Mech Prototypes WIP

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: Mech Prototypes WIP

Post by Olrox »

Hmm, I thought about mechs a little bit, and found myself making a model half an hour later :P

Here's a little something I'm working with, it's not intended for use in the game (I could make an adequate model and use some renders to make the textures), but for concept art. :)

I don't want to bother you, I can post them elsewhere if I get in the discussion's and development's way :D

Regards,
Olrox :!!!:
Attachments
Mech propulsion prototype 0.2 by Olrox
Mech propulsion prototype 0.2 by Olrox
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Olrox wrote: I don't want to bother you, I can post them elsewhere if I get in the discussion's and development's way :D
Regards,
is ok - art like this is worth being bothered by. :3 xD
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

lav_coyote25 wrote:
Olrox wrote: I don't want to bother you, I can post them elsewhere if I get in the discussion's and development's way :D
Regards,
is ok - art like this is worth being bothered by. :3 xD
" :rolleyes: :...:
Sometimes :mad; "
xD
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

Olrox wrote:" :rolleyes: :...:
Sometimes :mad; "
xD
no no, I'm honored
concept art is always inspiring to me & yours is breath taking
I've been stuck in a rut lately, on my "Project Assault Quadruped"
this might just get me going again
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

XANAX wrote: I've been stuck in a rut lately, on my "Project Assault Quadruped"
this might just get me going again
I'll make some quadruped, it should be interesting! ;)
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

Olrox wrote: I'll make some quadruped, it should be interesting! ;)
Agreed

Got stuck in my rut again
so I started working on a new Cyborg
I might get some work done on the quadruped
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

This thread was mentioned in a recent Freegamer post and I wanted to share how amazing I find the idea of having mechs in the wz2100 game/engine. It totally fits the module-based unit construction and has a fresh look to it.

Is there a way to test the mechs in-game? Or were the in-game screenshots simply mockups? :)

If the authors want their mechs to be available to other projects as well, I would encourage uploading them to OpenGameArt (I have seen two artists contribute in this thread I think).
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

No, the screenshots are in-game. I just checked the package on the second page of this thread; it's a valid Warzone mod; just rename to .wz and go.

Alternatively, I've attached a pre-renamed version.
Attachments
mechsbyxanax.mod.wz
(34.63 KiB) Downloaded 930 times
nighthawk
Trained
Trained

Post by nighthawk »

i dont understand half of what is being said... i am probably the most hoples person in world on computers but the idea of mechs on warzone is AWESOME so if there is a mod yet i would be very happy to betta test it if it is still at that point and if it isnt someone please give it to me cause i am so infatuated with warzone.
"to prepare for disaster is to invite it"-unknown

"The Gravedigger"
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

That's a mod attached to Zarel's post. If you want to know how to install one, please refer to the "FAQ" section. Hmm, I can't quit being good-hearted: http://wz2100.net/faq#HowdoIinstallamod :)

Good luck with your computer ;)
nighthawk
Trained
Trained

Post by nighthawk »

thanks lol and it aint bad to be nice.... even if it dont get ya nowhere with people... but the people on wz seem cooler than others so keep it up
"to prepare for disaster is to invite it"-unknown

"The Gravedigger"
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

Have you ever considered replacing super cyborgs with mechs in the distant future?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

guciomir wrote:Have you ever considered replacing super cyborgs with mechs in the distant future?
Not in the past, but I suppose it could be a good idea.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Zarel wrote:
guciomir wrote:Have you ever considered replacing super cyborgs with mechs in the distant future?
Not in the past, but I suppose it could be a good idea.
Personally, I don't like it. Mechs are mechanical vehicles, cyborgs are robotic beings controlled directly via synaptic link, as a "second body", after all - for me it's a great difference. And I'd hate mechs that aren't customizable, more than I sincerely hate mechs with huge toy-looking cannons and missile launchers.

Is there any possibility of making a propulsion only fit a specific body, or make bodies that just allow specific propulsions? It's been a long time since we've discussed that, I don't know if there had any changes in that, or if you got more info by now.

That, allied to the possibility to create new factories, would allow us to start thinking about creating niches to mechs and even VTOL specific bodies.

There was this topic about a 4th factory type, but the creator's idea was to allow building scavengers at scavenger factories. Anyway, I think his question could be recycled for our own questions. Is it possible for a human being to make that?

Thanks in advance :)
~Olrox
poVoq
Rookie
Rookie

Post by poVoq »

Bump ;)

Are there any plans to continue this project?

And if not, what would be the license on these models in case someone would like to continue working on this? GPL like the rest of Warzone?

As a side note, would be cool if someone would make a colaboration project with Linwarrior ( http://www.hackcraft.de/games/linwarrior_3d/ ), for reuse of assets etc. sort of like Mech Commander and the Mechwarrior series did.