Re: Terrain Textures

Post by MaNGusT »

cliffs
cliffs
tiles and dirt
tiles and dirt
green
green
Last edited by MaNGusT on 29 Mar 2010, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Zarax
Trained
Trained

Post by Zarax »

2nd and 3rd one are good but the first one imho looks a bit too regular with the white spots, almost as if somebody spilled paint over the rocks.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

IMO, the cliffs are good, but the rocky ground could be made to look more different when you're working with it. The white spots could be more disperse, maybe making some white noise around them could be good. The grass would be better in the same tone as the original textures (this one is looking more like fungus than grass :P ).

But you're getting much better at it, keep up the good work!

~Olrox

EDIT:
Here are some nice pics, and shows some vegetation from the Canadian Rockies:
The tone of green I think would be the best is the one clearly visible in the second pic :wink:
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Here is the original tone of green :)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

MaNGusT wrote:Here is the original tone of green :)
Yeah, I know, it is much darker than what we see on the pics I've attached. I think it would be better than the tone you've used, but the tone on the pics would be even best. If you blend the tone on the original and on the pics, you'll probably get a really good tone, I think.

~Olrox
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

"snow-rock" - variant 1
"snow-rock" - variant 1
variant 2
variant 2
green
green
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hmm, I think that this may very well not be possible because of the renderer, but grassy areas should have a more sharp contour (grass is always over the soil, and ends usually with some smaller and smaller spots - but those are still sharp). Anyway, this green is nice, I think that it could be only a little bit darker!

Snow+Rocks variant 2 looks better to me for one reason - in Variant 1, the rocks spots are blurry, it looks like they are burnt areas. I know, burnt snow - not likely to happen on earth - but still looks like that for me :P

Nice work :D

~Olrox
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Mmmmm absolutely lovely textures 8) . I also agree bout variant 2. But I hope that the cliff face texture pictured in the grass screenshot is only for "the rockies" (because it looks to me to be implemented in "arizona" also)
because i liked the more red-ish cracked version of it from trunk or perhaps kinda like variant 2 of the cliff faces for "arizona" with some highlights of grey :)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I don't use one cliffs texture for "Arizona" and "the rockies" terrain type. All textures that I made are different.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

MaNGusT wrote:I don't use one cliffs texture for "Arizona" and "the rockies" terrain type. All textures that I made are different.
kk gr8 thanks

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I finally got round to recompiling the new version of trunk and the textures are AWSOME :shock: , However I think the water is a tad bit to clear. Maybe making it 15% murky would look better.

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

macuser wrote:I finally got round to recompiling the new version of trunk and the textures are AWSOME :shock: , However I think the water is a tad bit to clear. Maybe making it 15% murky would look better.
Where did you get the textures? (Olrox has a bit old variants of the textures)
They are shown correctly only with the special build that I-Nod has compiled for me.(that includes my patch) :)

about water:
It's too hard to make it looks good because hardcoded animation that is used to drawing water isn't smooth. Also, to make water looks more realistic I need extra texture that will be drawing near shore. (foam)
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

A few ofthe ones that have been discussed here were in the trunk it seems :) and even though the water looked too clear it looked VERY realistic.

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

macuser wrote:A few ofthe ones that have been discussed here were in the trunk it seems :) and even though the water looked too clear it looked VERY realistic.

-regards macuser
No new textures in the trunk directory. You are talking about the old trunk textures. :)

very realistic? are you sure? do you ever play modern rts games like CNC4, RA3 etc. ? IMHO current water animation is ugly. :(

It is not necessary to underestimate a lath of quality.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

yes I was talking about the trunk water. And yes, compared to the water in 2.3, the trunk water IS very realistic - just needs to be a bit more murky.

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage