Just another Scavenger art

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Just another Scavenger art

Post by Zarel »

you can see the updated wiki page here = http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/Mods/ScavArt (lav_coyote25 updated.) xD

i-NoD wrote:Here is how the brighter and thinner version (half-way to the original sketch) will look like:
"Thinner" is not a good thing, as Per and I have been trying to point out... Thicker is better, and more in line with the original textures.
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

Post by new paradigm leader »

why is thinner a bad thing it sharpens the image it allows for greater detail and
Per wrote:(and no self-respecting baba wants to blend into the background!)
more likely than not scavenger would hide in the background as second nature. look at the facts of the case, 1. they have enemies that make them look weak everywhere 2. these enemies have much better technology and power, 3 this all together means that the viability for confrontation is nil until that is we change the even if just for MP and Skirmish
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

new paradigm leader wrote:why is thinner a bad thing it sharpens the image it allows for greater detail
Greater detail can't be seen at a normal zoom level. This is an RTS, not a first-person shooter or something.

Thicker is better, since it makes it look clearer at the normal zoom level at which Warzone is usually played.
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

Post by new paradigm leader »

fair enough what of compromise. because I'm a tad sad and was forever zooming in on scavs because they fascinate me.
maybe also adding scav vehicles as well..? but i thought they were brilliant when they first surfaced in the thread for warschool. (and i look forward to that mod intensely)
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

The might be the issue that wz2.2 texture size which limited to 512px max while i've created a 1024px texture - downscaling creates blur, to avoid it lets talk step-by-step about trunk version:
- zoomed shot
wz2100_shot_015.png
- far shot
wz2100_shot_016.png
is yellow bright enough? or maybe you want a completely different color background, so it should not faint :| ?
Per wrote:Be wary of "thin" parts that make it seem like a paper model
Are you referring to car's rear side and doors? I guess I might add some polys here, while i've tried to keep them as few as possible without quality degradation (strangely there is more significant fps degradation in trunk version than in 2.2 - i have 30 jeeps on the same map and almost in the same positions - if shadows are off both version will give ~50fps - if shadows are in 2.2 fps will be lower on 10-30% while in trunk there will be 50% less fps :( )
Zarel wrote:and more in line with the original textures.
Could you please alter my texture in some way (just as a sample) to show where and what to add/remove?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

i-NoD wrote:Could you please alter my texture in some way (just as a sample) to show where and what to add/remove?
The black lines should be anti-aliased, maybe a bit thicker, and lighter.

The scav needs a gun. A big gun. Take a look at the original Jeep.

Just make a yellow halfway between your current yellow and the original scav yellow. Wheels could stand being a bit darker, too.

Radiator grill thing in the front should probably be grayer.

I can alter your texture to show what I mean, but it's going to take a while, since I don't have any originals. :/ Send me a PSD or something.
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Hmm... There is a PSD converter plugin in my Paint.Net but i dunno if it works correctly
page-5-vehicles-arizona.zip
(302.6 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Zarel wrote:The scav needs a gun. A big gun. Take a look at the original Jeep.
Wait, wait, wait! The idea was to make a jeep base and then add weapon parts (gun, rocket launcher and so on) as a separate pies, so the scav units will be designable as any Project ones. I think there is no need in creating a monolithic pies like Pumkin ones.
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

And I'd to remove the glass from windshield since I can't find any way to render it properly within current rendering engine :(
Is there any change to see things from that topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2156&start=30 ingame any time soon (months, years...)?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

i-NoD wrote:Wait, wait, wait! The idea was to make a jeep base and then add weapon parts (gun, rocket launcher and so on) as a separate pies, so the scav units will be designable as any Project ones. I think there is no need in creating a monolithic pies like Pumkin ones.
Um, which idea?

The idea is first to replace the current scav images. We can worry about adding other weapon parts later.

The weapon graphic is separate from the jeep graphic, anyway.
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Zarel wrote:Um, which idea?
The idea is first to replace the current scav images. We can worry about adding other weapon parts later.
The idea to split scav base vehicles from their weapons was mentioned somewhere in the "WarSchool" thread.
Zarel wrote:The weapon graphic is separate from the jeep graphic, anyway.
How's that? I do know that there are two jeep pies - one with mgun inside and another with missile battery - and their weapons are static simply because its a single pie. While I can somehow tolerate when a missile jeep rotates (as tank :!!!: ) to the requested attack angle, the mgun jeep firing backward with weapon looking forward is too much for me :(
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

I think The jeep will look better when the rest of the scav vehicles are redone. Things always look better when they match every thing else.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

i-NoD wrote:How's that? I do know that there are two jeep pies - one with mgun inside and another with missile battery - and their weapons are static simply because its a single pie. While I can somehow tolerate when a missile jeep rotates (as tank :!!!: ) to the requested attack angle, the mgun jeep firing backward with weapon looking forward is too much for me :(
You can set weapons to nonrotating. I believe mortars and howitzers do this.

The weapon PIE should still be separate from the Jeep PIE.
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Zarel wrote:"i-NoD: How's that? I do know that there are two jeep pies - one with mgun inside and another with missile battery - and their weapons are static simply because its a single pie. While I can somehow tolerate when a missile jeep rotates (as tank :!!!: ) to the requested attack angle, the mgun jeep firing backward with weapon looking forward is too much for me :("

You can set weapons to nonrotating. I believe mortars and howitzers do this.
The weapon PIE should still be separate from the Jeep PIE.
I was referring to the current wz jeep pies, not mine. Probably it's my fault as a poor pupil on english lessons :-S
But lets put aside weapons for a while and concentrate on jeep itself.. I've modified a pie a bit and now jeep is more rounded now :)
Added a lot of black border lines on a texture - should give a more detailed look. The coloring was modified again - I think it's pretty near to the original now.
wz2100_shot_025.jpg
wz2100_shot_026.png
And here is new version of the mod:
ScavJeep_v4.wz
(21.47 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
P.S. Forgot to mention that it's wz2.2 campaign(!) mod.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

i-NoD wrote:I was referring to the current wz jeep pies, not mine. Probably it's my fault as a poor pupil on english lessons :-S
But lets put aside weapons for a while and concentrate on jeep itself.. I've modified a pie a bit and now jeep is more rounded now :)
Added a lot of black border lines on a texture - should give a more detailed look. The coloring was modified again - I think it's pretty near to the original now.
The black looks a bit too dark. Can you use a brownish color instead?

And the tires could use being a bit darker.

It's giving me a bit of a "cardboard" look. Almost as if it were paper folded in the shape of a Jeep, rather than an actual Jeep. I dunno how one would fix that. :/

It's coming along quite nicely.
i-NoD wrote:P.S. Forgot to mention that it's wz2.2 campaign(!) mod.
Why isn't it a global mod?