Bridge carrying tank

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
wizard
Greenhorn

Bridge carrying tank

Post by wizard »

When i was playing warzone there were times where a shortcut accross a river would have been a great advantage rather than bringing in weaker hovers to do the job. So i went about designing a tank that carries a bridge on its back but is also equiped with cannons. I looked at the czech tank for the deploying mechanism >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCP3X8WqD9Y << .I dont know if this could be uploaded to be used in warzone but would be cool if it could! :D
Feed back and thoughts on it would be much appreciated,
Cheers guys.
Attachments
bridge tank.jpg
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Re: Bridge carrying tank

Post by fisk0 »

looks great, I don't think the WZ engine could handle mobile bridges (or bridges at all?) currently, but I think I have read that they plan to include support for at least constructing static bridges in the future. Hopefully they'll support this kind of units as well, since it would be awesome. :)
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

We're planning on adding the ability to construct bridges at some point.
eyestrain92
Trained
Trained

Post by eyestrain92 »

Bridges are nice.
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

awesome ;)

p.s. I like the body it would make a great new heavy body

maybe we could add a excavator turret that can level un-buildable terrain flat, so you can build on it ( gives more space for building ) :3
wizard
Greenhorn

Post by wizard »

would be great if i could get it uploaded into the game, id love to try on my own but ive nooooooo clue how to do it dont even no where to start or what to look at. any help would be nice
p.s. thanks alot for the comments guys much appreciated
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

wizard wrote:would be great if i could get it uploaded into the game, id love to try on my own but ive nooooooo clue how to do it dont even no where to start or what to look at. any help would be nice
p.s. thanks alot for the comments guys much appreciated
We currently don't have bridge functionality in game, unfortunately. :/ That's what I meant when I said it was on our to-do list.
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

A bridge-laying tank is a realy cool idea, but I would rather not have weapons on it. It would become a multi-role unit and unclarify the distiction between combat- and support units. Real-life engineers are never sent into combat-zones anyways.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

Indeed,model is cool but weapons must go.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Maybe a deployment system like that of the Biber would be easier to animate than the MT-55 type, since it does almonst only horizontal movement while the sowiet model tilts the bridge in several directions at the same time. Check here:http://www.youtube.com/user/ollpe#play/ ... 6-mGwPh4L8. It's a compuer animation, but it gives a clearer impression compared to footage of real Bibers.
praefectus
Trained
Trained

Post by praefectus »

Corporal Punishment wrote:Real-life engineers are never sent into combat-zones anyways.
LOL ... so there where no engineers on Omaha/Sword/Utah/Gold/Juno beach on D-day ... ?
I wonder who it was that blasted the way through the nazi defences that day ;)

Maybe som light guns for self defence would be OK
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

That were the combat forces themselfs. To cut through barb wire, the used explosive pipes called Bangalore still in use today, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_hq75Je1sg for reference. Concrete defences were not demolished at all but stormed like any other building. It was planned to take them out by tactical bombers, but the pilots mostly found the own forces to close in the vicinity of their targtes and broke of their attack runs. The bottom line is, US forces kept throwing in soldiers until the german defenders ran out of ammunition. I got this confirmed by veterans from both sides.
Believe me, I know pretty well how the military does things and how they don't. The Corporal in Corporal Punishment refers to the fact that I served with german Bundeswehr Rangers for several years and retired from active service as a Corporal. If I put forward anyting about real-life military, it's first hand experience.
praefectus
Trained
Trained

Post by praefectus »

Corporal Punishment wrote:That were the combat forces themselfs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_Beac ... r_landings

and this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_engineer
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Your first link is referring to combat engineers which were not independant troop bodies. These soldiers were part of combat batallions performing minor construction/demolishion tasks. They are usually organzied as groops belonging to infantry compagnies. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_eng ... tates_Army. Dedicated engineer/combat engineer batallions work behind the actual front line, though often very close to it, under cover from combat forces or artillery. They are the ones with the bridge laying tanks and armoured construction vehicles. Such forces were not involved in operation overlord.
praefectus
Trained
Trained

Post by praefectus »

Corporal Punishment wrote:....Dedicated engineer/combat engineer batallions work behind the actual front line, though often very close to it, under cover from combat forces or artillery. They are the ones with the bridge laying tanks and armoured construction vehicles....
"Usually, a combat engineer is also trained as an infantry rifleman, and combat engineer elements often have a secondary role fighting as formed infantry. Beyond self-defense, combat engineers, infantry and assault troopers from Armored Corps units are generally the only troops that engage in the assault while dismounted. This role is limited by a lack of organic fire support (such as that obtained by Infantry units from their mortars), however combat engineers typically do have extensive anti-armored capability in their infantry fighting role."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_engineering

I shall refrain from commenting on the topic further.