New sky?

Post by zoid »

As of 2.2.3, this old Urban/Rockies sky
page-25-sky-urban.png
page-25-sky-urban.png (88.97 KiB) Viewed 11471 times
was replaced with this one:
page-25-sky-urban2.png
page-25-sky-urban2.png (71.3 KiB) Viewed 11471 times
Don't get me wrong; the new sky is good, but the old one looks great too. Personally, I think the darker sky is perfect for the Urban environment, while the light blue sky goes well with the Rockies. :)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: New sky?

Post by Zarel »

We got rid of the darker sky because its license was incompatible with DFSG. Feel free to find a DFSG-compatible-licensed sky to use; I think the blue one looks out-of-place for Urban, too.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I am tempted to say that we let Debian have their happy shining cloud, while the rest of us who don't really care about the infinitesimally small differences between the CC 2 and 3 licenses get our depressing dark cloud back.
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

How the hell do you guys play the game with an odd angle just to look at the sky? O_o
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

-Kosh- wrote:How the hell do you guys play the game with an odd angle just to look at the sky? O_o
'Just' to look at the sky? You can change playing angle any time you like in-game :cP

I think that somebody should look through their photo album and look for cloud pictures - preferably "dark and depressing" ;cP I'll look into it tomorrow.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Meh, we only need to tune the hue/saturation on the bright cloud to get a depressing cloud. ;)

Avestron, the sky texpage wraps horizontally, so you can't just find a random sky in a photo album and use it.
zoid
Trained
Trained

Post by zoid »

Per wrote:I am tempted to say that we let Debian have their happy shining cloud, while the rest of us who don't really care about the infinitesimally small differences between the CC 2 and 3 licenses get our depressing dark cloud back.
I agree. :D

Why do we have the same sky for both Urban and Rockies? Is it possible to make a mod/patch with a different sky for each environment?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Meh, I'd advocate being nice to Debian. pabs3 is plenty nice to us. And we'll probably get a better sky eventually.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

I see the issue with new cloud pictures.

Still - who is Debian?
XboxJosh
Trained
Trained

Post by XboxJosh »

Debian

If I understand this straight, there is some licensing restriction attributed to Debian that prevented us from having that sky?

Alias: Cipher[SSC]

System Specs:
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional
CPU TYPE: AMD Athlon II X2 250
CPU SPEED: 3000 MHz
SYSTEM MEMORY: 4 GB (2 x 2GB, DDR2)
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL: NVidia GTS 250
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

What was the license of the old image?

I like this one.http://blender-archi.tuxfamily.org/imag ... oriz_5.jpg (it was ugly with forum crop)
Attachments
page-25-sky-urban.png
page-25-sky-urban.png (75.68 KiB) Viewed 11308 times
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Let's get 'em EMO clouds! xD

I could try to make some effects: My textures are getting good, I think that making some realistic sky wouldn't be too much of a trouble. Also, making it with double the current width would be interesting, or should I stick with the current resolution? Because the tiling effect of having the same sky pattern put one at each other's side is awful for artistical screenshots.

I like games that make you want to take screenshots all the time - such as WoW, as the perfect example of this kind of game. I also feel like that whenever I'm playing UFO: Aftershock (great game, huge flaws, but I must recommend it) as well. :ninja:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Olrox wrote:I could try to make some effects: My textures are getting good, I think that making some realistic sky wouldn't be too much of a trouble. Also, making it with double the current width would be interesting, or should I stick with the current resolution? Because the tiling effect of having the same sky pattern put one at each other's side is awful for artistical screenshots.
Textures must be square powers of 2. However, you could make it double width and then stretch it vertically. I don't know if our engine is made to handle that, though.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I think trying wouldn't hurt ;)
I'll see if I can manage to do anything good enough.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Olrox wrote:Also, making it with double the current width would be interesting, or should I stick with the current resolution?
You can increase the resolution to get more detail on the same area. If you want to have one or two wraparounds instead of the four we have now, the engine needs to be modified.