Structures by design

For code related discussions and questions
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Re: Structures by design

Post by milo christiansen »

Reg312 wrote:If anyone want help with testing...
here is Structure Design mod (alternative Warzone version based on latest master version)
Yay!!!! just what I've been waiting for :yahoo: I'll test this as soon as I get home :3
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Staff »

Reg312 wrote: if you have problems with windows version, also you need run it under administrative rights

[update] Added more steps in windows installation
1) Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/co ... px?id=5555
4) Install fonts from folder \Fonts in warzone unpacked folder
- onen file DejaVuSans.ttf and click "Install"
- open file DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf and click "install"

sorry, i unable to test windows version on clean machine, so is possible i forgot something else
O_o
Nope, sorry, there should never be a need to run it under administrative rights, never. That sets off all sorts of alarm bells, and even though your intention may be innocent, I wouldn't go near it. :stressed:
Word of warning to everyone else, this is a 100% unsupported build.
The only reason the official installer asks for administrative rights is so it can install it in the correct user directory, which is protected in vista / win7.

I also doubt this will work, since you are missing other required files. That is one reason why we don't do official builds with MSVC.
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Emm. Will this ever be pulled into the official git as a branch? Cause complete cloning of a warzone2100 git takes a lot of time for me ...
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

NoQ wrote:Emm. Will this ever be pulled into the official git as a branch? Cause complete cloning of a warzone2100 git takes a lot of time for me ...
But if you already have a Warzone 2100 clone, a

Code: Select all

git remote add crabster git://github.com/crabster/warzone2100.git
git fetch crabster
git checkout crabster/strd2
shouldn't take a lot of time.
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

@Staff
i said: if someone want help with testing...so please do not panic (and dont be paranoic) :)
anyway, i know some users here good enough to test my build and say what can be wrong
2) administrative rights may be required to allow program to create folder in "my documents" (or may be something else, like register fonts)
on first run program will create folder with config. and etc
so it can be required only for first run.
note: you need run my WZ build with administrative rights only if you failed it to run before
3) half of players play 2.3.9 which is also 100% unsupported build.
4) i hope i did not missed any other files, because i sent such build before
if this dont work, my apologies, i still need errors screens

i need just some hints about work of my patch, if someone got time to test
Flail13
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Flail13 »

Works ok for me. Some bugs I noticed:
After about 20 min in one skirmish there was an unexplained crash with no debugging output (nvm - didn't look in the right directory).
Every destroyed structure is producing an artifact.
There is an odd "10 players" button in the list of maps that causes a crash when I tried to play it.

I haven't played through much of the tech tree yet (except with "research all"), but it's looking good.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Some comments of mine from IRC, replicating it here in case it is useful for this discussion (comments from other people removed, since I do not think it polite to copy their comments to another forum without asking first):

<per> designing templates for combining only two component types feels a bit of a waste
<per> it seems i want to build defenses when things are very rushed, ie when i am attacked. i ended up having to open up the design dialog to make a template first, which was stressful. maybe because i was bad at planning ahead.
<per> but still... we get new weapons very often, and having to design new defense templates whenever you get a new template in case you need it seems a bit of a chore, too
<per> ...whenever you get a new weapon...
<per> so, what i was thinking while playtesting this, and i'm just thinking aloud here, is maybe we could let trucks build only foundations, then if you select trucks and click on a foundation or a wall, you get a building menu with weapons only
<per> if you wanted more than 1 structure, you could drag-build foundations, then drag-build weapons on top (or just drag-build on top of an existing wall)
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

@Flail13
can you send stderr.txt file generated in wz directory (very interesting to see what crashed for you, it can be AI)
"Every destroyed structure is producing an artifact." - seems this bug from latest master
"10 players" button.. i will remove. its glitch in my data directory
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

@Per
i accept your arguments, but i dont know wz code enough to implement your suggestions (it seems too complex for me right now)
if someone will help with graphical background, then i can try
so i just dont know... :( :(
also in future we can add more components in design (like sensor, 2,3,4 turrets etc)
also i planned add more stat parameters in design screen
Flail13
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Flail13 »

Reg312, I got another similar crash. The stderr file contains only this repeated:

Code: Select all

error   |08:35:50: [intValidTemplate:3379] No body given for template
error   |08:35:50: [js_buildDroid:1400] Invalid template Bloke
Here is the crash dump file, if that is any help.
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

@Flail thank you, did you played with scavengers on? if you played with AI, what AI you used?? (nexus, sempferi, nullbot?)
i have some ideas why this happened and i believe it is not related to my patch :)
i'll check this error (seems AI tries to use non-existent body or smth like that)
Flail13
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Flail13 »

Those error messages were repeated occasionally through the game. Both times were against Nullbot. The second time only, I was playing with scavengers. There were no mods loaded.
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

NoQ wrote:Emm. Will this ever be pulled into the official git as a branch? Cause complete cloning of a warzone2100 git takes a lot of time for me ...
i'm afraid project developers dont have time to review such patches
or just they dont want anything

is anyone have some suggestions about way how structure design should work? may be i should add or remove something?
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

I downloaded and played this and so far (almost) no problems :)

The only bad thing I found is that the AI won't build any defensive structures :( and you get spammed by messages about the game trying and failing to place an artifact.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

thanks for testing
AI should be fixed somehow, i'll try change scripts
i need word from project devs about future of this patch