Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Berg
Regular
Regular

here we are many years later same issue bunkers half burried

Post by Berg »

as you see the center of model is below ground
as you see the center of model is below ground
Looking at this screen shot you can see the bunker is stretched to make it conform to the ground this places the bunker half under the terrain on the high side this make the bunker harder to hit as its model center is below the ground on that side.
also on the low side it gives a bigger target.
Master version pull this date.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: here we are many years later same issue bunkers half bur

Post by MaNGusT »

there is type flag in pie file that you can use to disable buildings stretching, but then you should modify the model and add additional part under it, to make it look good in game. The only problem with this option is that underground part will be showed in building menu.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

MaNGusT wrote:there is type flag in pie file that you can use to disable buildings stretching,
Do you know this new flag I have not seen it
TYPE

TYPE X

This indicates the type of the file through a hexadecimal combination of flags. The following values can be used:

0x00200 - Reserved for backward compatibility.
0x01000 - Specifies that the model should not be stretched to fit terrain. For defensive buildings that have a deep foundation.
0x10000 - Specifies the usage of TCMask feature (Replacement for the old team coloration methods. Check ticket #851).

Found it will work on bunkers again lets see if we cant fix it
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

The solution to fix deep foundation of buildings with disabled stretching that incorrectly show in build menu could be to add the foundation as level 2 and render only level 1 in build menu.
I don't think that it'll be hard to fix for coders , but artists should prepare a test mod first.
Another way is to use baseplates code for defense towers and walls. it'll be even easier, imho.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Well there was my solution years back that allowed a foundations to deform to the terrain it worked in the build menu too.
I tired to disable the terrain deform flag and add the extra length but it looks crappy in menu and in the game as it needs to be very long to achieve coverage of some slopes.
My idea on this is that the Code needs to be reset back to original method before it was changed.
That way we can add a one pixel long foundation that will be used to stretch terrain.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

I have noticed this sort of a thing happening with vtol landing pads as well where in the past they would flatten the terrain beneath them they don't now since the model got changed which can cause some very weird visuals with parts of the ground sticking up through the landing pad, if they are build on uneven terrain although i don't have a screen shot of that just now.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: here we are many years later same issue bunkers half burried

Post by Berg »

Bethrezen wrote: 15 May 2018, 16:39 I have noticed this sort of a thing happening with vtol landing pads as well where in the past they would flatten the terrain beneath them they don't now since the model got changed which can cause some very weird visuals with parts of the ground sticking up through the landing pad, if they are build on uneven terrain although i don't have a screen shot of that just now.
I know what your saying this is something that was broken a few years back and never repaired.
There is many bug reports in for this but it cant be fixed with the code we have now.
The original code models could be made with a foundation to address this problem.
Because of code changes this patch will not work now http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/2333