Attn Artists, decal work done, but could use improvement

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
astorian
Trained
Trained

Re: Attention Artists, we need your help!

Post by astorian »

Hello to all. I would like to offer my help with this cool project.
I am a 3D modeler using blender. I enjoyed playing WZ in the past, so i would like to participate on this project.
Here are are some links to some work i done
http://www.redmod.sk/shippics/view.jpg
http://www.redmod.sk/shippics/side.jpg
or
http://www.redmod.sk/pic/BIOSHIP.jpg
http://www.redmod.sk/pic/bioship2.jpg
If you need to see more or test me by modeling something, be free to say so.

best regards,
Astorian
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Your modelling looks really nice, and you are more than welcome to contribute. Be aware, though, that our tool chain for artists is still rather difficult to work with. Don't be afraid to ask for directions if you are stuck ;)
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

The new terrain renderer really makes the game look a lot better but at the expense of making all the buildings and units look sick. I noticed rather early on that the buildings would look a lot better if they didn't have those big pixelated bases. So I proceeded to cut out any thing that I thought they didn't need. A lot of cutting later I decided they still didn't look quite right so I ended up redoing large sections basically from scratch mainly to make the color more consistent and to remove parts of shadows. Although the textures are the same resolution they where before they are much cleaner and simpler making them look better. Since I'm not very good at this kind of thing some one else can probably do a much nicer job than I did.
For those who don't know just put all the .png files in the folder texpages in the archive base.wz
I was going to include a screen shot showing all effected buildings but "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.".
Attachments
newBuildingbases.zip
(341.88 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

milo christiansen wrote:I was going to include a screen shot showing all effected buildings but "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.".
Feel free to use: http://orbitupload.com/ while we deal with the board attachment quota problem.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

This is the first time I ever tried to post a image and I can't seem to get the [img] tags to work right so hear is a link instead.
new building bases58.bmp
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

milo christiansen wrote:This is the first time I ever tried to post a image and I can't seem to get the [img] tags to work right so hear is a link instead.
new building bases58.bmp
That image reminds me of Dune 2... Oh, good times.

Generally, I think the plate-less baseplates look a lot better on urban than on arizone tilesets, where they look kinda weird. I am not entirely convinced that this is the way to go yet.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

milo christiansen wrote:This is the first time I ever tried to post a image and I can't seem to get the [img] tags to work right so hear is a link instead.
new building bases58.bmp
That looks a lot better. I like those baseplates a lot.

In the future, could you upload images in PNG format rather than BMP format? BMP format is larger and provides no advantages (which may be why they don't work with the [img] tags).
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

I will keep the png thing in mind and if you could tell me why you think they look weird in arizona I could try to fix that set.
thanks
- Demigod Game Ganual
pianofritz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pianofritz »

Are you aware that the e-mail address posted here for [email protected] is not valid? I keep getting any e-mail kicked back.
:mad;
pianofritz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pianofritz »

The main reason I was writing was to inquire if you were looking for additional original music.

Fritz Owens
Professional pianist, composer, photographer, teacher and keyboard recording artist for over 40 years in New Orleans - until Katrina.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

pianofritz wrote:Are you aware that the e-mail address posted here for [email protected] is not valid? I keep getting any e-mail kicked back.
:mad;
I blame Kamaze. The forum or IRC channel are generally better places to contact us, anyway.
pianofritz wrote:The main reason I was writing was to inquire if you were looking for additional original music.
Additional music would be greatly appreciated. Are you willing to license your music under at least CC-BY-SA-3.0 and preferably something more like CC-0?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

pianofritz wrote:The main reason I was writing was to inquire if you were looking for additional original music.

Fritz Owens
Professional pianist, composer, photographer, teacher and keyboard recording artist for over 40 years in New Orleans - until Katrina.
New music would be a plus. :) Basically, anything you can contribute to the project will help.

Check out some of the tunes people have made in this forum section:
viewforum.php?f=10
If you want, you can attach a sample of your work, and people will comment on what you have done.
Make sure to read this as well:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3074

Thanks again!
and it ends here.
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

128 per tile.. thats it? thought the new render took up to 2048?

and why only work on one image? i thought yould be working on each template as a whole that way the entire tile set sticks to a design theme.. theres not many tiles there after all.

as for the concrete blocks that make up the bottom of the building tile set.. they HAVE to be kept. simply put.. most the maps are of a sand base.. and buildings CANNOT be built on sand.. they need some sort of a stable base beneath them to build on.

not to mention the square base helps to visually place the building on the maps.

especially with the upgrades in the trunk builds where the ground is so well done that you can no longer tell easilly where the "squares" for the ground are any more... im hoping that they add some sort of "grid" that overlays the grounds squares when in build mode.. but thats a long unliky dream.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

DFStormbringer wrote:128 per tile.. thats it? thought the new render took up to 2048?

and why only work on one image? i thought yould be working on each template as a whole that way the entire tile set sticks to a design theme.. theres not many tiles there after all.

as for the concrete blocks that make up the bottom of the building tile set.. they HAVE to be kept. simply put.. most the maps are of a sand base.. and buildings CANNOT be built on sand.. they need some sort of a stable base beneath them to build on.

not to mention the square base helps to visually place the building on the maps.

especially with the upgrades in the trunk builds where the ground is so well done that you can no longer tell easilly where the "squares" for the ground are any more... im hoping that they add some sort of "grid" that overlays the grounds squares when in build mode.. but thats a long unliky dream.
Oh, it can... The current terrain textures are 2048x2048 I believe. The decals are 128x128, but there is no real reason they can't be bigger.
Why do you want a grid overlay, it would look like a board game?
and it ends here.
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

it doesent have to be dark.. just light enough to see the squares outlines so we can see where to line up our structures better. being all the ground tiles now blend in finally on the new trunk. first thing me and some friends noticed was knowing where we could and couldent build things.. became a bit of an annoyance in the heat of battle. and a very light green grid over where we could build and a very light transparent red grind over non build areas.. even if only while were in build mode.. would certainly help set up things in the heat of battle.

as for helping out with the tiles.. look into a program called genetica.. it will help out CONSIDERABLY for this situation.. even for pulling out normal.. bump and lighting maps for any textures made.. that is if those extra features ever get decided to be added.

im sorta hoping for real time lighting so we can get some night maps with headlights the vehicles