Terrain Textures

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: Terrain Textures

Post by MaNGusT »

Mysteryem wrote:I have plans to change this system in the future to use individual tiles instead of tiletypes.
There is no need to do that.
So every tile with the red 'red brush' tiletype uses a single texpage.
That was the main idea when gerard decided to write the new terrain engine. Now we can use one big texture with a various details instead of using many small tiles of the same type. :)

The only problem we have now is that we can't rotate terrain textures(and there is no solution how to fix that). That is why I try to make textures that will look good from the all views.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

MaNGusT wrote:
Mysteryem wrote:I have plans to change this system in the future to use individual tiles instead of tiletypes.
There is no need to do that.
So every tile with the red 'red brush' tiletype uses a single texpage.
That was the main idea when gerard decided to write the new terrain engine. Now we can use one big texture with a various details instead of using many small tiles of the same type. :)

The only problem we have now is that we can't rotate terrain textures(and there is no solution how to fix that). That is why I try to make textures that will look good from the all views.
What I'm trying to acieve here is to have more variation in texture since quite a few different tiles share the same tile type.

It will still use one big texture with various details, but which big texture will be decided by the individual tile instead of the tiletype. If all goes to plan it will also be a lot easier for modders to change the textures used.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Mysteryem wrote:It will still use one big texture with various details, but which big texture will be decided by the individual tile instead of the tiletype.
I can do it by myself already. it's very easy. but if we are going to add a new textures to the each terrain type, we should ask the community(qualified mapmakers) about what kind of terrain should be add to the each terrain type.

anyway, it will not add so much details to the terrain without new "features" objects and especially THIS.
Square
Trained
Trained

Post by Square »

Looooooovin' it :)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Urban terrain is almost completed. :)
I need something to do with "green" texture because it doesn't look like original. :(

P.S. Question to devs. - what bit depth should I choose for the textures when I will be ready to create a ticket? 8bit or indexed colors? sometimes, when I change colors from 8bit to indexed, some "artifacts" appear. I mean, some pixels on textures change its colors from blue to green, for example, but sometimes it doesn't happen. :?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

IMHO, just use whatever keeps quality better.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Per wrote:IMHO, just use whatever keeps quality better.
ok. I choose 8 bit but it can be changed to indexed later, to lower the size. :)
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

MaNGusT wrote:
Per wrote:IMHO, just use whatever keeps quality better.
ok. I choose 8 bit but it can be changed to indexed later, to lower the size. :)
Choose whatever makes them look the best and afterwards I will turn my png crusher loose on them. :twisted: (It makes pngs smaller without changing them optically)
User:dak180
Keeper of the Mac Builds
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

dak180 wrote:Choose whatever makes them look the best and afterwards I will turn my png crusher loose on them. :twisted: (It makes pngs smaller without changing them optically)
This is misguided, unless it is done before the first commit.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

It is also as annoying as heck if done repeatedly during development.
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

Crymson wrote:... unless it is done before the first commit.
That is generally the way I prefer to do it.
User:dak180
Keeper of the Mac Builds
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Textures look good, but what is with all the crazy icons on the minimap and the other issues with the wrong icons on top of the screen? O_o
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Most look good, but imo the stones in the first image are too regular for what I guess is supposed to be more or less natural terrain, and not someone's nicely groomed garden.