How tough is 3d modeling?

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Karthik_Prakash_Iyer
Greenhorn

How tough is 3d modeling?

Post by Karthik_Prakash_Iyer »

I love this game a lot... and i've a few ideas for units and vehicle bodies and all.... but i don't know anything about 3d modeling for games or anything... am only good at drawing though.... so,if i have to contribute,how tough is it to learn 3d modeling? :stare: O_o
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: How tough is 3d modeling?

Post by Berg »

There are many 3D model programs i use http://www.misfitcode.com/misfitmodel3d/ its not as complex as blender.
Read a lot ...
Help files are your friend Grasshopper
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

The question is: Do you find it intuitive to think of everyday objects as polygonal shapes? Are you familiar to the concept of coloring your models by mapping the polygons to a texture image (aka UV mapping)? Have you looked at wireframes and textures of various models for games?
Once you know what you are dealing with, it's just about learning the interface of a new program.

edit:
It took me a few days to find a 3d progam back in the day, after which I produced my first tank which was pretty much a few stacked cubes & cylinders. I quickly got to making more complex shapes, as well as tweaking individual vertices. Then at some point I found blender, which had a more complex interface. At first it put me off, but after a while I took another look at it, followed some tutorials and in a week I was modeling faster with blender than with my previous program (realsoft 3d free demo).
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Karthik_Prakash_Iyer
Greenhorn

Ok Brothers.... I will learn... Name the software used for the game's design and all.... will be contributing within 2 weeks! :)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

The program they used 15 years ago when they made the game was probably some old version of autodesk 3d studio, but nowadays there are some really good free alternatives, see blender.
The program berg suggested is probably sufficient as well (slightly clumsy though), but I need blender for the more advanced stuff.

Once you have made a 3d model, you can export it as .obj and use WMIT to make it into a warzone .pie model.
ImageImage
Karthik_Prakash_Iyer
Greenhorn

Ok Thankyou Brother :) Will start ASAP B)
Karthik_Prakash_Iyer
Greenhorn

Yes,I downloaded Blender yesterday! And learned how to make models... simple models.... Just need Some info on what all i must do after a model is completed. Coloring? Animation? Brothers,Enlighten me on those points please :)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-FfB9kRmE
That is a good first tutorial I think. Note that he uses the cycles renderer and therefore his material setup is a bit different. You can choose the renderer from the center of the upper bar. By default, it is set to "Blender Render".
ImageImage