Upgraded Truck model/texture needed!

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Upgraded Truck model/texture needed!

Post by Zarel »

So one way we're going to fix the truck rush problem is to have worse trucks in the earlygame, but be able to research an Improved Truck for the latergame.

So we're going to need a new truck model. It needs to look enough like the old truck model that people can tell it's still a truck you build things with, but different enough that people can tell it's a different, improved version.

Who's up for it? Anyone who can make one I'm satisfied with gets... hmm... I know, a free dinner with Zarel! Well, provided you come over to Minnesota someday.
BulletMagnet
Trained
Trained

Re: Upgraded Truck model/texture needed!

Post by BulletMagnet »

what about making more use of cyborg engineers?

i mean, surely you can throw around the numbers to pressure people into using those.
Crushy
Trained
Trained

Post by Crushy »

Don't take this as me picking up this request, but what exactly would an upgraded truck be?

I mean, we could make it bigger and such but that would be lame...

Does the back-story explain what they are shooting while building? In most games it's nanoparticles or something, but I really don't think anyone with access to nanotechnology would be using wheeled tanks with mgs.

Hmm maybe we should just go for construction vehicles of some sort. Maybe the upgraded one could have a bulldozer or crane.
Current status: Sick and Learning to model in blender. Failing at both.
ALiEN987
Greenhorn

Post by ALiEN987 »

Zarel wrote:So one way we're going to fix the truck rush problem is to have worse trucks in the earlygame
Worse trucks? Does this mean that the existing truck is going to build slower??? Please say no.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

BulletMagnet wrote:what about making more use of cyborg engineers?

i mean, surely you can throw around the numbers to pressure people into using those.
Borg engineers have too much AT-resistance and AR-resistance.
Crushy wrote:Don't take this as me picking up this request, but what exactly would an upgraded truck be?

I mean, we could make it bigger and such but that would be lame...
You're free to make it look like whatever you think is best. I don't have any more specific ideas, but I'll mention them if I do.

I'd really liked it if they conveyed that they have more HP but are lighter than the current truck. If you can't convey either of those, that's fine too.
Crushy wrote:Does the back-story explain what they are shooting while building? In most games it's nanoparticles or something, but I really don't think anyone with access to nanotechnology would be using wheeled tanks with mgs.
I think it's nanoparticles? There's no "official" explanation, so you can make that up, too, if you want. You're right about that, though. Maybe we should just call it "magic". :P
Crushy wrote:Hmm maybe we should just go for construction vehicles of some sort. Maybe the upgraded one could have a bulldozer or crane.
Not a bad idea, actually. But it'd be nice if it had at least as much in common with the truck as the cyborg engineer does (i.e. those two thingies that stick out should still be there).
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

is new truck necessary?

maybe you could make new research instead, that gives trucks (only trucks) much more hp and lower the weight?
players will not get confussed by different building units, they will not have to go to design screen to create new unit that does the same things etc. Game would be easier to understand and easier to manage. It is very complex at the moment, please do not make it more complex.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Prototype ^_^

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Avestron wrote:Prototype ^_^
Um, what's that thing in the front of it? o_O

Also, compare it to this image:

It looks like your "horns" are a bit small, and they're not entirely the right shape.

Otherwise, a good start. Hmm, maybe a different shape for the truck-bed, to make it look more different from the existing truck?
guciomir wrote:maybe you could make new research instead, that gives trucks (only trucks) much more hp and lower the weight?
No, that's impossible without entirely reworking the modding system, which would take a long time, and break savegame compatibility, and since no other upgrade affects turret HP or weight, it would make the game even more confusing.
guciomir wrote:players will not get confussed by different building units, they will not have to go to design screen to create new unit that does the same things etc. Game would be easier to understand and easier to manage. It is very complex at the moment, please do not make it more complex.
What's so confusing? All other turrets get upgraded. Heck, the truck is currently the only turret that doesn't get upgraded.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

That thing on the front of it is supposed to be a smaller scale truck turret not too dissimilar to that found upon a cyborg.

You did indicate that you might be introducing an advanced truck turret (with improved abilities) and so I made the following modifications:

HP - Thicker walls and a frontal wedge
Weight Reduction - Lower side and rear walls without losing the truck look
Improved Build Rate - The 'horns' giving off 4 build rays (instead of the usual 2) should convey the impression of faster building rates.

The front part can be removed and adapted to just look cool and better armoured. ;)

Here is a second prototype - hopefully better accentuating the 'thing' ;cP

By the way if anybody wants a shortcut to their own version - I've gone ahead and included the blender file for use.
Attachments

[The extension blend has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Ehh, the thing in front looks a bit out-of-place. How's about just having four "horns" in normal places? That could work.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Hmm... I could use four "horns" but in my opinion it would look somewhat ugly.

I could try a forked end 'build appendage'.

For the moment here is prototype 03 - a simpler but potentially more attractive (and sturdy and practical) design catering for 3 beams.

Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Here is the forked-end version I spoke of yesterday.

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Ehh, no, forked ends is even uglier.

Try three "horns"?
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

You mean something similar to the version before last?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Yes, but make the middle one look more like the other horns.