Repainted Jammer model

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Repainted Jammer model

Post by Forgon »

I have repainted the Jammer to the same colour as the Radar Detector and adjusted the blurring effect it causes within its range. The main purpose of this was to make it easier to distinguish it from the CB. All details can be found in ticket #4769.

New model:
Jammer model after applying the patches of ticket #4769
Jammer model after applying the patches of ticket #4769
jammer_model_new.png (386.49 KiB) Viewed 15178 times
Old model:
Jammer model before applying the patches of ticket #4769
Jammer model before applying the patches of ticket #4769
jammer_model_old.png (384.16 KiB) Viewed 15178 times
Since I am no artist, I would appreciate feedback, especially if you can think of a better design.

Some existing graphics mods like Art Revolution might also require adjustments if my suggestion gets committed.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Repainted Jammer model

Post by Per »

I don't quite like how it becomes yellow, no matter what your team colour is - I'm worried that might be confusing. Also, why yellow? Not sure that the radar detector turret is a good source of inspiration, colour-wise.

Haven't looked at the blurring change yet, will try to look at it soon.
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

Per wrote:I don't quite like how it becomes yellow, no matter what your team colour is [...]
Are you referring to the red spots in the center of the radar dishes? Their colour is the same for every team. Here is a new version of the model which preserves them:
Jammer model after applying the patches of ticket #4769 and using the attached texture page
Jammer model after applying the patches of ticket #4769 and using the attached texture page
jammer_model_new.png (412.44 KiB) Viewed 15162 times
The new texture page required for it is attached.
Per wrote:Also, why yellow? Not sure that the radar detector turret is a good source of inspiration, colour-wise.
The tower looks to me like something made out of a metal.
I found "gold coating" to be the least worst re-interpretation.
Attachments
new texpage for Jammer with red dots in the center of radar dishes
new texpage for Jammer with red dots in the center of radar dishes
Slye_Fox
Trained
Trained

Post by Slye_Fox »

Try just the dishes being yellow.
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

Slye_Fox wrote:Try just the dishes being yellow.
The resulting contrast is insufficient, as shown by this comparison of my current design with your suggestion at distances 500, 2500 and 5000:
CB and Jammer towers and tanks next to each other at distance 500. The upper row shows Forgon's design, the lower row Slye_Fox's proposal.
CB and Jammer towers and tanks next to each other at distance 500. The upper row shows Forgon's design, the lower row Slye_Fox's proposal.
cb_and_jammer_distance_500_new_design_comparison.png (297.3 KiB) Viewed 15075 times
CB and Jammer towers and tanks next to each other at distance 2500. The upper row shows Forgon's design, the lower row Slye_Fox's proposal.
CB and Jammer towers and tanks next to each other at distance 2500. The upper row shows Forgon's design, the lower row Slye_Fox's proposal.
cb_and_jammer_distance_2500_new_design_comparison.png (295.42 KiB) Viewed 15075 times
CB and Jammer towers and tanks next to each other at distance 5000. The upper row shows Forgon's design, the lower row Slye_Fox's proposal.
CB and Jammer towers and tanks next to each other at distance 5000. The upper row shows Forgon's design, the lower row Slye_Fox's proposal.
cb_and_jammer_distance_5000_new_design_comparison.png (293.33 KiB) Viewed 15075 times
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

I swapped it out with the VTOL CB tower in my mod because nobody uses that and the Jammer turret resembles a CB turret so it made even more sense. Although part of me thinks that's not really a true solution.
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

The design with the red spot in the center of radar dishes is now my official new model and ticket #4769 has been updated accordingly.

I still have two unanswered questions about PIE models though, which are necessary for patch patch 1 of that ticket:
  • Why do helicopter models use some negative coordinates? Are their PIE3 UV values not supposed to range from 0 to 1?
  • What is the purpose of texture flag 4200? It is used in a few PIE2 and PIE3 models.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

I have used the wiki article and Google to answer both of my questions about PIE formats. Hopefully, my explanations are correct :|
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Forgon wrote:I still have two unanswered questions about PIE models though, which are necessary for patch patch 1 of that ticket:

Why do helicopter models use some negative coordinates? Are their PIE3 UV values not supposed to range from 0 to 1?
What is the purpose of texture flag 4200? It is used in a few PIE2 and PIE3 models.
You asked these questions I linked you to the answers
Forgon wrote:I have used the wiki article and Google to answer both of my questions about PIE formats. Hopefully, my explanations are correct :|
Where did you explain these?
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

Berg wrote:
Forgon wrote:I still have two unanswered questions about PIE models though [...]
You asked these questions I linked you to the answers
Forgon wrote:I have used the wiki article and Google to answer both of my questions about PIE formats. Hopefully, my explanations are correct :|
Where did you explain these?
Look at this patch.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Per wrote:I don't quite like how it becomes yellow, no matter what your team colour is - I'm worried that might be confusing. Also, why yellow? Not sure that the radar detector turret is a good source of inspiration, colour-wise.

Haven't looked at the blurring change yet, will try to look at it soon.
I agree, I don't really like how this looks at all.
Yellow is such an odd color.

I also don't see why the change for the blur effect.
It is really easy to tell what is what, now, the less blur makes things look normal, so you can't really tell anymore.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I had a look at the new ECM visual changes in-game (sorry for being so late - been really busy the last few weeks), and I really do not like them. The yellow turret looks really out of place, and the blur is hard to see. I agree that the blur I made originally was not all that visually appealing, but it needs to be clear to players what is inside and outside of the ECM effect.
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

Post by Guardsman Brendo »

Per wrote:I had a look at the new ECM visual changes in-game (sorry for being so late - been really busy the last few weeks), and I really do not like them. The yellow turret looks really out of place, and the blur is hard to see. I agree that the blur I made originally was not all that visually appealing, but it needs to be clear to players what is inside and outside of the ECM effect.
As to what you said about the blur, I think that the current implementation is enough. Actually, I first discovered it after placing a Jammer tower instead of a CB Tower. That made me question the blur as a bug until I realized what I did. We do need some sort of color change to the Jammer tower, so people can avoid simple mistakes when playing. I suggest adding some sort of red 'wires' to the model. With this, we can preserve the original metal look, while having something that stays somewhat reasonable and likely visible. The red wire things might just snake from points on the top of the Jammer turret and around the dishes on the side.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwh110csfsczp ... 2.png?dl=0
Excuse my bad artwork. I would think the 'wire' in my picture would be thinner, with a slightly darker look with edges that have a slight fade to black. It would also need a more realistic curve.
--As of the above time, this was the last transmission received.
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

Guardsman Brendo wrote:[...] I suggest adding some sort of red 'wires' to the model. With this, we can preserve the original metal look, while having something that stays somewhat reasonable and likely visible. The red wire things might just snake from points on the top of the Jammer turret and around the dishes on the side.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwh110csfsczp ... 2.png?dl=0
Excuse my bad artwork. I would think the 'wire' in my picture would be thinner, with a slightly darker look with edges that have a slight fade to black. It would also need a more realistic curve.
I'm afraid your design provides insufficient contrast.
How would you spot these thin red wires in an instant from a distance greater than or equal to 5000?