Qt branch, mac side

For code related discussions and questions
stwf
Code contributor
Code contributor

Qt branch, mac side

Post by stwf »

Hello All:

Just a note about how the Qt stuff seems from the Mac side, but first off I'm attaching a patch for the keymapping stuff... I've tried a few ways to get the behavior I'd expect from the API docs, but no go. It still refers to the Cntrl key as # and the alt key as %#. Maybe the font needs the right characters? But it does work otherwise.

Anyway other then that the game is playable, but I think there is some deeper OpenGL issues. The menu screens don't draw with the correct background, and sooner or later the "MAIN MENU" text will get scrambled (but not if I turn off the rotation, strange). Usually after traveling to the single player page.

Its tough to figure if this is some kind of program issue triggering this, or simply OpenGL not working right, but stumbling along for a bit. It still seems like we need to disable the CULL_FACE for text, although like I said it doesn't "always" work.

Also I got some improvement in drawing the menu backgrounds by adding this line:

--- lib/ivis_opengl/pieblitfunc.c (revision 10350)
+++ lib/ivis_opengl/pieblitfunc.c (working copy)
@@ -192,10 +192,11 @@
dest.w = Image->Width;
dest.h = Image->Height;
pie_DrawImage(&pieImage, &dest);
+ pie_SetRendMode(REND_OPAQUE);
}

though I'm not sure why. It looks like the title graphic and background draw fine, but then something messes up the lower section of the menus...

Anyway since I understand WIndows has bigger problems, I'm hoping the WIn people fix our OpenGL problems while they are cleaning up their code... Its probably just one or two misconfigured switches. I'm not sure its worth it from the Mac side to keep looking at these cosmetic problems until the Win side is cleaned up ( and hopefully has the problems too, or fixes them). That is unless we get some OpenGL expert in here, but it doesn't seem like anyone wants that title at them moment!

Sorry to ramble, just the FYI. I'm still interested in contributing but I think I've hit the point where I'm just guessing at stuff.....

steve
stwf
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Qt branch, mac side

Post by stwf »

another quick note. Since you are compiling for QT you can take the references to the following frameworks out of the project file.....

AppKit
Cocoa
Quicktime
CoreFoundation
AudioUnit
CoreAudio
AudioToolkit
IOKit

It looks like only OpenGL, Open AL and Carbin are needed.
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

stwf wrote:Also I got some improvement in drawing the menu backgrounds by adding this line:

--- lib/ivis_opengl/pieblitfunc.c (revision 10350)
+++ lib/ivis_opengl/pieblitfunc.c (working copy)
@@ -192,10 +192,11 @@
dest.w = Image->Width;
dest.h = Image->Height;
pie_DrawImage(&pieImage, &dest);
+ pie_SetRendMode(REND_OPAQUE);
}
Could you elaborate about what changed ?

Also, have you tried porting r10381 to the qt branch? The global state variables for iVis where being made invalid in the terrain code, it might be the root issue. QT had been merged before I committed that fix (on the same day.) It shouldn't affect the title menu though.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

I don't get it, if it works on one platform, it should work on the rest.
How can it only work on linux, and not the others?
stwf
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by stwf »

yes, without this the lower menu portion is drawn in opaque black, unless you mouse over the back arrow, in which case it then turns translucent. With my hack it is always translucent. But its still black and as I step through the code it looks like it should be in translucent blue, like the box under the title graphic...

@flank4 I think its actually much worse than that. OpenGL depends greatly on graphics cards, amounts of memory and OpenGL drivers, all which can vary greatly between platforms and drivers. I know Qt is probably supposed to level that out. But on the mac side, I'm talking small issues Basically everything works.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

I had a buddy of mine test the linux version, and it pretty much has the same issues as the mac & windows versions, except that keyboard support seems to work OK.