NEW STRUCTURE MODELS

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: NEW STRUCTURE MODELS

Post by Olrox »

whippersnapper wrote: *whipper steps down from his rickety soap-box.* ;)

Regards, whip :ninja:
Hahahahahaha
What can I say?
My humble gratitude for not being alone in my artistic methods, and
:rolleyes:
"My humble lol" for that finishing!
xD
astorian wrote: I can help you with the UV mapping and exporting a pie for game if you want. I just need the model in 3ds or obj or other format than pie (blender would be cool)
I can import/export only WZ pie files thats why i need your model for UV mapping in something else i can open/import to blender. I can export UV layout picture you can use to create the desired texture and finally make a pie for WZ.
That's absolutely wonderful. I'm only afraid that I must request that you group the adjacent faces (not all, just, let's say, all the faces of a wall or arch into a continuous course in the map) in the UV mapping (Elio sent me a UV layout pic where there were pratically no adjacent faces. I wonder if it is possible, because of the limited size of the texture files), do you think it is possible?

Anyway, I can add details through a method I'm thinking about right now, even if the UV mapping have the faces completely scattered :ninja:

I was sending .3ds files to Elio (I have AutoCAD, so the .3ds exporter is integrated, it's much more reliable than using external exporters), is it a good format?

Send me a PM with any further details (if there are any) on the format of files you want me to send you, and your e-mail so I can send them to you!

Regards,
Fabian
eyestrain92
Trained
Trained

Post by eyestrain92 »

I think your factory is the only new model I actually approve of, simply because it's in the styling of the rest of the game.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

eyestrain92 wrote:I think your factory is the only new model I actually approve of, simply because it's in the styling of the rest of the game.
Well, we could spend quite some time discussing the "styling of the rest of the game", but yet, this topic is intended for the development of a mod, therefore I can welcome suggestions, and I do appreciate good, well-based suggestions.
I mean, how do you think I can improve the other models? Do the other members of the community agree with the way you think? What do you mean exactly with "the styling of the rest of the game"? In the other models, what characteristics you dislike?
These are questions whose answers would bring improvements to the work I do, then I would appreciate it if you could give me answers to them.

Excuse me if what I say sounds rude, I think my English is not of the best kind, but I do what is possible to express, with due integrity, all my ideas and questions.
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

Olrox wrote: That's absolutely wonderful. I'm only afraid that I must request that you group the adjacent faces (not all, just, let's say, all the faces of a wall or arch into a continuous course in the map) in the UV mapping (Elio sent me a UV layout pic where there were pratically no adjacent faces. I wonder if it is possible, because of the limited size of the texture files), do you think it is possible?

Anyway, I can add details through a method I'm thinking about right now, even if the UV mapping have the faces completely scattered :ninja:

I was sending .3ds files to Elio (I have AutoCAD, so the .3ds exporter is integrated, it's much more reliable than using external exporters), is it a good format?

Send me a PM with any further details (if there are any) on the format of files you want me to send you, and your e-mail so I can send them to you!

Regards,
Fabian
Hi, i try to send you a PM but it looks like its not really leaving outbox. 3ds is fine, send it to [email protected]
Astorian
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

astorian wrote: Hi, i try to send you a PM but it looks like its not really leaving outbox. 3ds is fine, send it to [email protected]
Astorian
I've received the PM, I recall having the same feeling when sending PMs (the feeling that the message was not sent) :D

I'll send the .3ds I've got already right away.

Regards,
Olrox
eyestrain92
Trained
Trained

Post by eyestrain92 »

I'm not sure of the look of your other base materials, didn't see them, maybe I skipped them, only skimmed this thread due to size.

I'm trying to say I like the way the factory looks because most mods\new buildings\textures people are using just don't fit in with the standard game resources. Your factory, however, does. It still looks like a part of warzone as opposed to either fan-service or a third-party mod. Obtaining that look while updating game models seems to appease everyone, myself included.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Ugh...I'd seriously prefer to keep anything resembling Command & Conquer out of Warzone 2100.

Passionately hate that overrated game.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Kacen wrote:Ugh...I'd seriously prefer to keep anything resembling Command & Conquer out of Warzone 2100.

Passionately hate that overrated game.
Oh my, do you mean exactly "Command & Conquer", the first game in the series, from 1995?
Or are you referring to the entire series, that's going to complete 15 years, as a single game? That would be just rude.

However, yet another post that isn't very useful for the purpose of this mod, it doesn't say anything about any of my models, and you didn't say what are the features of what Command & Conquer you were referring to, (there are more than 6 games in the series, most of them with expansions, there's even a First Person Shooter :suprised: ) that you dislike.

Again, I do not mean to be rude, I just want you to tell me what you really got in mind. :D
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

eyestrain92 wrote:I'm not sure of the look of your other base materials, didn't see them, maybe I skipped them, only skimmed this thread due to size.

I'm trying to say I like the way the factory looks because most mods\new buildings\textures people are using just don't fit in with the standard game resources. Your factory, however, does. It still looks like a part of warzone as opposed to either fan-service or a third-party mod. Obtaining that look while updating game models seems to appease everyone, myself included.
Well, looking at the last 3-4 pages for images (all of my versions have images) should be enough. I've lost more than half of my work due to HD issues, so I had to start from scratch.

However, we are going to have some serious improvements to my models when I finally get them textured
<Enters his Truck Viper Wheels and waves goodbye at who's staying at HQ>
To work, now! ;)
Last edited by Olrox on 12 Jan 2011, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Well, it was a hell of a week, my guild in WoW was stolen about 3,000k worth in rare and epic items because some moderator accidentaly promoted a lvl 70 guy one more rank, to Moderator, and the son of a bitch did not hesitate to steal everything he could from our 4-tabs Guild Vault, in which we just deposited rare and epic items...

But anyway, I'm already filling it up again, the guy was already humiliated publicly on the forums, half of the server knows his name now, so I think it's already time to forget it.

About my models, I'm really sad to say that I won't get further into modding wz2100 :| . That's right, messing around with the file formats and adequating everything to work inside the game seems too much work for me, because I've got my own projects to work with, and It's been about a year since I've last played wz, I was just thinking about my models for the people who still like playing.

However, I'll still make my models, and post the .3ds files here, so anyone can continue the work from where I stopped (First I'll get them under Creative Commons License, of course, but anyone can edit them and use freely as long as they share their work and give me credit as well). By all means, I really wish that someone who likes my work gets interested in making a Mod with it.

Also, I'll always be available to do any additional graphical work if I'm requested (for example, if someone wants me to make textures, I'll do as long as I have the texture map layout).

Anyway, I think I'll create a new topic to publish the models, because I think it's a bit scary to enter a 11-page topic just to see the models. This topic is very old and there's have been many changes in it's whole development (the content on the last 4 pages is very, very different from the content of the first pages).

That's it, I'm sorry if I've disappointed anyone, but again, I hope someone who likes my models gets interested to continue it. And yet again I say that I'm available to do any graphical work.
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

Olrox wrote: About my models, I'm really sad to say that I won't get further into modding wz2100 :| . That's right, messing around with the file formats and adequating everything to work inside the game seems too much work for me, because I've got my own projects to work with, and It's been about a year since I've last played wz, I was just thinking about my models for the people who still like playing.
I am sorry to hear that Orlox, your work was promising. Wish you luck on your other projects.
Best Regards,
Astorian
zamaszysty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zamaszysty »

I have a simple question here:

Is there any way to modify the game so instead of building everything all over again when upgrading the animation would only "grow new elements" to the building ? The easiest way to do that is by making OLD model (not upgraded) not disappear when the guilding process is starting, but after its finished ... since "the old one" in the new model will be identical as one of those elements for the player it would be looking as if there were only new parts growing to "join" those already existing, and this is i think the best way to make upgrades look. At least when it comes to factories researches and power stations as they look now ... in some custom models there is a condition that there is no place where building model is wider on the top than on the bottom ( you can of course immagine why ;) )

Just an idea You know ;) ...
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

zamaszysty wrote: Just an idea You know ;) ...
Hey, hope you're still around.

I'm away from the forums for some time now, but I do care about my old assets, and maybe I'll get back to them sometime.

AFAIK, buidlings can be composed of multiple meshes, actually all of them are like that already - we have baseplates, and the buidling itself. The baseplate isn't changed when the building is upgraded, I don't know how the code behave about it since the farthest I've gone with modding was with units. That gives us a hint that it could probably be coded so that only some of the meshes of the new building (a new model, but with separated meshes, one for the first stage - identical to the unimproved structure - and another for the additional parts, that is, the upgrade itself) are altered or "inflated" during the upgrade.

This way, only the upgrade would be added to the structure, but we still have a little would-be issue: it would, as the animation currently is, grow from the ground, which could be undesirable in some cases (upgrades that are only atop the building, for instance). That I can't tell, but probably the current code doesn't allow to set the height at which the model starts to stretch to fit its final shape.

But anyway (and that's a big ANYWAY),

I think the building animations should be changed for it to have multiple stages - much more lovely, and much more informative than the current animation. I will speak about it now, but for those that aren't interested, I say in advance that IMHO those improvements shouldn't be our main priority right now (that last is specular and normal mapping, again "IMHO").

My idea for the building animation is the following:

Building stages. When you're constructing something, the current animation only displays the final model "inflating", which is a bit frustrating and, I daresay, unpractical for the player to easily tell the stage of completion that the building currently is in. My idea would involve making it so that all the base facilities models are made with at least 3 meshes, being them only fractions of the final building, and not the final building itself.

The "inflating buildings" were caused by the limitations of the graphics processing potential of both the engine and hardware from the epoch WZ2100 was developed. We may now have the possibility to change that (but that should only be made in the future, as I already stated that I think).

The first two meshes would be a rough infrastructure of the final building, and they can be "inflated" as they currently are, but one after another. That is, we could have the steel infrastructure model grown first-handedly, assuing a really rough shape of the final stage. After that, the second mesh, the concrete infrastructure, could be grown over the ateel infrastructure, assuming more of a final shape, but still rough and unfinished (no real walls yet, just beams and pillars). After all that is fully grown, the final model would grow to its final shape.

Besides the visual improvement in the animation, that can aggregate a strong practical information for the player, as it would be easy to tell the approximate stage of the construction - we have then 3 main stages, and the player can easily, even sub-consciently see that as milestones that represent a percentage of the progress in the construction: If the steel structure is still growing, then the building is not even half-finished. If the concrete one is already present ald almost finishing, then the building should be around 40% to 60% complete. If the finishing is already growing, then it won't take long for it to be functional. Currently, since we can't have a clear view of the vertical growth and it is unpractical to compare the current and final height of the building (it is very unpractical to try to remember the final appearance of the building in your memory and try to compare that with what you are actually seeing - it is much easier to compare two things that you're effectively seeing), and therefore, it is often troublesome to easily stipulate what is the stage of construction.

But then, there's a would-be problem with that: How could the player easily tell what building is being built, if they're queued and he can't clearly remember what he placed where, and the first building stages aren't similar enough to be easily associated to the final structure "at-a-glance"? The answer is in distinct baseplates. IMO, they need to be done so that the player can distinguish:

a-What building it is, based mainly on visual informations from the baseplate.
b-What is the current stage of construction, based mainly on visual informations from the look of each stage of the structure itself (sounds intuitively correct and practical for me :P )

The infrastructure models could be made of simple faces with transparency so that they can look like thinner pieces without the need of intricate meshes or high poly-counts. If someone is up to make effective 3d meshes for the infrastructure, poly count wouldn't even be a problem because it would be just a question of setting the model to stop displaying the infrastructure meshes after the last one reaches its final form and the building is finished. Defensive structures could possibly be resumed to 2 stages: infrastructure and finishing (needless to say that even then the fifty/fifty milestone would also help on determining the completion stage) :)

I don't think we need different ways of rendering the construction animation, like making blocks spawing or polys unfolding of anything like that - we sincerely don't even have the manpower to do that (please note, I'm not trying to tell that I'm staff or anything, it's just a way for me to express how I still feel like part of this open-source project that is free for the community to develop). IMO, great improvements (both visually and practically) can be obtained by changing the building animation so that separate pie meshes (of specific levels) are grown in a specific order, and lastly, some of those specific levels are removed from the rendered model to avoid harming the performance. We could also use levels that are instantly displayed without the animation, to produce the "add-on" upgrade effect that zamaszysty proposed.

Sorry for the overwhelming post, but most of you already know that I like to describe things in a good way, along with reasons.

All of those improvements in the code or scripts (I don't really know, probably I'll go through a programming course to be less ignorant in that aspect) are now guaranteed to have returns for the community, I daresay. We are seeing the Art Revolution being developed in an advanced stage, it is really touching for me to see what it became and how the guys are doing great models and earning the admiration of the community. Hopefully it also works as motivation for the staff, as a sign of how WZ2100 will always have something about it and people willing to help. It would be boring if I told that I still think that all work would be more effective with coordinators, so I'll stop at mentioning it, so please don't mind if it is really a nuisance.

Best regards to all, especially to those with patience to read all this and think about it. I've wrote that for you.
~Olrox
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I see what you are saying as far as building animations go, but I think the first priority is getting a good rendering engine in place. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5340&start=210#p75123 this would also allow normal maps and greatly increase reliability and speed of the entire game. Once that is done IMHO work could be done on 3 stage buildings

EDIT: Perhaps an engine like this: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features.html could be used
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

@macuser: The problem right now is that all handling of graphics data inside the game is a long series of dirty hacks, and needs to be cleaned up before we can make much use of another graphics engine. This is a work in progress. I intend to look at adding support for normal maps soon, as well. About animations, I am trying to think of a better way to get them into the game as a first step.