Compiling using Code::Blocks and MinGW

For code related discussions and questions
MechWarrior001
Greenhorn

Compiling using Code::Blocks and MinGW

Post by MechWarrior001 »

I'm relatively new to coding and compiling so I thought I'd go with a relatively simple IDE instead of using makefiles which I don't really understand yet. Problem is, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm created my project, copy & pasted all the Warzone 2.3.0 source code into the root project folder, then I got this devpkg archive and copied it's contents to the root project folder also. But now it's asking for SDL headers which I don't have and was wondering where I could get. Also I got a copy of SDL_stdinc.h off of the internet but it looks like a *.html in C's .h format so that's setting me back. What do you think I should do next?
Desolator4u
Trained
Trained

Re: Compiling using Code::Blocks and MinGW

Post by Desolator4u »

Dude, I spoke to Zarel saying I want to help out, so he asked me to get the source compiled first. I got the source, and I already have Code::Blocks installed with MinGW compiler, but I am as lost as you are (or even more) with actually compiling the game.The guide to compile it in Windows says the instructions may not work lol
I was thinking of getting MS Visual C++ Express, since there is a guide for compiling with it, but I really don't have 500MB to spare on this crappy laptop for it :|

I know i'll be of some use once I am able to just get the game to compile with Code::Blocks! I hope one of the devs, or anyone else, can find some time to help us through this.

Nuff Respeck
~Des
>> Xfire ID: desolator4u | Warzone 2100 Xfire Group: http://www.xfire.com/communities/theproject/ <<
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

I don't believe anyone is using CodeBlocks.

The basic problem with IDEs is you need to understand enough to get the project into whatever build system the IDE uses. With the Makefiles, you type the word 'make' and stand back.
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

There is a unmaintained Code::Blocks project for Linux and CC in the 2.3 branch.
This might be place to start if you want to use the Code::Blocks for everything.

On Linux I use an IDE to edit the files (CodeLite) and then use the makefiles to compile, this might be an easy solution on windows as well.
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?ti ... :Blocks.3F
MechWarrior001
Greenhorn

Post by MechWarrior001 »

Ok so I set Code::Blocks to use a custom Makefile but I'm not sure what file is the Makefile. I have multiple *.in and *.am files labeled Makefile so I'm a little confused. Which one is the Makefile I need to use?
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

*The* makefile is the one called Makefile. It is generated by the configure script. The make utility uses it by default although you can override that. The ones named Makefile.* are inputs for configure.
Desolator4u
Trained
Trained

Post by Desolator4u »

MechWarrior001 where are you??? Have you been successful with this? :|

Nuff Respeck
~Des
>> Xfire ID: desolator4u | Warzone 2100 Xfire Group: http://www.xfire.com/communities/theproject/ <<
MechWarrior001
Greenhorn

Post by MechWarrior001 »

No I haven't, I'm still not sure how to run the configure script on windows, or what program I need to do so.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Have you read the file COMPILE in the source tree?