Research tree editor

For code related discussions and questions
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Research tree editor

Post by winsrp »

Is there a program to be used to modify the research tree without having to go thru all the txt files that most of them are not even explained in the guide.??

Something like drag and drop maybe?

I was looking into the mp.wz\stats\research\multiplayer and man... i don't get crap of it.

Now for the ones thinking... heck stop complaining and do something about it, then here it goes, I'm a windows application developer on .net 2008, and I CAN make a program that visually modifies the research tree, research topics, names for upgrades, stats, and all that stuff, IF i can get details information on how all those files actually work together. I'm more than willing to help the devs and every other modder out there to help create a tool that will enhance the experience of modifying upgrades and the research tree, which in the end will make adding new buildings, units, upgrades a walk in the park.... so 2 condition on me working on this

#1 need someone that really know what the heck is he doing to help out here since I'm not going to waste time trying to figure out all the files since there might be lost of guys out here that already know.
#2 need some voluntaries to actually test the app for errors, which can get to screw up your files, so user with files back up experience is preferred since I wont take any blame on screwing up your game

I will make this tool free of charge, free of distribution and free of what ever can be free.

If you want this to be more graphical I can even import the images from the bmp or what ever format they are files, to have researches look the way they look in the game, or as similar as possible to help on the graphical part of the tool. I know that maybe a drag and drop thing might be a little to complex, but maybe an easier assignment of pre-requirements and post-requirements would ease everyones life here.

I have already read all the section about text editing about the couple of files there, but there is way to much information missing. Help me help you. ;)

OK voluntaries please raise your hands.
Crushy
Trained
Trained

Re: Research tree editor

Post by Crushy »

I was in the same boat you were once :)

http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/TxtEditing

Hope that helps
Current status: Sick and Learning to model in blender. Failing at both.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Warzone Customizer Kit (aka "WZCK") utility did (& does) this plus a whole lot more editing as well. The only issues are that it only loads v.1.10 /v.1.11 data sets and outputs .wdg and not .wz file structures. This is but one of several reasons why many folks on the WIN platform still run Pumpkin's v.1.10 binary. If you throw "PieSlicer" and "WZ Starter" into the mix (plus all the Mod and AI add-ons and utility tools).... well... the current Mod tool set and pipeline is not even close. Though the WRP road map is clear in how to address all this with new cross-platform tools it could still be years from now before those reach the practical state of v.1.10's tool-set circa 2002.

Regards, whip :ninja:

milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

I started to make a tool set but I quit before I got much done. If I find time to work on it I will see what I can do.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well, i could make a program that does everything is needed, but then again, it just a matter of knowing how things are related.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

winsrp wrote:well, i could make a program that does everything is needed, but then again, it just a matter of knowing how things are related.
Indeed. Might be useful to have a look at Stratdrake's "WZ Customizer Kit", Watermelon's "Stat Editor", Pumpkin's Access db and the WRP's still conceptual only, "WZ Mod Shop" editor (I think that's how it's been referred to). All the relationships are extant and can be derived from these.

Regards, whip :ninja:
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

this would be nice cause id like to add multiplayer tech3 to the campaign research tree.
edit: btw i think data on that dev txt editing page should be updated as i see its not always reflects whats in the current game.Checked latest 2.22 files for that.
Last edited by Tenoh on 24 Aug 2009, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

winsrp wrote:well, i could make a program that does everything is needed, but then again, it just a matter of knowing how things are related.
See this, linked earlier in the thread:
http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/TxtEditing

It describes research.txt. The other research text files aren't mentioned, but they're pretty self-explanatory. Things to note:

- The "weird number" columns of files like prresearch.txt are just completely unused; ignore them.
- researchstructure.txt contains structure prerequisites (structures that need to be built before something can be researched), while resultstructure.txt contains structure results (research topics that allow structures to be built).
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well i have read all the files, and faqs, user guides, and stuff in text editing section, but what are the other files for? the ones not mentioned in text editing? i mean, it says for some what do the columns mean, but it would be cool to have some explanation on what they do.

btw, tx zarel i was wondering what are those for. things start clearing up, i go for more specific questions, how does the game knows that sensor, engineering, and machine gun are already available?
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

winsrp wrote:well i have read all the files, and faqs, user guides, and stuff in text editing section, but what are the other files for? the ones not mentioned in text editing? i mean, it says for some what do the columns mean, but it would be cool to have some explanation on what they do.
An interesting question - how is it that WZCK was created with none of the above documentation in existence (or any, for that matter) almost 5 years before the source was released ?

Not Whistling Dixie, whip ;)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

winsrp wrote:well i have read all the files, and faqs, user guides, and stuff in text editing section, but what are the other files for? the ones not mentioned in text editing? i mean, it says for some what do the columns mean, but it would be cool to have some explanation on what they do.
What's unclear? They all have explanations...
winsrp wrote:btw, tx zarel i was wondering what are those for. things start clearing up, i go for more specific questions, how does the game knows that sensor, engineering, and machine gun are already available?
Those are in the script files, in base.wz/multiplay/skirmish/.
whippersnapper wrote:An interesting question - how is it that WZCK was created with none of the above documentation in existence (or any, for that matter) almost 5 years before the source was released ?
Psh. I wrote some of that documentation, and I didn't even look at the source for most of it. You'd be surprised how effective just guess/check works. That's how I figured out the weight formula.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

whippersnapper wrote:An interesting question - how is it that WZCK was created with none of the above documentation in existence (or any, for that matter) almost 5 years before the source was released ?
Zarel wrote:Psh. I wrote some of that documentation, and I didn't even look at the source for most of it. You'd be surprised how effective just guess/check works. That's how I figured out the weight formula.
Yup. Besides "divine intervention", a la Joan of Arc, there's really only one answer to that rhetorical question. A way of saying that these dog and pony shows have become deja-vu all over again down the road to zilch town. Won't get tedious with supportive reasoning. Besides it's so apparent already, it would too much resemble beating a dead 'ol nag into the ground and that just plain wouldn't be fair, nice, edifying or even mildly amusing. ;)

Jeepers-peepers, whip O_o
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

Zarel wrote:What's unclear? They all have explanations...
OK... lets be even more specific then... looking at the txtediting sections

#1 Templates.txt => good to know what the fields are, but why the game needs a templates file? what does it does?
#2 Assignweapons.txt => same here since its assigned to templates
#3 tructureweapons.txt => just guessing here that does something when Structures.txt is pointing to a defend structure???
#4 What does IMD means i see it everywhere...???
#5 prresearch.txt => dunno, what is it?
#6 redcomponents.txt => dunno again!!!
#7 researchfunctions => dunno O_o
#8 redstructure => O_o
#9 etc etc.. for the rest of the files ....

Am I getting clear with what is... unclear... ? O_o

I have all the good will to help, but really need some cooperation here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

winsrp wrote:#1 Templates.txt => good to know what the fields are, but why the game needs a templates file? what does it does?
#2 Assignweapons.txt => same here since its assigned to templates
Templates are the game-code term for "designs", you know, turret+body+propulsion combinations? This file generally contains designs for the AI to use, as well designs for units that can't be designed by players, such as cyborgs, scav units, and cyborg transport.
winsrp wrote:#3 tructureweapons.txt => just guessing here that does something when Structures.txt is pointing to a defend structure???
structureweapons tells which weapon goes on which structure.
winsrp wrote:#4 What does IMD means i see it everywhere...???
It's the 3D model (graphics).
winsrp wrote:#5 prresearch.txt => dunno, what is it?
Research prerequisites (things you need to research before you can research the topic).
winsrp wrote:#6 redcomponents.txt => dunno again!!!
Redundant components - components that will be removed from the Design screen when something is researched.
winsrp wrote:#7 researchfunctions => dunno O_o
Result functions: When the research is completed, it will run the corresponding function in functions.txt. It's generally an upgrade function.
winsrp wrote:#8 redstructure => O_o
Redundant structure - see #6, except it's a structure being removed from the Build screen.
winsrp wrote:#9 etc etc.. for the rest of the files ....
Erm, which other files are confusing?
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

:) how nice is to have some useful information thanks zarel for taking your time.

Ill try making a little app to see if i can start poping up some relationships with the names.txt file in it and see if i can start moving things around. Il try to guess some of the fields with the research trees on the page and see what happens.

It would be cool to be able to read pie files and show the 3d image on the app, ill see if i can work that out too. is pie a proprietary format?