Terrain Textures

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: Terrain Textures

Post by MaNGusT »

nice! but.. but as always a question to devs... ^^
why does if a tile have a tile's decal enabled(as Jorzi makes) the tile edges become hard? can it be changed to new smoothed edges, as if a tile doesn't have a decal?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

What do you mean? I haven't noticed any changes in tile edges, do you have an example?
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

1. Had a look at urban. I like the pattern :D but think these decals should be made much softer. Probably not that black, but closer to the brown we have.

Urban is, imho, the most beautiful of the three. Also, its cliffs are the clearest of all. And there currently are not many urban maps affected by the fluffiness.

2. I also still have that question concerning arizona:
/me wrote:There are two horizontal cliff tiles (46 and 71), which are currently the same in your .wz file. Probably it is worth it to make them different (but still similar). Cause there isn't much difference, but it should add to the variety of long orthogonal cliffs (not sure if the FlaME's cliff brush places both of them, but still ...)
I'm so much worried because i feel it is unlikely that anything is changed after the initial commit.

3. Slightly off topic: There is currently another trouble with arizona. In 2.3, there were two sorts of yellow terrain: "sand" and "yellow", where "yellow" has black dots on it. In 3.1 by Mangust, these two are merged into a uniform yellow (in 3.1 by Gerard, a lot more was merged into uniform red). Mysteryem has already made a mod that separates these two, and it has a very nice texture. May i ask for this to be included as well? I'll try to dig up the link now.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote:What do you mean? I haven't noticed any changes in tile edges, do you have an example?
aarhhg^^ nothing, just tried your mod, smoothing is fine. Well, screenshots just show how low poly the maps are. :)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

NoQ wrote: In 3.1 by Mangust, these two are merged into a uniform yellow
:hmm: may be I'm blind, but for me they are clearly 2 different textures - red and yellow. May be because I use old 2048x2048 textures but colors are different.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

MaNGusT: That's not what i'm talking about. There is red and there are also two sorts of yellow in 2.3.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

NoQ wrote:MaNGusT: That's not what i'm talking about. There is red and there are also two sorts of yellow in 2.3.
well, Yeah, I just merged them up. There were clear sand and sand with some vegetation in 2.3. I think you want the clear sand texture back - not that hard to do.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yeah, here is the mod that separates them:
Mysteryem wrote:SandMod:
This is a rather simple mod which gives arizona sand a different texture to the sand with plants on it in 3.0 and master.
And the links are dead, as usual :?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Mysteryem wrote:Re-uploaded (also updated the links on my maps/mods thread to match)
Master: http://www.mediafire.com/?1gvm2vw4uusx2f7
3.0: http://www.mediafire.com/?fv5ro5sv9tsohht

Might need some changing since the other textures are smaller now, not sure.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

so.. what do we have new:
1)Mysteryem's additional sand texture for Arizona
2)My new/improved rock-earth texture for Rockies
3)Jorzi's cliff textures as tile's decals. work in progress.

I think it'll will an easiest solution for 3.1. :)

Edit: Just thought about that to allow map makers choose should cliff has a decal or not, would an awesome feature. ie cliff near terrain should have a decal but upper cliffs could not have a decal to look smoother and more varied.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

So we just need a tile that has cliff texture but doesn't have a decal. This is possible with mods too, i think. We can also enable or disable cliff decals globally via map-mods (just include *decals.txt inside the map).
MaNGusT wrote:1)Mysteryem's additional sand texture for Arizona
2)My new/improved rock-earth texture for Rockies
3)Jorzi's cliff textures as tile's decals. work in progress.
Ok (:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Here is a mod that includes all three: sand texture, rocky ground texture and cliff decals. Mysteryem's texture was scaled down to 512x512 (the size of all in-game textures in 3.1_beta7).
I also made cliff decals more transparent in this mod and liked it; no need to accept the way i made it, but i think that both urban and arizona cliff decals should be softer and more transparent. Screenshots with more transparent cliff decals attached.
Softer arizona decals ... still functional, and a bit less worm-like
Softer arizona decals ... still functional, and a bit less worm-like
I don't want too much black in this landscape ... probably needs to be even softer
I don't want too much black in this landscape ... probably needs to be even softer
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Looking good :)
If you noticed I changed the other straight arizona cliff a bit to make them different.

Maybe we should include my improved trees as well?
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Jorzi wrote:Maybe we should include my improved trees as well?
And my axe
And also scavenger icecream van
As well as most of the artrev
Good idea (:
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Sweet. :D

Integrated into my new map / mod / Macinima project.

Much appreciated. :3

~ Regards, RV.:hm: