New interface buttons

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
silberfuchs
Greenhorn

New interface buttons

Post by silberfuchs »

Left are the originals, right are the new ones that I made. They aren't much different than the originals because most people seem to want to keep the same general appearance. I didn't make new icons yet, either. They are a lot smoother and the full button glow when selected makes it much more obvious which settings are selected, too.

What do you guys think? If people like them, I'll remake all of the buttons; not just the game settings.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Re: New interface buttons

Post by Terminator »

Nice. I like it. Where I can get them ?

(P.s.: wrong topic. It should be in showcase is suppose)
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

They look a bit too much like the old ones. The problem is that the old ones look flat. The new ones look curved outward and flat at the same time, which is a really unsettling look.

I think the bigger problem might be that they look out-of-place with the flat look of the rest of Warzone. I don't know how to fix that, but if anyone has ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

Giving selected options a brighter background is a good idea, though, and might be implemented separately.
silberfuchs
Greenhorn

Post by silberfuchs »

Nice. I like it. Where I can get them ?
Nowhere yet. They aren't anywhere near finished and look out of place because only a few of the buttons have been done.
I think the bigger problem might be that they look out-of-place with the flat look of the rest of Warzone. I don't know how to fix that, but if anyone has ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.
I think you're right. I've made some more adjustments. This time, a few of the icons have been updated as well. The icons take forever to do, so if someone wants to help with those then they are more than welcome to.
Giving selected options a brighter background is a good idea, though, and might be implemented separately.
If you want, I can do just the selected highlights and attach those.
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

I really liked the first suggestion. What Zarel described as "unsettling look" I think is what makes the difference, and at the same time keeps the Warzone interface identity.

The icons set I liked less... Gradients are fun, but not too much :)
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

iap wrote:I really liked the first suggestion. What Zarel described as "unsettling look"
+1

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

silberfuchs wrote:I think you're right. I've made some more adjustments. This time, a few of the icons have been updated as well. The icons take forever to do, so if someone wants to help with those then they are more than welcome to.
Better, but it still looks kind of "wrong". Warzone's interface is really designed to be flat, and "flat" is a pretty nice look, so I'm wary of moving away from that.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

silberfuchs Dont listen Zarel :rolleyes: Just do what you think is right =)

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Terminator wrote:silberfuchs Dont listen Zarel :rolleyes: Just do what you think is right =)
:/

If it wasn't already obvious, all I'm doing is giving feedback and suggestions. You're always free to take them and leave them (but keep in mind you have to get a few developers to agree with you if you want to get something into the core game).
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

nice update.
think you could update the rest of the menu to match?

a glitching holographic look would be pretty neat imo
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

Zarel wrote:
Terminator wrote:silberfuchs Dont listen Zarel :rolleyes: Just do what you think is right =)
:/

If it wasn't already obvious, all I'm doing is giving feedback and suggestions. You're always free to take them and leave them (but keep in mind you have to get a few developers to agree with you if you want to get something into the core game).
LOL, I think you just got Image

I rather like the slightly newer style...but it does still look like the same old icons.
How about make something that is really different but still gets the point across on what the icons mean ?
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
silberfuchs
Greenhorn

Post by silberfuchs »

The problem is that everyone wants something different. Some want the old icons, some want the new ones. Some want smooth, clean graphics, while others want a very retro look. Without much direction as to what people want, it's hard to go in any single direction without having to constantly remake the buttons to suit peoples needs.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

silberfuchs wrote:The problem is that everyone wants something different. Some want the old icons, some want the new ones. Some want smooth, clean graphics, while others want a very retro look. Without much direction as to what people want, it's hard to go in any single direction without having to constantly remake the buttons to suit peoples needs.
Well, just do whatever you feel is best. All anyone else says (including me) are just suggestions. We might not even be right.

(Of course, it wouldn't hurt to listen to to listen to the dev, either. ;) )
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well I like the last image I saw... to make them better I would add some color to them... Im kind of bored of the blue schema... some color wouldn't hurt.