Eyecandy on my next project, hipoly WIP version
Xfire-->chris37killer
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: Models by Alpha93

Post by Jorzi »

Great stuff :)
One thing you might want to try out is modeling with subsurf modifier and creases. (If you want to check it out on google, search for "subdivision surfaces")
I've used both methods, of course. Polygon modeling with edgesplit modifier for the walls & hardpoints, and subsurf for most turrets.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

!UPDATE!
Edit:
Xfire-->chris37killer
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Nice progress, but how come you always abandon the smooth shading + edgesplit and end up using only flat shading?
ImageImage
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

Here you are :V
Xfire-->chris37killer
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Thanks :) Of course it's not such a huge matter while you are still modeling, but it really does produce a much nicer normal map bake imo.
ImageImage
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

Which is exactly the issue I'm currently having, I tried to bake the NM but applied to the low poly comes out as nothing short of crappy.
Edit: fixed some of it, was related to image sampling not set to normal map.
Not exactly the best result, I'll eventually paint out the artifacts.
NM + AO
I'm also trying to AO Map w/ Selected to Active option and the result looks quite good, I might iron out the issues if I deem it timeworthy. Definitely not timeworthy because the barrels are hexes while they would've needed to be octagons to reach the detail level I want.
Edit2: I'll probably split the turret and the barrels, since the turret model is used by all of the cam 2 AA weapons.

!UPDATE!
Improved the low poly + essentially correct AO mapped and Normal mapped. Artifacts are mainly due to bevels on the hipoly and I really have no idea of how to fix them.. Guess I'll try to mess around with the models' dimensions.
@Jorzi: that reminded me I hadn't done the correct NM for the HPV (Hipoly was flatshaded and edges weren't split). I've redone it and I'll send it to you.
Xfire-->chris37killer
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

Huge thanks to Jorzi (gotta tell me what kind of sorcery you did):
Xfire-->chris37killer
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

It's a craft, and unfortunately there's no quick way to learn it. I wish I could show you my tricks face-to-face, since they are a bit hard to explain, but I'll try to go through some points once I have more time :)
ImageImage
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

Started working on my next project while I wait to see cnceo's textures for the whirlwind

Xfire-->chris37killer
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

Added what I'm supposing to be the target tracking radar.

Further enriched with details
Xfire-->chris37killer
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Nice progress :)
A few things to think about for the details: The turrets are probably not milled out of one solid steel block, so there will be some kind of segmentation/welding and other kinds of seams, bolts etc. Now in reality, these details would probably not be visible at warzone range, but since it is a game, it gives more visual appeal to make them exaggerated enough to show up at long range (see my python & tracks for ideas).
ImageImage
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

I assume most of nowadays turrets are made by melting steel into stamps which have the holes for screws and bolts, usually around the hatches and even then I assume that the lower part of the hatch is made from the same stamp as the turret's. Welding doesn't seem like a good idea for anything but the gun barrel because if the tank takes a hit there'd be a risk that welds/bolts/screws would outright come out of their place (see: Spalling) and kill the crew unless some kind of spall liner is employed. And the game's tanks are manned, as we already know.

Perhaps you might like something like this

Xfire-->chris37killer
Duha
Trained
Trained

Post by Duha »

Alpha93 wrote:I assume most of nowadays turrets are made by melting steel into stamps which have the holes for screws and bolts, usually around the hatches and even then I assume that the lower part of the hatch is made from the same stamp as the turret's. Welding doesn't seem like a good idea for anything but the gun barrel because if the tank takes a hit there'd be a risk that welds/bolts/screws would outright come out of their place (see: Spalling) and kill the crew unless some kind of spall liner is employed. And the game's tanks are manned, as we already know.
If you mean tank turrets it uses stamps with welding around hatches.
Gun barrel never use welding.
Tank turret is not connected to armor. If you turn tank up-down it will fall off. :)
http://addons.wz2100.net/ developer