Mech Prototypes WIP

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
HEXUS
Trained
Trained

Re: Mech Prototypes WIP

Post by HEXUS »

Not trying to revive the thread or anything but where do I put the animation folders and such when I unzip one of the zips? Nomatter where I put it, nothing happens.
EDIT: If it helps, I put them in Mods, and when I run Skirmish or something, the game crashes with a C++ Runtime error, but if I play quick run or whatever it's called from tutorial menu, it runs fine, but without the mod.
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

poVoq wrote:Bump ;)

Are there any plans to continue this project?

And if not, what would be the license on these models in case someone would like to continue working on this? GPL like the rest of Warzone?

As a side note, would be cool if someone would make a colaboration project with Linwarrior ( http://www.hackcraft.de/games/linwarrior_3d/ ), for reuse of assets etc. sort of like Mech Commander and the Mechwarrior series did.
no, not really I've moved to a new retro based game http://www.datarealms.com/

CC0: People can do whatever they want to with your stuff, just state it was mine
it's welcome to anyone actually

reminds me of mechwarrior 2 :wink:
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

XANAX wrote:CC0: People can do whatever they want to with your stuff, just state it was mine
CC0 means "people can do whatever they want", if you want your name mentioned, you need CC-BY.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

cybersphinx wrote:means "people can do whatever they want", if you want your name mentioned, you need CC-BY.
Just to make sure nobody misunderstands that statement: We will of course always credit the original artist appropriately. And so would any other reputable group of developers, even if it is public domain (CC0). So the difference is not so big in practice.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

In addition, people cannot lie and say that they created it - they could, however, say that they don't know who created it.
xXPhoenixXx
Greenhorn

Post by xXPhoenixXx »

HEXUS wrote:EDIT: If it helps, I put them in Mods, and when I run Skirmish or something, the game crashes with a C++ Runtime error, but if I play quick run or whatever it's called from tutorial menu, it runs fine, but without the mod.
I'm having the exact same problem. I've put the mod into mods/multiplayer, made a new shortcut and added --mod=Mech_by_XANAPRIME.wz, (I've also tried mod_mp, but nothing worked) but everytime I try to play skirmish, it gives me this runtime error. Campaign and fast play runs fine, but
HEXUS wrote:without the mod.
Can someone help?

I've checked the stderr.txt and found this:

Code: Select all

info    |02:43:18: [SDL_main] mod_mp (mechsbyxanax.mod.wz) is enabled
error   |02:43:38: [resGetDataFromHash] resGetDataFromHash: Unknown ID: 29a5c69 Type: ANI
error   |02:43:38: [resGetDataFromHash] Assert in Warzone: ../../../../lib/framework/frameresource.c:553 (psRes != ((void *)0)), last script event: '<none>'
error   |02:43:38: [resGetData] resGetData: Unable to find data for mech_run.ani type ANI
error   |02:43:38: [resGetData] Assert in Warzone: ../../../../lib/framework/frameresource.c:569 (data != ((void *)0)), last script event: '<none>'
error   |02:43:38: [anim_SetVals] can't find anim mech_run.ani
error   |02:43:38: [anim_SetVals] Assert in Warzone: ../../../../lib/gamelib/anim.c:303 (0), last script event: '<none>'
fatal   |02:43:39: [loadBodyPropulsionIMDs] Invalid propulsion name Naval
Radiosity
Greenhorn

Post by Radiosity »

whippersnapper wrote:.
Don't wanna rain on anybody's parade... but here's the scoop....

WZ Mechs were done almost 8 years ago but never released because, while they looked neat as in-game screen caps, WZ's primitive
"animation" scheme made them look way, way, unsatisfactory when they walked. Just take a close look at walking cyborg legs and magnify.
The animation is still the same. Improvements to it are on the development road map but they are linch-pinned to the implementation of a new
GFX format dubbed ..wzm which you can read about HERE I'm gonna go out on the limb here and say that implementation of the .WZM format is not on the immediate horizon. Thus someone is left to dup the unsatisfactory results of some 8 years ago. (I know who did the original work and they are still around but I strongly doubt he will have changed his mind.... & that's assuming he didn't trash his source files years ago in disgust.)

'Course your mech art could still be used down the road if it is archived in the development repository as a future asset.

Regards, whipper :)
Are you perchance thinking of me (I would've been Dancing Moogle or possibly Chainsaw Monkey at the time)? Since I'm pretty sure I'm the only person from that timeframe who did anything with Mechs, and certainly they weren't anywhere near the level I would've liked but I was still pretty proud of how they turned out. I did all the animation using nothing more than pie slicer too :o Pain in the butt to animate frame by frame like that.

I've just posted all my old stuff in a new thread in this forum, my mechs are all in there somewhere if anyone wants to look at them, they weren't anything like the detail of the ones here (obviously, we were still working with a closed source game at the time) but I still have a strong attachment to how they looked :D

As for these models, I can only say that things have seriously moved on since I last looked at Warzone seriously lol Excellent looking stuff there.