Modifications to defensive building models needed

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: Modifications to defensive building models needed

Post by Berg »

Jorzi wrote:How did you do the seam elements? Are they just duplicated on top of each other?
I don't understand what you mean by seams element ... If you are talking about the issue with a dark strip in the walls shown in previous posts I think that is to do with the code the way the model is displayed and I can not change that problem unless I run without shadows.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I was thinking about the pieces that interconnect the individual wall sections (If that makes things clearer at all, it's hard to explain)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Jorzi wrote:I was thinking about the pieces that interconnect the individual wall sections (If that makes things clearer at all, it's hard to explain)
Yes I understand now ...What is the best way to explain how I do it is best done by loading the model into your editor and looking at it.
Its quite simple seen in your editor.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

made a test model.. finished up with 76 triangles..
wz2100-20110926_151034-Sk-Rush.jpg
wz2100-20110926_151125-Sk-Rush.jpg
I know, colors are wrong but anyway :P

P.S. Per, did you add the stretching foundations?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

MaNGusT wrote:made a test model.. finished up with 76 triangles
P.S. Per, did you add the stretching foundations?
The test model looks very good. I am not sure what you mean by add the stretching foundations. It is still doing exactly the same as it did previously - all vertices below zero in the model are stretched uniformly down to the lowest point in the terrain around it. (BTW, this is not the same as what it does in 2.3, where it stretches each vertex down to the terrain height below it, which causes distortions in the stretched texture, because vertices are stretched in different amounts.) Note that I am still open to other ways of handling foundations.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Per wrote:The test model looks very good. I am not sure what you mean by add the stretching foundations. It is still doing exactly the same as it did previously - all vertices below zero in the model are stretched uniformly down to the lowest point in the terrain around it.
I meant exactly this, just didn't know. :)
On the one hand it twists texture coords below zero and it's a bit noticeable even at medium zoom, but on the other hand it removes the need of an extra foundation model. I don't know, I'm not sure how exactly the game should deal with extra foundations. Any ideas Jorzi?
MaNGusT wrote:I suggest to use a special foundation model for an each building. This model will be in a separate pie file and will be connected to its main model through the stats(i.e. foundation gfx):
It should not stretch to terrain - it will be big as required, but also shouldn't be showed in the construction menu.
I can create a test model of foundation for you, Per, so you can find how really should it be. :-) do you need?
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Looks good to me, MaNGusT. Completely realistic too.

Great work. :)
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Extended models below 0 by 10 pixels
Attachments
extended model walls 10 pixels below zero seam gone and shadows back on
extended model walls 10 pixels below zero seam gone and shadows back on
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

looks awesome. now. how about the fracking licence. are these textures ok to use with our project. :annoyed:
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

lav_coyote25 wrote:looks awesome. now. how about the fracking licence. are these textures ok to use with our project. :annoyed:
There will be no FRACKING Licence issue. scroll back read the thread see what I said......(One should Make there own textures)!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Berg wrote:
lav_coyote25 wrote:looks awesome. now. how about the fracking licence. are these textures ok to use with our project. :annoyed:
There will be no FRACKING Licence issue. scroll back read the thread see what I said......(One should Make there own textures)!
i know this and you know this ... but apparently some one for got to tell whomever it was in the other thread. :lecture:
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

lav, don't flame pls. There are no things completely decided yet. We are trying to fix a big issue and can do that without your fracking emotions. ty
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

MaNGusT wrote:lav, don't flame pls. There are no things completely decided yet. We are trying to fix a big issue and can do that without your fracking emotions. ty
I din't consider lav to be flaming ..he was just making a point ...And it is a good point
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

MaNGusT, I think that model will do the job. Can you attach it?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Mangust: While foundations may be pretty flexible and useful in what they can do, they undoubtedly add a lot of extra files and things to keep track of. I would have no problem at all with simply using deep foundations, as long as the collision detection problem would be fixed...
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-