Modeling Request - i do it!

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Re: Modeling Request - i do it!

Post by winsrp »

Hi Astorian,

I belive that the problem with size comes when you put 2 research facilities next to each other... i normaly put all 5 stacked up.

you have your 2x2 building and when you put your second research facility next to the first one and upgrade both of them, then you start having mixed polygons, and added to that, make a vehicle pass between those 2 builings and you have a visual mess with tanks getting inside and out of the buildings.

Another thing you must have in mind when doing this stuff, is that most upgrades are like addons to the current structures to keep the visuals. So you have the research facility for example, the main one has a square base, and the second one has the same base square, with some add ons. It would be nice for yours to have your first level in the same spot where it should go on your second level. So on your 2x2 square you would have your first level all moved to the right side of the base, and when the second level is upgraded, then the third cone shows up, leaving the first 2 cones in the same place... so it really looks like you are adding an add on, and not a whole new building.

So if you make your models fit in the actual base of 2x2, it would make it look a lot better and reduce most problems. Pack that into a mod, and ill install it right away since this looks way better than the standard buidling, and btw add the new wheels too replacing the current wheels into the mod. =D
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

winsrp wrote:Hi Astorian,

I belive that the problem with size comes when you put 2 research facilities next to each other... i normaly put all 5 stacked up.

you have your 2x2 building and when you put your second research facility next to the first one and upgrade both of them, then you start having mixed polygons, and added to that, make a vehicle pass between those 2 builings and you have a visual mess with tanks getting inside and out of the buildings.

Another thing you must have in mind when doing this stuff, is that most upgrades are like addons to the current structures to keep the visuals. So you have the research facility for example, the main one has a square base, and the second one has the same base square, with some add ons. It would be nice for yours to have your first level in the same spot where it should go on your second level. So on your 2x2 square you would have your first level all moved to the right side of the base, and when the second level is upgraded, then the third cone shows up, leaving the first 2 cones in the same place... so it really looks like you are adding an add on, and not a whole new building.

So if you make your models fit in the actual base of 2x2, it would make it look a lot better and reduce most problems. Pack that into a mod, and ill install it right away since this looks way better than the standard buidling, and btw add the new wheels too replacing the current wheels into the mod. =D
Hi winsrp,
Thank you for your reply.
My last test was actually very close (99%) to what you describe. Just one difference the building (standard and upgraded) was 3x3. The images i posted here where just to show the work i have done. People had different ideas about the attributes of the structures.
As i posted before, if someone wants them for a MOD i adjust the structures. So if you want to do the MOD i can edit the pie and txt files and post them here for you.

Best Regards,
Astorian
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well... I'm going to be honest to you, i like your buildings very much that YES, please put it in a mod, and not only that, i would like to see other of your work so you can put up a complete mod with a remake of all the buildings.

Changing the model to 3x3 is actually good no problem here, i don't know if its possible, but it would also be cool to have a 3 stage research facility? can it have 3 upgrades like the factory??? do you know how to do that?

Actually i would like to make a remake of dark reign type of buildings, can you make a test on those??? maybe, if you need pictures i can provide them to you =D.
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

winsrp wrote:well... I'm going to be honest to you, i like your buildings very much that YES, please put it in a mod, and not only that, i would like to see other of your work so you can put up a complete mod with a remake of all the buildings.
I am glad you like my work. Pictures of other buildings i have done are in this topic so look from the first page. If you like some of them i can texture them and create the pie files.
winsrp wrote: Changing the model to 3x3 is actually good no problem here, i don't know if its possible, but it would also be cool to have a 3 stage research facility? can it have 3 upgrades like the factory??? do you know how to do that?
The size 2x2 is sufficient i think, but if you want it 3x3 no problem - size is changed quickly. Well i don't think its possible to have 3 upgrades of the research building - that would need to change the code (i think) and i am not a coder. However, if you find a way i can model a third upgrade building.
winsrp wrote: Actually i would like to make a remake of dark reign type of buildings, can you make a test on those??? maybe, if you need pictures i can provide them to you =D.
Even i don't understand "dark reign type of building" i assume you want me to model entire structure model set.
I can do that but be aware that its going to take planing, time and hard work. If i am considering redoing all models, how would you contribute?
Don't take me wrong, doing a mod with 2 or 3 structures is not so hard and time consuming, but all of them needs serious concept thinking so that the building look like from one line and they shape represents their function.

Best Regards,
Astorian
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

astorian wrote:I am glad you like my work. Pictures of other buildings i have done are in this topic so look from the first page. If you like some of them i can texture them and create the pie files.
Actually I have and they look rather nice too, where you the one that did the round wheels too, i like that one insted of the normal wheel traction.
astorian wrote:The size 2x2 is sufficient i think, but if you want it 3x3 no problem - size is changed quickly. Well i don't think its possible to have 3 upgrades of the research building - that would need to change the code (i think) and i am not a coder. However, if you find a way i can model a third upgrade building.
To leave it as it is maybe 2x2 would be ok, since most maps are really tight right now and bigger buildings = more space needed.
astorian wrote:Even i don't understand "dark reign type of building" i assume you want me to model entire structure model set. I can do that but be aware that its going to take planing, time and hard work. If i am considering redoing all models, how would you contribute?
WOW... on the topic no-one said nothing about contributing.. :P , but to get serious, Dark Reign is another RTS game (older than Warzone), which had some really cool models but they were sprites. The buildings have several stages too, which fits perfectly into this game, but some of them have mostly 2, where the main base has 3. Its a matter of deciding which will fit best for this, but i can do that for you as the planning thing, and no one is in a hurry so there is time to spare.

I have this game, so i can provide you with all the images you might need.

Example of the command center

Example of other buildings

And some more buildings
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

So is there more to this than Astorian making Dark Reign 1 style models to replace stock WZ base structure models ?

Just curious if there was any .txt editing or GPM modding involved as well...

BTW - DR 1 was a terrific RTS game... much underated, imho.

Regards, whip :cool:

winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well I just loved that game... played it for years, many rts came but i always came back to dark reign, on the other hand another one I always came back was warzone 2100, so why not fuse both... incredible idea i know.

So lets start with the models of the bases, the thing is that Dark reign had 2 sides.. and warzone only has 1, so... i don't know if that can be added into this game by just scripting, or if some unit types can be added, as someone that morph like an enemy unit and can enter in buildings to steal tech or make maps with more vegetation and have a guy morph into a tree (like a hidden watch tower)... make a teleporter, the underground transporter, the earthquake wave unit, a self destructin unit, and the wortex, just some of the great features of dark reign.

Actually i think that the best feature that should be copied into warzone is the level editor, you could make huge great maps in minutes.

But anyway back on track, lets start with the buildings and lets see what can be done to it, and by the way, what can be done thru scripting?
thelion
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thelion »

I never played Dark Reign 1, but Dark Reign 2. The structures in Dark Reign 2 were handled very well, I remember.

Specifically, every building had a garage-type darkened hole from which units emerged, as if they were "exiting" the building instead of spawning near the building.

That would be very easy to do, with few polygons (five sides of cube), but adds very much to the gfx.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

winsrp wrote:..................... and by the way, what can be done thru scripting?
Lots of amazing stuff actually but the work involved is well beyond what most are inclined to do so why waste anyone's time getting into any details. If you wanna get a glimpse of the possibilities of WZ script.
run "v.1.12 Mod" or "A.I. Boost" or the first iteration of "AV" against the v.1.10(c) binary / data set and then study the source scripts to see how the stuff is accomplished.. After that, imagine there is even more, much more that is possible - including most of what you mentioned in your post can be done with WZ scripting.. ;)

Regards, whip :ninja:
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

i was wondering if it was possible to model this new chopper propulsion module.would be cool or something like this that resembles a hind. Image
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

Hello, i have lot to do in work now, but i get to work asap.
First i will do the size arrangements on the research building and upgraded research building sized 2x2 (- even i think Elio's models look much better than what i do) and post it here.

To: winsrp
Yes the topic did not say anything about contributing, but what you want me to do is remodel all buildings. I don't have problems helping people out with modeling or editing (+texturing) a model for them. But an entire structure set is something completely different.
So lets start with one building you like to have done. I would like to warn you thou i am not good at texturing so you may not like the end product.
Tenoh wrote:i was wondering if it was possible to model this new chopper propulsion module.would be cool or something like this that resembles a hind. Image
I am sorry i don't know what you mean, what new chopper propulsion module?

Best reagrds,
Astorian
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

ok one a the time sound good.

try to make the HQ as in this one

it has a triangular base, ill work on the screenshots from the game, since they seem screwed up.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

may i point toward that we need bodies at which you can attach multiple weapons. ;)
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

Damn, bloody thing isnt showing the primitive pic i made lol.I'll try to say with words.Ok this chopper propulsion connects to the body in the upper turret slot area,there you would place a small engine housing and from there you make choppers tail.
You can also add small wings from the upper engine section that lead away and down at some angle,lets say 45 degrees.I would add slots for light weapons under the wings like the minipods would be perfect and a small MG at the usual VTOL weapon slot.Well a heavy body would make an awesome gun ship with 3 light weapons as for light bodies one weapons slot should be enough.
Sorry if i am letting this get to my head lol,just think allot of ppl would love this.

edit: as for tanks.. make dragon a bit longer,raise midle section a bit for main turret.In 4 corners around it put 4 light weapon slots.Now thats a heavy tank for ya, just like that 5 turret soviet tank lol.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

elio wrote:may i point toward that we need bodies at which you can attach multiple weapons. ;)
Hello Elio, do you mean we should concentrate on building multi-weapon bodies generaly for WZ? Or do you mean something else? Sorry, eng is not my primary lang. and sometimes my brain is not compatible enough :)