Terrain Textures

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: Terrain Textures

Post by MaNGusT »

Crymson wrote:Textures look good, but what is with all the crazy icons on the minimap and the other issues with the wrong icons on top of the screen? O_o
nevermind, Don't pay attention. it happened because I use old trunk data and new trunk exe. ))
cybersphinx wrote:Most look good, but imo the stones in the first image are too regular for what I guess is supposed to be more or less natural terrain, and not someone's nicely groomed garden.
This stones are rubble, I don't know how to make them look more nicely :( - I will try to dilute them by a dust texture.
About the grass texture, may be I should add a few stones to it?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Very nice work on the tiles, also very true to the original :)
But I must agree about the rocks/rubble looking like a garden path :P
More dust is propably a good idea, and try to make them vary more in size, most of them should be small stuff and dust with some bigger pieces here and there
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

MaNGusT wrote:This stones are rubble, I don't know how to make them look more nicely :(
I'd try two things: a. put some stuff (dirt/grass/...) between the stones, so their arrangement doesn't look so... arranged. And b. make the stones themselves differ more, like e.g. putting cracks in some.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I like variant 2 best :wink:
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote:I like variant 2 best :wink:
I like it too. some adjustments and it will fit the warzone's gamma. :)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Square
Trained
Trained

Post by Square »

I do love you! :3
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Don't we all? :P
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Square wrote:I do love you! :3
Jorzi wrote:Don't we all? :P
thx guys. :)

does somebody have suggestions,comments about the textures and patch in the ticket?
Has somebody tried it?
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

MaNGusT wrote: does somebody have suggestions,comments about the textures and patch in the ticket?
Has somebody tried it?
Haven't tried it yet. :(
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Windows installer and tarball [edit: and Mac build] to test the new textures (trunk r11370 plus the crushed textures and my patch from #2013 minus the unused older terrain textures): https://sourceforge.net/projects/warzon ... %20Builds/
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

cybersphinx wrote:Windows installer and tarball to test the new textures (trunk r11370 plus the crushed textures and my patch from #2013 minus the unused older terrain textures): https://sourceforge.net/projects/warzon ... %20Builds/
Oh, Thank you very much. :)

In the next step to the terrain improvements I will remake the terrain decals. And I need some code changes again (
at this moment decals has 32x32 size when zoomed out and 128x128 when zoomed in.(64x64 size - middle zoom)
I need these sizes for the High qulity settings:
128x128 - min zoom
256x256 - middle
512x512 - max

I've already tried to make some decals but when I replace texture with 128 size by 512, in game I see only a part of the texture -the texture size doesn't fit to the tile size.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

MaNGusT wrote:I need these sizes for the High qulity settings:
128x128 - min zoom
256x256 - middle
512x512 - max
Are you sure that's needed? The current 128 pixel tiles are 64 pixels upscaled, so if you make new ones, you get double resolution for free, so to speak. And I at least usually don't zoom in so much that a tile would need to be more than 128 pixels wide. A short test on 1600x1200 shows that to get a tile larger than 128 pixels would need to zoom in that not much more than 4 factories fit on the screen - are those zoomlevels actually used enough to justify the needed code changes and increase in file sizes?
Edit: And at maximum zoom, a tile is ~256 pixels wide. So I don't see a need for 512 at all, and not much for 256 either.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

cybersphinx wrote:Are you sure that's needed? The current 128 pixel tiles are 64 pixels upscaled
I don't know that, thx.
And at maximum zoom, a tile is ~256 pixels wide. So I don't see a need for 512 at all, and not much for 256 either.
ok, 512 was a mistake but also I tried to replace an old 128x128 decal by a new one 128x128 and in the game with standard zoom it looks blurred while the all new terrain textures in the background look good, so now I believe that I need: 64,128,256 sizes for the decals.

P.S. My monitor supports only 1280x1024 resolution max, so... :(