggestion is to place the headlights about a third of their height lower and the hood steeper. The make the tilted roof section shorter an thereby steeper, ideally so that it matches the angle of the hood. That should do the trick.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Corporal Punishment wrote: My suggestion is to place the headlights about a third of their height lower and the hood steeper. The make the tilted roof section shorter an thereby steeper, ideally so that it matches the angle of the hood. That should do the trick.
I've got your idea. Also, I must mention that the old model has more steep angles because it's too lowpoly, while on the new model I added less steep angles to make it smooth, I just tried to create geometry that original model has on its texture only. I can show you it from sides, it has almost same dimensions, even angles at front of model has the same 'steep". Our goal is to step away from steep angles.. it's a game anyway, it should look a bit cartoon-ish and bulgy.
About headlights I agreed, I made them a bit higher and bigger than the original. Thinking about fixing it + yours suggestions.
Old model is red, new one is grey
Old model is red, new one is grey
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Did a fast sketch of what I'd imagine the cobra front to look like.
Didn't draw the headlights though, too complicated :P
Attachments
cobra_front.png
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Found an unreleased wz's video XD
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

MaNGusT wrote:Found an unreleased wz's video XD
:D
Sorry, i must post this picture and then i dont want to disturb anymore. What we need is a tank like this one "made in switzerland." I follow your discussion and must say-your guys are great- keep it up.
Attachments
der-neue-schweizer-panzer.jpg
der-neue-schweizer-panzer.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 58854 times
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

Hi MaNGusT,
i was going through all pages of this post (again) and i have to say that i am overwhelmed.I envy you. You have a great talent for modeling, low poly accuracy, texturing and a sense for detail that completes the overall beauty of your work. And you are still able to be consistent, taking the old design to a new level without loosing the original idea or spirit.
I tip my hat to you sir.
Astorian
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

Tzeentch wrote:some kind of armor over the ports would be good, can't think of anything else without going overboard on redesign..

next body Panther?
While this is a 2 months late answer, if I remember correctly I've already provided Jorzi with a high poly Panther. So yeah, it might be in the works, unless I get inspired again. I also had Howitzer/Ground Shaker as WIP Hi-poly but I didn't further work on it.
Xfire-->chris37killer
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Could someone of devs commit my terrain texture again? I remember that you apply a "loselees" compression to them, that isn't loseless. Really, original textures look much better. I think, now in 2017 you don't need to save these few mbytes by lowering the quality. :) The ticket.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

It wasn't lossless, it was scaled down to half(?) size. I think there was supposed to be a "HD" pack with the full resolution textures, but that never happened...
We want information... information... information.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

No, after(or before) it was scaled to half size, it also was batch compressed by cmd tool. AFAIR, Cyp did that.