Revamping the wall sections

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Revamping the wall sections

Post by Avestron »

Well while I'm waiting on texturing advice I may as well crack on with other stuff.

As I've mentioned in the past I do think that the walls of warzone could see a significant improvement. Below are two images worked upon of the same wall section - one at pill-box level - and another at 8x pillbox level (or 4x hardcrete wall level)

Level 1

Level 8

- - - - - - -

For those unaware of what I am on about I am seeking to create the artwork necessary for more complex wall structures:

- Walls of varying height
- Walls of varying degrees of accessibility
- Walls convertable into gateways
- Walls extendible into bridges
- Wall tile flooring enabling road-like surface
- Wall suitable for structure foundations

- - - - - -

The following are the art-work related hurdles that I anticipate:

- Allowing walls to be accessed by cyborgs

Would it be easier to create a hollow wall with holes and have regular walls be plugged up versions of this wall or would the insertion of a tunnel bypass object section work well enough for granting this access?

- Wall heights

Would it be better to replace an upgrading wall with an entirely new wall section or would it be better to have the new construction sit on top of the old one (i.e. better to have 8 wall segments sitting on top of each other or 8 different wall structures that are replaced?)?

- Wall-top access to units

Would it be possible to place wedges on top of wall sections that smooth height differences sufficiently for vehicles and cyborgs to climb to the top of a wall?

- Walls and structures

Would wall mounting of weapons be possible? Would be nice to see some bunkers raining down heck from 8 levels up.

- - - - -

And this for the programmers - would any of this pose a headache in programming once done?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Revamping the wall sections

Post by Buginator »

Hmm, I would think it would be better to put that kind of detail into the texture, instead of wasting polygons... Walls are pretty small, so the detail you are showing might just go to waste.
and it ends here.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

What you could do is create a very nice high poly model and then copy it and edit the copied one to make it very low poly. Then "bake" the high poly onto the low poly one resulting in what is called a normal map that can be applied to the low poly one to make it look hi def. There is a free tool from nvidia called melody that does baking. :geek:

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
DuKe2112
Trained
Trained

Post by DuKe2112 »

blender and 3dsm can both bake themselves, also normal mappinn is not supported yet.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

DuKe2112 wrote:blender and 3dsm can both bake themselves, also normal mappinn is not supported yet.
Not yet because there isn't stuff that uses it, mainly.

~Olrox
DuKe2112
Trained
Trained

Post by DuKe2112 »

Yeah and no one spends time on producing something, because it is not supported anyway...
I know oldest cycle in history.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

DuKe2112 wrote:Yeah and no one spends time on producing something, because it is not supported anyway...
I know oldest cycle in history.
No one = Me, Colditz and Mangust.
We are producing content with normal mapping - at our own pace, but we really are. Macuser is trying to help us with that, probably he'll be producing content like that also.

Don't be that skeptical, it is even unhealthy in some cases.

~Olrox