Rookie
Rookie

New Turret

Post by thelion »

424 triangles (top + bottom)

Smaller

Bigger
http://i27.tinypic.com/14ieemb.png

Note: I have Windows 7, so I cannot run pieslicer. I've used the 3ds-to-pie converter. Hopefully the converter got the triangle face one side.
Attachments
at_bottom.pie
(3.83 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
AT_top.pie
(19.65 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Re: New Turret

Post by Tenoh »

I like it, its very good! maybe itll be good for the battle ship from precoll?
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I didn't like it, but I really think that it could get much better. ;)

I particularly, like to think about the engineering behind my models, it frequently makes my work harder, but the results are always better.

I mean, how is the recoil going to be compensated? Wouldn't a turret like that need to have more internal space to add brakes? How does it reload? If it's recoil-operated, how many space would 3 cannons require? If it's gas-operated, where are the gas ports and the pistons?

Questions like those would help you to add more interesting details to the model. I don't mean raising polygon count or adding unecessary geometry, 3d artists should master the technique of efficiently distributing polygons and using texture effects to make the model look more complex than it actually is.

If you want, I can help making the textures and mapping the models, I may not be quite the expert, but I'm getting the hang of it. :)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

at the risk of setting off a huge storm - here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16_inch_%2 ... _naval_gun xD

or this one... of the iowa...http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... -61_pr.jpg xD
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

That's the kind of thing artists should look at and understand befor making a model, yes. Each barrel has separate mechanisms for compensating recoil in any way possible. The gun house is very long and, by taking a quick look at the cutaway, It is immediately obvious that such a massive gun needs a complete infrastructure far bigger than the gun house. The reloading mechanism takes a lot of space. And it's for firing 16 inch projectiles, anyway.

I don't mean that artists need to necessarily show every single element on a mechanism, but to avoid some... things... :cool: we need to at least have a good understanding of the whole thing to depict the most important elements and always consider the elements that we aren't showing on our models (which is fundamental for, let's say, animation).

But let's allow thelion to draw his own conclusions, it is very important for developing creativity to more intellectual levels.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

i found the conversation we had way back in 2003 - it used to have pics but - they have gone.

http://www.directgames.net/pumpkin2/for ... wtopic=732

color of the site is - old. xD
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

hahahahahahahaha fetish lol
xD
I agree that it would be interesting. Some kind of "special" weapon between the 7.62mm machinegun and the LasSat. Just because it's awfully painful to go through the whole research tree to get your hands on some special weapons. Making something like that (intermediary special weapons) would also add to the research limitations idea...
It's been long since I've spent time looking at general development, I don't know if somebody is working on a mod that allows separating the research tree in a way similar to the campaign.
There are the cannon fortresses and the missile fortresses. Why not make a howitzer fortress? ;)
What do you guys think?
I remember some people talking about using the same weapons as the ones used at the fortresses and bastions at the battleships, if they were made into and actual mod (did they already? O_o ). Then, we could have heavy artillery at a mobile heavy weapons platform that's protected from ground attacks.
I mean, Hellstorm Bug Hover seems... silly to say the least :stare:
:)
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

On that note id like to see laser fortress lol.but yeah.Turret changes would be nice for fortresses.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Oh my, I think that customizing defensive turrets for buildings in a similar way to vehicle design would be a very interesting thing, maybe not overly useful, but interesting anyways. But I just can't see that happening in WZ2100...
But I'll add it to my RTS, no doubt.
:ninja:
But don't tell anybody
:ninja:
xD
Is thelion still here?
Do you want to make a new model?
Do you want me to do a model based on my ideas?
What about textures?

I, for one, can only make the models, map them, make the textures and post them until someone kind enough decides do use them in a mod. If someone like that ever shows up, I mean. :rolleyes:

Regards, Olrox.
thelion
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thelion »

Thanks for the feedback.

I will change the model according to the the suggestions.
I'll post updated model [here].

Of the offer for texture, Olrox, that would be great! (My standard zbrush workflow for making textures fails at low polygons, so I can't use it.)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

:stare: :zZz:
:-S :...:
O_O :!!!:
Oh, okay then! I'll be waiting anxiously! :D
I'll also model something in the meantime! :twisted:

(I think I've exceeded my quota of smileys for this week, lol)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Ah...
I always feel like I could have done a better work if i'd put a little more time on it. I mean, it feels like I've overlooked some flaws, but nevermind!
That's Why I post it for feedback, isn't it? :D

I've decided not to texturize already because I don't know if I'll have to remodel it or something. Cartoonish look intended, it wouldn't look good without textures anyway and setting up lights and balancing fog and materials and stuff takes time, and the result wouldn't be the best anyway.

Features:
3 320mm howitzers with recoil brakes, additional armour plating covering the front, and a set of target designation and trajectory calculation systems "hanging" to the right side of the turret. Reloading is meant to be done by electric mechanisms protected inside the turret, as well as the ammunition storage.
Attachments
3barartillery.PNG
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Good job Olrox, as always :)
It fits well for current "bunkerish" WZ style IMO.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

Keep the turrets comin! I'd love to put them on fortresses! How about a better big cannon turret? 150mm that they use on tanks today would be cool!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Olrox wrote:Ah...
I always feel like I could have done a better work if i'd put a little more time on it. I mean, it feels like I've overlooked some flaws, but nevermind!
That's Why I post it for feedback, isn't it? :D

I've decided not to texturize already because I don't know if I'll have to remodel it or something. Cartoonish look intended, it wouldn't look good without textures anyway and setting up lights and balancing fog and materials and stuff takes time, and the result wouldn't be the best anyway.

Features:
3 320mm howitzers with recoil brakes, additional armour plating covering the front, and a set of target designation and trajectory calculation systems "hanging" to the right side of the turret. Reloading is meant to be done by electric mechanisms protected inside the turret, as well as the ammunition storage.
dont forget that where the barrels would poke through the top of the slots they sit in - will not look good. the original 6 pack or the original 3 pack had the same problem... kage could never get rid of the anomoly. xD
3barartillery2.PNG
3barartillery2.PNG (53.13 KiB) Viewed 12753 times
3barartillery3.PNG
3barartillery3.PNG (58.36 KiB) Viewed 12753 times