Terrain Textures

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
crass
Trained
Trained

Re: Terrain Textures

Post by crass »

Jorzi wrote:Arizona cliff tiles are now rotationally seamless. Some work could still be done on reducing the tile effect (there are two straight and two bend tiles and right now both are the same) but It's already pretty nice, the underlying texture gives the cliffs variety.
amazing work! much better than what we have now!
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I know there is a lot of work gone into this new decal method but it looks like we are heading back to the old days of 2.3 and tiling the cliffs the same way.
Just my idea on this and I was watching the thread and waiting to see how it panned out and the cliffs look like worms snaking across the terrain.
No I have no alternative that fixed the overlay of passable terrain issue but I feel its a backward step with decals as they are only tiles anyway and we are going back to tile method.
Don't get annoyed just my opinion.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Well, we need a simple solution for 3.1, and a good solution for later, and those are probably not the same.
We want information... information... information.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Jorzi wrote:Arizona cliff tiles are now rotationally seamless. Some work could still be done on reducing the tile effect (there are two straight and two bend tiles and right now both are the same) but It's already pretty nice, the underlying texture gives the cliffs variety.
crass wrote:amazing work! much better than what we have now!
+1

It works well now. Regardless of when it was invented. And it doesn't handicap the future. Win-win. :)

NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Berg: We need to give an option for map makers to decide wether they want cliff decals enabled or not. Right now they can easily change it globally via map-mods. This will make the original 3.1 renderer survive for a little longer.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Honestly I was thinking something a bit along the lines of what berg said, however, at least these textures have the benefit of being tranparent overlays on a non-tiling texture.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

As already mentioned early on here, if the striations are vertical instead of sedementary horizontal, then the waveform, wormy appearance, would be nullified - all else being equal. :3

~ Arrivederci, RV. :cool:

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

True, but my goal was to try and make the arizona tileset more arizona-like...
I've never been to arizona of course, but what most sigtseeing photos show can very well be described as "wormy" :P
ImageImage
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Jorzi wrote:True, but my goal was to try and make the arizona tileset more arizona-like...
I've never been to arizona of course, but what most sigtseeing photos show can very well be described as "wormy" :P
I agree. I have spent a lot of time in Arizona, seen formations like this.... the Grand Canyon being the most famous. But what the terrain renderer does with the smooth curving of the horizontal sedementary striations (on the vertical axis) is extremely rare in the RL geography - making vertical curves.

What you see, even in most photos, is that horizontal striations run straight and parallel for scores of miles, as far as the eye can see, without a single curve on the vertical axis...... all the curving is on the horizontal axis and is indeed serpentine, or worm-like, because it was cut-out by meandering river erosion over eons.

The new terrain render cannot depict that.....flat-out can't do it. Neither could the old renderer which is why Pumpkin artists went with the vertical striations even though that is NOT how Arizona cliff looks like.. And believe me, they all saw photos of the actual Arizona cliff. It was an aesthetic compromise over reality (poetic licence, if you will) that worked because there are RL vertical striated cliffs all over the world - just not much at all in Arizona.

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

true...
Oh well gotta make do with what there is.

I'm currently doing a more generic blasted cliff for the urban tileset ;)
ImageImage
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Jorzi wrote:true...
Oh well gotta make do with what there is.

I'm currently doing a more generic blasted cliff for the urban tileset ;)
Indeed.

Better than before. Solves the problem of not always being able to tell at a glance the demarcation between passable and not. Actually, it's the best WZ Arizona landscape in 13 years. What more can you say. :)

Blasted cliff next...look forward to seeing how you tackle it. :3

vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

This is what cliffs look like on another RTS
cliff.JPG
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

Wow...
Last edited by Giani on 26 Jun 2012, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

vexed wrote:This is what cliffs look like on another RTS
I think this will help new textures look like image you've posted, imo; maybe it will not make a huge effect because of poor geometry of wz's maps but... who knows. :)

Edit: Oh,and your image has tons of bump mapping :wink:, probably normal mapping.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

The new urban decals are black-and-transparent only, not as distinctive as the arizona ones, but making better use of the underlying texture ;)

Edit: also @vexed: what game is that, it's obviously not heightmap-based and I would have guessed it was an fps
Attachments
cliff_urban.jpg
decals_v0.1.wz
(299.04 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
ImageImage