Models by Michael

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
madinca88
Rookie
Rookie

Models by Michael

Post by madinca88 »

Hi guy's,

Been a while since i did any 3D modelling, today got in the mood again... and made the HQ

661 Verts, 613 Faces
blhq.png

[The extension blend has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Tried to get it ingame with no luck, the same with flame, obj and 3ds, for some reason wmit cant even open the exported 3ds
Warzone2100.RPT
RPT log
(2.99 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Would like to know how it look's ingame + textured ... well off to make something else
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: Models by Michael

Post by Berg »

Nice to see your trying ...we need all the ideas and artists as possible
Your request that someone convert your model and texture it is not really how it works.
You should texture your own models as texturing is the main part of the model for without texture its just a (grey Mass) 3d object.
As for making your model work in game try exporting it in (object).obj format and then convert it to pie in WMIT program.
If you can run WMIT try looking at the orginal HQ convert it to obj format and import it into blender see how the texturing works...
Best Regards Berg
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Low-poly modeling isn't easy! I dabbled in it a bit, got caught up doing other projects for Warzone.

Keep at it, Berg was once new to it, and after about a year he's one of the most productive modellers here. :lecture:
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Truth be told, this phase is craft, readily learned.

The much more difficult art phase to master is the texturing & that is exactly what is in short supply everywhere.

For every ten 3D modeler artists, 9 can't really texture worth a damn. If you can texture artfully, you can write your own ticket anywhere.

Good place to start is Olrox's Texture Tutorial pinned right here in this bb. His technique is very powerful and has a long and lauded history in fine art painting. Highly recommended.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
madinca88
Rookie
Rookie

Post by madinca88 »

Cyborg Factory

365 Verts, 319 Faces
BLCFACT1.png

[The extension blend has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Played around about an hour to texture the HQ ... not happening... will try Olrox's tutorial... don't expect miracles i'm doing this out of boredom
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

madinca88 wrote: .....

Played around about an hour to texture the HQ ... not happening... will try Olrox's tutorial... don't expect miracles i'm doing this out of boredom
It's a process. What you put in is what you get back. The road to success is paved with failures, good mentors if you have the disposition to make the best use of 'em. It's not about miracles. Nothing like wholeheartedly engaging a challenge to dispell the boredom and be enchanted by your steady progress toward mastery, one step at a time. :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
madinca88
Rookie
Rookie

Post by madinca88 »

problem is that i already know all that, can't keep myself interested in one thing long enough to learn something more than just the basics in something....

That really suck's BTW ...
madinca88
Rookie
Rookie

Post by madinca88 »

(Warning) Load object data: blcfact1.pie produced error Argument 'Length' must be greater or equal to zero

That's the error i get in flame, exported from blender to .obj then with wmit to .pie
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

FlaME may have troubles with certain PIE files, try throwing directly into the game.
madinca88
Rookie
Rookie

Post by madinca88 »

Been using Blender 2.64 and i think that might be the problem... opened the blend in 2.59 and i get only the wire frame ... notice the cube :P this sux now i have to start from scratch...

EDIT: no i don't, it seems that wmit doesn't open them the first time try until it does...
2012-12-26_1331.png
PS: the first time tried with the game read the error log i posted in my first post
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

PS: the first time tried with the game read the error log i posted in my first post
Hmm :oops:

Code: Select all

Log message: error   |07:49:37: [iV_ProcessIMD:706] iV_ProcessIMD blhq.pie: only png textures supported
Log message: error   |07:49:37: [dataIMDBufferLoad:697] IMD load failed - blhq.pie
only png textures supported
So, what was wrong with the texture?
madinca88
Rookie
Rookie

Post by madinca88 »

nothing really, seems that i didn't apply one to the model :D uups
madinca88
Rookie
Rookie

Post by madinca88 »

Got it ingame with no texture, big green blob and decided to give it some paint... baked AO, overlayed a metal texture that i made and here's the result.

Still better than a green blob :lol2:

Can't seem to get the scale right and yeah no radar dish... O_o
Attachments
blhq.7z
AO, UV, .pie, .blend
(455.54 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
finally got it ingame, looks like crap
finally got it ingame, looks like crap
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I downloaded your files, looked quite good, you're doing very nice progress here ;)
Your UV mapping is pretty ok, but I made some optimisation suggestions. Part of a good texturing job is unwrapping it to make it easy to paint. Also, texture space can sometimes be re-used, for example when you have multiple identical parts or symmetries, making it faster to paint and giving more texture space.
Attachments
AO.jpg
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
madinca88
Rookie
Rookie

Post by madinca88 »

Thank you for your suggestions, need to redo the UV's from scratch... don't know how to remove the multiple parts...
This is what would remain if i remove the multiple, identical UV's
AOv2.png
Would you be so kind as to teach me how to do that ? :)