New Font

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
gerard_
Trained
Trained

New Font

Post by gerard_ »

Hey all,

I think it is better for the atmosphere in the game when we have our own font, instead of the plain and boring dejavu sans. I spent some time designing one, and I would like your comments on how suitable it would be for inclusion in warzone. I did not get around to make the uppercase letters yet, and it might need some general tweaking.

Regards,

Gerard
wz2100_shot_007.png
Attachments
FutureStencil.zip
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
zond
New user

Re: New Font

Post by zond »

I like it
alienkid10
Trained
Trained

Post by alienkid10 »

I don't know. Personally I think I was the only one who thought mono fit.
Kaldera
Trained
Trained

Post by Kaldera »

Nice. I love it.
How did you create this? Could you merge chars/signs from other fonts in, so nearly all languages are supported?
For example russian and chinese. It should be allowed with most free fonts, but i have no idea how to do this. Searching for some kind of a font merger brings only expensive commercial software.
Windows 7 RC / Athlon 64 X2 / NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

I would say that it looks too round, it makes me think "futuristic" but "futuristic" as in great empires where everyone is happy with one another. It doesn't look like something to suit a game where most of the world has just been destroyed and set into nuclear winter. It's too new.
Just my opinion :­)
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

Kaldera wrote:Nice. I love it.
How did you create this? Could you merge chars/signs from other fonts in, so nearly all languages are supported?
For example russian and chinese. It should be allowed with most free fonts, but i have no idea how to do this. Searching for some kind of a font merger brings only expensive commercial software.
I used Fontforge to create the font. Designing it from scratch took me about 20 hours. I think that adding the uppercase letters will take about 5 hours. Adding support for Dutch, German and French will maybe take 5 hours in total (I can do those). If you want to add Russian it might take 15 hours. For supporting Chinese I have absolutely no idea.

I find that it is easier to draw new letters from scratch than it is to modify them.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I am a bit conflicted about it. It does look neat, but almost too neat, like something out of a fantasy setting. All the letters have the same height, which makes the text very monotonous and hard to read. This may be solved by adding non-capitalized versions of the letters. I once hoped to use this http://pedroreina.net/apostrophiclab/00 ... pyval.html font for Warzone, but the license was bad. Perhaps you can take some inspiration from it?
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

test it.. IMHO it's hard to read ingame sometimes.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

It sucks as a text font. DejaVu Sans is much better.

As a menu font, it's... passable. I'll agree with the others that it's a bit too rounded for Warzone. I guess I still like DejaVu Sans Bold.
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

Zarel wrote:It sucks as a text font. DejaVu Sans is much better.

As a menu font, it's... passable. I'll agree with the others that it's a bit too rounded for Warzone. I guess I still like DejaVu Sans Bold.
I agree it needs quite some work to become easily readable at small sizes. The main reason I want a different font from DejaVu Sans Bold is that I'm looking at it the entire day (and with me a lot of other people). A different font will help people forget that they are running a computer program so they actually feel like they are waging a war in a post-nuclear landscape.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

You could try something like small caps? Futuristic fonts just don't fit Warzone well...
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

I like it as a menu font, and for headings.

However, at smaller sizes Deja Vu Sans works quite well.

Regards, Freddie.
Solaris
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Solaris »

I also agree with everyone. It looks great as a menu font but when you try to read it when the font gets small; well let's just say it's very hard. :D

Solaris
Freakyman
Trained
Trained

Post by Freakyman »

all i want for new font is the DejaVu Sans made SMALLER :D

but it is nice just not warzone like
Idanwin
Greenhorn

Post by Idanwin »

Why all so ... discouraging?
It looks very good, and could very well be used as a menu font, but I think it is indeed going to get ... unclair for smaller letters.