NEW STRUCTURE MODELS

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: NEW STRUCTURE MODELS

Post by Olrox »

I'll wait some time for people to help decide which type we'll take. When elio send me the texture map files I can make the textures, then we could make some preview version of the future mod and make it available for the community.
What kind of power plant should I make?
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

i'd also prefer option 2 ;)
I'm curious to know, how you will design it
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Well, after a long time having very little free time because of my studies I'm back, yet again.
Not completely bare-handed, though, as I've made a model for the power plant, as it should be in my opinion.

I've designed it to match the fundamental elements of a fossil fuel power plant, where you get fossil fuel (oil resources), use them to generate heat, transforming that thermal energy into kinetic energy and finally transforming that kinetic energy into electric energy.

I've decided to model it that way thinking about something like that:
1-You have only one resource to gather - oil.
2-You gather it by building an oil derrick, therefore it should be petroleum.
3-Petroleum is used mostly to get fuel of many types, and some polymers. Considering that we want power, we will be processing the fuel obtained from distilling the petroleum, or even burning the petroleum itself (which is unlikely, but whatever)
4-But wait, what kind of power we want? The power that builds reinforced concrete buildings and metal alloy shielded tanks.
5-We only gather one resource, petroleum, therefore the "power" itself isn't transformed into the component materials of the manufactured objects. The "power", therefore, must be used in every process of producting the materials, and in every process of assembling EVERYTHING.
6-That power can only be Electric power, as there isn't Mana energy on wz2100 (as far as I know xD)
7-The most likely process to be used is the one I've mentioned before, so we need a fossil fuel power plant.
8-The current power plant doesn't really look like anything to me, just a large cylinder with a metal tower atop it, so I should redesign it to look like the kind of power plant we would need on the actual state of WZ2100's Earth.

Screenshot follows in the next post.
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

Sounds great!
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

The is it. The chimneys are to let out the smoke from the burning process and hot air, and the large ducts are for getting air for cooling the gases (turning them into liquid again for them to be boiled and move the turbines again, then cool down again, completing the cycle) and for feeding the combustion chambers with oxygen. The fuel tanks are at the underground, for protection, as any direct damage would blow the building up.
Attachments
Power Plant 1
Power Plant 1
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

awesome
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

There are cool looking models here. GREAT work everyone!
Astorian
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

astorian wrote:There are cool looking models here. GREAT work everyone!
Astorian
Image worship developers
Last edited by XANAX on 28 Jul 2009, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Good to see you in the mix again, Olrox. Models 1st class as always. :) Didn't realize what you had to do all that with Elio. In any case, I also appreciate how you think through the underlying rationale for your design decisions - its really cool that you share those details of your thought process. Sounds like you have a formal and solid engineering background - bringing that to the table, investing it in your art, is a plus, IMHO. Interesting to read too... :)

Regards, whip :cool:
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

XANAX wrote: Image worship developers
Sorry i don't get that ...

Astorian
qwerty800
Trained
Trained

Post by qwerty800 »

I have a question...

How can you determine the productivity of your power plant?

As we all know, a power plant (in Warzone, of course!) can handle up to 4 derricks.
If you want to know the saturation of your PP with the current model, you just look at it and count the energy balls in orbit arround it!

But here, there's just no way to know that!

PS: My favorite factory model is 1.3.4 newer ones are goods, but this one immediatly make me think: "Power, efficacity, productivity"
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

First of all, I want to thank everyone who appreciates my work, that appreciation by itself is what makes me want to keep going.
Now, about some specific comments:
qwerty800 wrote: How can you determine the productivity of your power plant?
I'll add lights to the model, when I manage to convert it into a .PIE, and that comes after I'm able to get my texture maps to make the textures. Elio offered to make the maps then send them to me, then I could design the textures and with his help I would convert the model into the PIE file for it to be used ingame. However, I didn't get any map from him yet (just a preview on what the map for the hq would be), so I guess I'm again in need of someone who knows modding, and of someone who can help me mapping the models and then putting together my textures and models into the necessary PIE files.
ANY help is welcome!
qwerty800 wrote: PS: My favorite factory model is 1.3.4 newer ones are goods, but this one immediatly make me think: "Power, efficacity, productivity"
Yeah, that model was very interesting. However, the style I had in mind for that ones was too futuristic, and I came to understand that the building design that would fit into the game's setting better would be the bunkerish design, which features tapered walls, protected entrances (I used archs because of the structural advantages that would add to the conveniently protective shape), partially underground buildings, ventilation shafts instead of windows and visible concrete reinforcements to the outer walls of the buildings. If the raw models allows seeing buildings like that rugged structures we have in mind, texturized models should perfectly meet the requirements for cohesion between my models and the world depicted by Warzone 2100.

The main purpose of that bunkerish style is the cohesion with the game's story. The Project used existing military buildings as base for their various facilities, as they didn't have the necessary knowledge to design their own buildings, and in the beginning, they didn't even have the tools or materials. That scavenging procedure lasted until they could get their hands on the necessary building tools, and after that, they could build their own buildings, but still based on the designs of the buildings they were already using. As their first buildings were military buildings, I believe that they had to set their facilities on military buildings that weren't made for that specific purpose, and I imagine those buildings as bunkers.

After thinking about that, I've decided to ask the community what they thought about that style, and if they thought that it would suit better the game's setting than the futuristic designs I've made before. The unanimous response was a confirmation that the new style would better fit the game.
XANAX wrote: Image worship developers
Hahahahahaha! Yeah, the work that the dev team makes is excellent.
I'm no dev though. :P
whippersnapper wrote:Sounds like you have a formal and solid engineering background - bringing that to the table, investing it in your art, is a plus, IMHO.
Well, I just make some research before making my designs, therefore avoiding making mistakes, in a certain way. Bringing up every piece of knowledge we have while creating something won't hurt anybody, really?
Well, I hope not! xD
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

Olrox wrote: I'll add lights to the model, when I manage to convert it into a .PIE, and that comes after I'm able to get my texture maps to make the textures. Elio offered to make the maps then send them to me, then I could design the textures and with his help I would convert the model into the PIE file for it to be used ingame. However, I didn't get any map from him yet (just a preview on what the map for the hq would be), so I guess I'm again in need of someone who knows modding, and of someone who can help me mapping the models and then putting together my textures and models into the necessary PIE files.
ANY help is welcome!
I can help you with the UV mapping and exporting a pie for game if you want. I just need the model in 3ds or obj or other format than pie (blender would be cool)
I can import/export only WZ pie files thats why i need your model for UV mapping in something else i can open/import to blender. I can export UV layout picture you can use to create the desired texture and finally make a pie for WZ.
astorian wrote: Sorry i don't get that ...

Astorian
I get it now and i agree the developers are doing a great job! :D

Best Regards,
Astorian
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

Olrox wrote: I'll add lights to the model, when I manage to convert it into a .PIE, and that comes after I'm able to get my texture maps to make the textures. Elio offered to make the maps then send them to me, then I could design the textures and with his help I would convert the model into the PIE file for it to be used ingame. However, I didn't get any map from him yet (just a preview on what the map for the hq would be), so I guess I'm again in need of someone who knows modding, and of someone who can help me mapping the models and then putting together my textures and models into the necessary PIE files.
ANY help is welcome!
I can help you with the UV mapping and exporting a pie for game if you want. I just need the model in 3ds or obj or other format than pie (blender would be cool)
I can import/export only WZ pie files thats why i need your model for UV mapping in something else i can open/import to blender. I can export UV layout picture you can use to create the desired texture and finally make a pie for WZ.
astorian wrote: Image worship developers
Sorry i don't get that ...

Astorian
I get it now and i agree the developers are doing a great job! :D

Best Regards,
Astorian
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Olrox wrote:
Quote whippersnapper: "Sounds like you have a formal and solid engineering background - bringing that to the table, investing it in your art, is a plus, IMHO."

Well, I just make some research before making my designs, therefore avoiding making mistakes, in a certain way. Bringing up every piece of knowledge we have while creating something won't hurt anybody, really?
Well, I hope not! xD
I can thoroughly appreciate that as I share a like approach (a long codified tradition in the genre of lit called "Hard Science Fiction" for example) to what I do in WZ and frankly prefer going about designing new stuff this way than via pure caprice (in the context of WZ). I also favor primary sources over second hand and tertiary filters as invoked through the artistic vision of others - like in cinema, for example. I appreciate, enjoy and am much inspired by the artistry of others, don't get me wrong, however in my work I do believe in deriving my compelling take by going back to primary source material and original perceptions Those who clearly derive their PoV from pre-filtered and pre-digested secondary and tertiary sources are obvious to me and even mildly annoying when they also forcefully take a pseudo authoritative stance to anything when rightly their opinions are no more informed than nursery rhyme whimsy or romper room high-jinks. We live in the age of Google and ubiquitous net access and the lazy-minded are readily exposed.

Anyway.... I respect most the approach you express as your modus to making something new..

*whipper steps down from his rickety soap-box.* ;)

Regards, whip :ninja: