Terrain Textures

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Re: Terrain Textures

Post by cnceo »

Hi, not sure if this thread is still active, but I'm looking for some advice.

I got redirect from viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6836&start=45 because when working on terrain decals, I observed a chopped border arround some textures, which appears to result from "fixing" and issue with texture bleeding and seams with high-res textures (>=1024).

Is there a conventient way around this? A quick fix is to just rescale the textures with transparent borders to make them slightly smaller. Or is it worth to wait for a patch on this?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

So I'm not sure how some of the tiles didn't get properly rescaled, but it works like this:
The current tile system uses manual mipmapping. This means that each mipmap of each tile is a separate image. The smallest mipmap is 16x16 and I assume this tile has exactly one pixel of border cutoff to allow for seamless border interpolation. This means that the equivalent border cutoff for the full size 128x128 tile is 8 pixels (this might need further experimentation to find the right value). Anyway, the tool with which the original tile pages were converted can be found here.
Also, some more discussion here
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

Jorzi: Okay, thanks for the information! So if I understand you correct the way to deal with this is to leave a 8(4,2,1) pixel border around your tiles. I guess that some of the textures in 3.1 just don't have the correct border and need to be rescaled a little bit.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Concerning a patch.

I think we simply do not need 16x16 textures nowadays, our graphics are better than that. How about we throw away low-res decals and make only one pixel instead of eight cut off from a 128x128 texture?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

We should probably do away with the manual mipmap generation. It does not buy us much, and just makes life harder for artists, I think.
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

Per wrote:We should probably do away with the manual mipmap generation. It does not buy us much, and just makes life harder for artists, I think.
Do I understand it correctly, that this ticket: http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/1537 is concerning the same problem? What would change with non-manual mipmapping? Does this also effect the textures on units and models, or just the terrain tiles and decals?

I'm just asking to know what to do when making new textures/models etc..
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

All that would change without manual mipmapping is that you don't need to generate lower-res versions of the decal textures (the stuff that is inside data/base/texpages/tertilesc[1-3]hw-[64,32,16]/). For all other textures nothing would change, because they already have automatic mipmap generation.
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

Ah, I see. That would be fantastic!
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

While I'm here and have enough free time, I want to say that I've got a second pc from my old trash hardware and unexpectedly it's launched the ancient texture generator I used to make those new terrain textures. My main pc doesn't want to run it idk why, likely because of cpu and its instructions, all the tests point to it.
To tell the long story short, are there any suggestions to improve any of those textures I made? :)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I think somebody complained that urban textures look a bit like crocodile skin or something like that... On the other hand, i'm in awe of their color scheme.

The off-topic here is that, first, we really need a wysiwyg map editor to freely use the textures, doing stuff like [1] [2] [3] easily (and also easily mixing textures from different tilesets), and, secondly, our cliff decals are not really very good the way we did them (but i guess a different technique is required for this issue).
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Ic.. About cliffs, My opinion is that we use them the right way they should be used in rts game, but, well, terrain looks to clean and flat, just not enough details. Btw, cliffs could be improved by: 1st - normal maps(tangent-space ofc), 2nd - free-space positioned features, I mean, map makers should be able to rotate and position the features like stones etc. as they wish,i.e. place 'em on the cliffs. This could add the cliffs more details and a bit more realistic view.
Yome--
Trained
Trained

Post by Yome-- »

Hi,

Following my post, here my Arizona Texture used in Ymod-0.2.0.

Some tweaks are on going.

Comments are welcome =^.^=
Attachments
_demo-01-textures.jpg
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Maybe we should collect terrain textures in a single fancy place, like on a wiki page. Map authors who enjoy custom tilesets could appreciate it.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

NoQ wrote:Maybe we should collect terrain textures in a single fancy place, like on a wiki page. Map authors who enjoy custom tilesets could appreciate it.
Lots work but be my guest Noq
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

NoQ wrote: 26 Feb 2017, 02:44 Maybe we should collect terrain textures in a single fancy place, like on a wiki page. Map authors who enjoy custom tilesets could appreciate it.
I like this idea. Also textures of units and buildings
The first time I saw this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KgJJRk36fc

If a little more fog. Just not like here of course. Generally it will be super.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4yf7A1LtGc