Regular

Re: Terrain Textures

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Looking great guys! :D
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

NoQ wrote:So we just need a tile that has cliff texture but doesn't have a decal. This is possible with mods too, i think. We can also enable or disable cliff decals globally via map-mods (just include *decals.txt inside the map).
No, I mean that map maker could be able to create maps where cliffs will have decals or not in the same time. tiles could have some kind of special marker for decals.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Mangust: That was just what NoQ was trying to say ;) except that instead of having a marker for decals, there would be a marker for not having decals, preserving backwards compatibility.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote:@Mangust: That was just what NoQ was trying to say ;) except that instead of having a marker for decals, there would be a marker for not having decals, preserving backwards compatibility.
On one map?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yeah, on one map, and to do that,
we just need a tile that has cliff texture but doesn't have a decal.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Rockies gonna be hard. There are:
  • Diagonal half-tile
    • 9 Snowy at wide side
    • 18 rocky
    • 42 snowy at narrow side
    • 45 rocky
    • 63 very snowy at wide side
    If we rely on snowiness of the underlying terrain, we still need two diagonal half-tiles.
  • Straight full tile
    • 29 snowy at one side
    • 44 snowy at both sides
    • 46 rocky
    • 61 icecap 1/2-tile crisp
    • 68 very snowy at one side
    • 71 rocky
    • 76 icecap 1/2-tile smooth
    • 78 very snowy at one side, snowy at the other side
    Icecaps are completely different from other tiles of that sort; they might deserve an extra decal. They are sort of half-tiles, but straight.
  • Diagonal full tile
    • 30 rocky
    • 54 icecap 1/4-tile
    • 69 snowy
    • 77 icecap 3/4-tile
Pic.1: Sk-Mountain

I suggest not bothering about snowiness, but still bothering about icecaps. This boils down to:
  • Diagonal 1/4-tile.
  • Diagonal half-tile (2x, narrow on top and narrow on bottom)
  • Diagonal 3/4-tile.
  • Straight full tile (2x, to make straight cliffs varied)
  • Straight 1/2-tile (2x, smooth and crisp)
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

What about simply making 3 types of snow tile decals that can be blended in by the engine - light snow, spotty snow, and thick snow? Each tile could contain a transparent layer so that the tile underneath could show through, perhaps?

Or am I missing how the engine works (since I thought we already did this for road, track and craters)?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yeah, that's what i'm refering to as "relying on snowiness of the underlying terrain".
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

A certain amount of attention is to be given to top and bottom seamless connections of the cliffs. Icecaps shouldn't be horizontally seamlessly connected to regular cliffs, but need to be vertically. Probably snowy orthogonal cliffs and snowy at wide side diagonal halves can be made more transparent at snowy sides :hmm:

Sorry, but talking is the best thing i can do for this thread :oops:
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

I bet I can come up with something in GIMP. Texture sizes need to be 2048x2048 each, right?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

For cliff decals the resolution is only 128x128 per tile (any way to increase this?), although you probably want to work in a higher resolution like 512x512 or something (doesn't even have to be power-of-two) and then downscale and add borders as a final postprocessing effect.
ImageImage
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yeah, smooth terrain textures are currently 512x512 (probably 1024x1024 in master, but 512x512 in 3.1 beta releases, to save size), and decals are 128x128, but smooth textures are stretched over more than one tile, so this is sort of fair.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

It is possible to do rockies the easy way, having only three sorts of tiles (half-diagonal, full straight (maybe two of them), full diagonal). In this case, tile 54 (1/4 cliff icecap) will be half-diagonal, while tile 77 will be full-diagonal, and it will look good.

Also, i just tried taking the decals of urban into rockies. Didn't really like it :hmm: Well, doesn't look bad, but doesn't solve the issue either.
Attachments
wz2100-20120424_093935-Polarity-T1.jpg
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Jorzi wrote:The new urban decals are black-and-transparent only, not as distinctive as the arizona ones, but making better use of the underlying texture ;)

Edit: also @vexed: what game is that, it's obviously not heightmap-based and I would have guessed it was an fps
Sorry for the delayed response, was busy. :stressed:
That was Dawn Of War II.

Excellent work so far!
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Dawn of war 2 is more of a squad-rpg with rts elements, requiring highly customized landscapes for the campaign while making the map editor somewhat inflexible. Not sure how much of it is applicable for warzone.
@NoQ: Unfortunately my free time is exremely limited for the moment, but I can send you the source files if you want.
ImageImage