Upgraded Truck model/texture needed!

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: Upgraded Truck model/texture needed!

Post by Olrox »

Arr, someone got some spare time to give me? O_o
I'll do them as soon as possible, I promisse!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

how about a rectangular box shape using that crane thingy on top of it with the beam coming from the end of the crane thingy... the crane thingy would be the only item moving - the box would be stationary....i am not a good artist so if you dont understand - i can try to make a model... but keeping in mind it would look like it was hit with an ugly stick. xD
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

lav_coyote25 wrote:how about a rectangular box shape using that crane thingy on top of it with the beam coming from the end of the crane thingy... the crane thingy would be the only item moving - the box would be stationary....i am not a good artist so if you dont understand - i can try to make a model... but keeping in mind it would look like it was hit with an ugly stick. xD
Hmmm, I couldn't understand it, sorry :P
Hit it with the ugly stick, Coyote! xD

P.S.: My upgraded truck model have 266 triangles, I didn't get the count of the regular one, but it should be much less. I'm currently mapping the upgraded version.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I've finished mapping, but I'll have a maths exam tomorrow by the morning (complex numbers, pah :stressed: ) so I've got to study a bit.
Brace yourselves, I'll post the second texturized model I've ever done tomorrow :twisted:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Alright, I've spent about 6 hours to make the textures. As I always do, each pattern, relief and effect was exclusively made for this model, therefore I forced myself to remake every part until it was satisfactory. Some little adjustments are obviously needed in the upper duct, as there are a few seams visible.

I've personally loved it :D

What do you guys think?

P.S.: Textures are currently 1024X1024 (of course, I didn't use All of the texture page, but it was about 2/3), so rescaling will not result in too much loss of details, I think.
Attachments
Top view
Top view
Rear isometric view
Rear isometric view
Front isometric view
Front isometric view
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Olrox wrote: What do you guys think?
Nice work. But I think it's too blurry. You need to test it in game.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

The inside of the truck and the green parts look excellent. I dunno about the rest, though.
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

very awesome :twisted:

p.s. could you add textures to the edges to the gray building things, they kinda blend in with one another
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

Are you going to make a mod for 2.2.x? I want to use these asap. They look very cool, good work :) .
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

It 'is' very awesome :c) I know why the 'materializers' look blury - its the white background - it would look clear on most maps - but might still look blurry on snow.

A solution is to modify the texture file such that the edges of the prongs are a little darkened.

Very very nice work :c)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I'll try to sharpen the textures a bit more. In addition, I'll try to make some "frames" to the pointy things that project buildings :cool:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Here it is :ninja:
I've added bumps to some parts like the duct and the base, modifyied the prongs and made the front "hub" teamcolored also. Please note, when I say teamcolored I mean green, I do not know how to make those kind of variations yet.

If there isn't anything specific that should be changed, I'll post the model & texture page here.
Attachments
truck0050.jpg
truck0012.jpg
truck0001.jpg
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

At Olrox: I like everything about your new Truck. In particular it conveys "muscle" (as in what they call classic muscle cars like the Shelby Cobra), a hint of the best of "Monster Trucks" and the muscle conveyed at a glance when you see an Abrams - at least IMHO. ;)

I have sometimes wondered about the Trucks applied phlebotinum mechanic: energy-matter conversion like ST "replicators" or maybe some Nano Spray of nananites working some alchemical "magic". Oh, I don't know really but whatever the mechanic I've wondered if the truck-bed should give an indication of raw materials. But then again, if it's energy > matter ...

BTW.... I'm working on a Dual Weap Wing Turret that I may use on my new Scav APC Unit ("The Locust") and I have been having a hard time coming up with textures that satisfy me. In looking at yours I think they may work for me - may I give it shot when you post your texture files ? I'll understand if you'd rather they just be used for your new truck - totally cool if you feel that way.

Regards, whip :ninja:
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Bumps gave a drastic change to the texture, they are just great imo...
whippersnapper wrote:the Trucks applied phlebotinum mechanic
Hmm... Orlox, how about adding some blue marks on the front end of the spears (or what it should be)? It would symbolize the nanolathe mechanismImage
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hmm, I was thinking of an explanation like that, a parcticle that had properties like stem cells, that changed its atomic configuration with the electrical discharge of the pointy things there :P

But I couldn't come up with anything that would explain the exact coordinates for the particles to stop and be held together, and what could explain the fact that the building is "inflated" instead of advance through some stages. I mean, how come the furniture and machines and stuff gets inside the building?

I think that one of the most interesting building procedure explanation I've seen in strategy games is from Enemy Nations.
The structures didn't simply pop up from the ground like in almost every C&C, and doesn't inflate as in WZ2100. Instead, they "unshrouded" in stages, 4 of them I think.

1-Not shown in picture, the flattened soil without vegetation.
2-Red, the foundation starts to appear, revealing the structures' layout.
3-Blue, the main structural elements appear, showing the "skeleton" of the building, which starts to take its shape.
4-Green, the structure finishing starts to appear, and the building is complete when this stage ends.

There, you got the builders, which have mechanical arms, to build the structures. They enter the structure's boundaries and start their work (they don't show up doing animations or anything). There are the trucks, which brings the materials for the builders.

In warzone, we don't need what would be the trucks of Enemy Nations, as the game is already balanced not to have that (having such units would mean having extra [annoying, in this case] micro management). However, it would be very interesting if we could have separate models which "grow up" during the construction phase. Those could be simple 2-sided polygons, with transparency, resembling the structural elements, a separate foundation model wouldn't be interesting, we already have that.

Then, during the construction, instead of the finished building just growing from nothing, we would have it broken into 2 phases: First, the structural elements appear, growing up like the actual structures do in WZ. after they reach full size, the finished structure starts to grow as it currently does.

I don't have the slightest idea wether it is possible or not, don't know a thing about the game code and I'm not yet interested in learn how to mess with it :P
I'm only 18, that looks so boring to me, I like to actually se the things happening, you know? ;)
whippersnapper wrote:BTW.... I'm working on a Dual Weap Wing Turret that I may use on my new Scav APC Unit ("The Locust") and I have been having a hard time coming up with textures that satisfy me. In looking at yours I think they may work for me - may I give it shot when you post your texture files ? I'll understand if you'd rather they just be used for your new truck - totally cool if you feel that way.
Oh, it's fine, I must say I'm really glad to hear that. I'll post it already, model and textures, so the devs can make their job with it. If you want, I can make those textures for you, just need the model (I want to practice mapping & texturizing, anyway :D )
i-NoD wrote:Hmm... Orlox, how about adding some blue marks on the front end of the spears (or what it should be)? It would symbolize the nanolathe mechanismImage
Nanolathe, from supreme commander? It's what I've found on wikipedia for that :rolleyes:

And phlebotinum? hahahahahaha, I've found something funny about that when I've googled it:
Tv Tropes wrote:Phlebotinum is the magical substance that may be rubbed on almost anything to cause an effect needed by a plot. Some examples: nanotechnology, magic crystal emanations, pixie dust, a sonic screwdriver. Oh, and Green Rocks. In essence, it is the stuff that makes the plot go. Without it, the story would grind to an abrupt halt. It's science, it's magic, it's strange things unknown to science - the reader does not know how Phlebotinum would work and the creators hope he doesn't care.
Sorry about the long post anyway :P
Attachments
3 of the 4 building stages in enemy nations
3 of the 4 building stages in enemy nations